What's new

Discussion is this a good graphix card to play crysis

J

jedi322

Newbie
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Z

Zarcu

Getting There
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
66
Looks good to me if you have the money xD
 
I

Ibdc

VIP
VIP
Retired
Messages
4,980
Reaction score
2,172
If you're paying $520 for a graphics card you better be able to play crysis on high detail. Read the reviews, a guy said he gets 24 fps on very high.
 
L

low strife

Enthusiast
Messages
204
Reaction score
12
Depends on the resolution. At 1900x1200 you should manage 25-40 FPs on Very High with 2x AA.
 
S

Saiyan

Member
Messages
3,745
Reaction score
710
save some money and get the 4870x2, its a better card.
 
D

default

Enthusiast
Messages
468
Reaction score
38
Ibdc said:
If you're paying $520 for a graphics card you better be able to play crysis on high detail. Read the reviews, a guy said he gets 24 fps on very high.

i think that was with 2 of em in SLi. one of these cards is equal to 1 9800gx2, and my overclocked gx2 only gets ~19 fps on very high, but it also largely depends on your processor and RAM.

Jedi, what is your processor? and how much RAM do you have? and i wouldn't get this card yet with prices dropping like they are. the 4870x2 is shaping up to be a great card and will probably cost less than this card.
 
P

Psycho Homer

VIP
VIP
Retired
Messages
3,711
Reaction score
947
Umm... A GTX 280 is not equal to a 9800GX2. The GTX 280 is quite a bit better.
 
D

default

Enthusiast
Messages
468
Reaction score
38
Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com
set the 9800gx2 to 805 core and 1125 memory and check the results. This is what i run mine at 24/7

the GTX is a better card, but not by quite a bit. In literally every test i have seen the GTX has a slightly higher minimum FPS, but a much less stable average FPS. and for the fact that it is *almost* twice the price of the GX2? So then it should be about the performance leap from the 8600GT to the 8800GT.

overall for the price right now, the GTX is really quite a rip off. there has been speculation that this is why nvidia is starting to cut off the 9800gx2 (that it offers almost the same performance for half the price) nvidia doesnt want to have to not only deal with ATI smashing them in the performance/price catagory as well as their own cards... :tongue:
 
P

Psycho Homer

VIP
VIP
Retired
Messages
3,711
Reaction score
947
default said:
Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com
set the 9800gx2 to 805 core and 1125 memory and check the results. This is what i run mine at 24/7

the GTX is a better card, but not by quite a bit. In literally every test i have seen the GTX has a slightly higher minimum FPS, but a much less stable average FPS. and for the fact that it is twice the price of the GX2? So then it should be about the performance leap from the 8600GT to the 8800GT.

overall for the price right now, the GTX is really quite a rip off. there has been speculation that this is why nvidia is starting to cut off the 9800gx2 (that it offers almost the same performance for half the price) nvidia doesnt want to have to not only deal with ATI smashing them in the performance/price catagory as well as their own cards... :tongue:
Are you forgetting that you can overclock the card too? And the GTX 280 is not twice the price of a 9800GX2. You can get a GTX 280 for $390. A majority of the 9800GX2's are still the same price as a GTX 280. I'm not sure what benchmarks you were looking at but they were wrong.
 
D

default

Enthusiast
Messages
468
Reaction score
38
Psycho Homer said:
Are you forgetting that you can overclock the card too? And the GTX 280 is not twice the price of a 9800GX2. You can get a GTX 280 for $390. A majority of the 9800GX2's are still the same price as a GTX 280. I'm not sure what benchmarks you were looking at but they were wrong.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 260/280 Review : Introduction - Tom's Hardware

i believe tom's hardware, they are a pretty reputable source...

While the GTX280 did better, it was almost always only in the highest resolution (2560*1600) and as soon as they dropped it to the more standard 1920*1200 the card was both tied and beat numerous times by both the 9800gx2 and the 3870x2.

and please tell me where you see a gtx280 for 390...
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

that was the cheapest i could find.

I am aware that you can overclock too. I am not saying the 9800gx2 is better than the GTX280, the 280 is clearly the superior card. i am saying for the price gap, the gtx280 should be able to beat its predecessor in every basic test without fail. this hasn't been a problem for nvidia in the past... it would make sense if the 9800gx2 was maybe $50-$100 cheaper than the 280, but with the current price gap, thats like buying a 8800gt and having it perform almost as well as the 9800gx2... (the 9800gx2 costs about 60% of the price of a gtx280)
 
D

default

Enthusiast
Messages
468
Reaction score
38
Psycho Homer said:

thanks bookmarked for future price drops. the difference in pricing on TD makes much more sense with those deals for the GTX. although apparently PNY missed a memo and is still selling their GX2 for $600 :tongue:

that review is for it VS a 9800GTX not GX2, biiig difference....
 
P

Psycho Homer

VIP
VIP
Retired
Messages
3,711
Reaction score
947
If you actually read the review you would see that they compare it to multiple cards.
 
D

default

Enthusiast
Messages
468
Reaction score
38
Psycho Homer said:
If you actually read the review you would see that they compare it to multiple cards.

i did, and i noticed the results are almost completely identical to the ones from tom's hardware, and i figured you wouldn't post a review with the same results so you must have meant the huge paragraph on the page you linked to specifically comparing it to the 9800 GTX.

but fine. The results are the same as in the Tom's hardware review, just with both min and max fps results as well. and again, in the tests that the 280 came out on top, it was by a very slim margin, not the type of margin you would expect from a whole generation leap.
 
P

Psycho Homer

VIP
VIP
Retired
Messages
3,711
Reaction score
947
There was more than a slim margin there.
 
G

Godly Chaos

Enthusiast
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
38
its not the greatest card in the world.
 
D

default

Enthusiast
Messages
468
Reaction score
38
The only time the GTX280 beat the GX2 by more than 1fps was in UT3.

i would call that slim.
 
L

low strife

Enthusiast
Messages
204
Reaction score
12
The 280, on paper, is better. In my opinion, the only reason why the GX2 beats the 280 is because it's been out long enough for Nvidia to work on the drivers.

The 4870x2, which comes out very, very soon, is better than either of them.

However, considering you can get a GX2 for under $300, I would say it's performance is very, very good for the price their selling it for. The only reason why it's going for that low however, is because their just trying to get rid of old wherehouse stock.
 
D

default

Enthusiast
Messages
468
Reaction score
38
low strife said:
The 280, on paper, is better. In my opinion, the only reason why the GX2 beats the 280 is because it's been out long enough for Nvidia to work on the drivers.

The 4870x2, which comes out very, very soon, is better than either of them.

However, considering you can get a GX2 for under $300, I would say it's performance is very, very good for the price their selling it for. The only reason why it's going for that low however, is because their just trying to get rid of old wherehouse stock.

Agreed. I can't wait for the 4870x2 :biggrin:
 
T

theroach

Premium
Premium
Messages
392
Reaction score
40
Have the 280. I cream crysis on very high 64 bit dx10. No problems. That card will handle any game you throw at it. Well as of right now.
 
Top Bottom