What's new

Solved Is there a way to switch targets while aiming? (PS4)

• Thread starter Resonance
  • Start date
  • Views 37,742
Resonance

Resonance

The Sound Guy
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah. Basically I'd love to be able to change targets after having locked on rather than having to tap L2 to keep trying to get my aim locked onto the target I want to shoot.

Anyone know a way to do this?

TacticallyChaotic

TacticallyChaotic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I may be misunderstanding the question, but isnt it just a quick tap of L1 or R1, depending on which direction the intended "new" target is, in relation to the one youre presently locked on to? I feel like that applies for vehicle mounted weapons or handheld, but im not at my controller right now to be 100%. Sorry if i misread something in your post and this is not what youre referring to.

Upvote 0
Resonance

Resonance

The Sound Guy
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I may be misunderstanding the question, but isnt it just a quick tap of L1 or R1, depending on which direction the intended "new" target is, in relation to the one youre presently locked on to? I feel like that applies for vehicle mounted weapons or handheld, but im not at my controller right now to be 100%. Sorry if i misread something in your post and this is not what youre referring to.

Nah. Because if you're on foot, tapping L1 brings up the weapon wheel for like .05 seconds even while aiming and tapping R1 makes you dash for the nearest cover assuming you're on the same default controller settings as me.

Upvote 0
TacticallyChaotic

TacticallyChaotic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok. I run STD FPS, and i believe those functions dont differ btwn us, but either way, i may be thinking of different circumstances too. Are we talking NPC targets in missions etc.? Or other players? I truly dont know if there would be any difference other than what your targeting option is set to in your interaction menu, as far as strangers/friends/anyone, but i feel like i regularly do the L1 or R1 taps to switch my already locked on reticle left or right, when dealing with crowds of NPCs in heists or missions. As i dont remember the last time i engaged another online player, im not 100% that the same applies. Forgive me if im mis-remembering the muscle memory and those arent the correct sequence of controls, i will be checking when i make it back online for sure.

Upvote 0
Resonance

Resonance

The Sound Guy
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok. I run STD FPS, and i believe those functions dont differ btwn us, but either way, i may be thinking of different circumstances too. Are we talking NPC targets in missions etc.? Or other players? I truly dont know if there would be any difference other than what your targeting option is set to in your interaction menu, as far as strangers/friends/anyone, but i feel like i regularly do the L1 or R1 taps to switch my already locked on reticle left or right, when dealing with crowds of NPCs in heists or missions. As i dont remember the last time i engaged another online player, im not 100% that the same applies. Forgive me if im mis-remembering the muscle memory and those arent the correct sequence of controls, i will be checking when i make it back online for sure.

Interesting. Yeah it would be really helpful against a crowd of npcs as I usually never am in a situation in online against other players where I'd need to use this but this would improve the flow of gameplay immensely when dealing in a gang attack or something in a mission. I was literally tapping all the buttons on my controller but I couldn't get this to work but I'll give the L1 and R1 tap another try and update here with results!

Upvote 0
Cali

Cali

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Not sure if it's like this for all weapons but if I'm correct, I believe while you're locked on you just click the left or right arrow and it switches targets. It also might be L1 and R1 to go either direction. I don't remember for sure but I'll check since I'm on the game now.

Upvote 0
TacticallyChaotic

TacticallyChaotic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, thats exactly the scenario im envisioning, too. Gang attacks, even the NPC clusters in grinding missions, Cleaning the Cathouse comes to mind, when maneuvering around the hotel and the NPCs are popping in and out of doorways. This is also usually in a Buzzard with the automatic Homing picking them up, at which point i would do the L1 or R1 taps to switch from target to target.

I truly feel like i do the same thing on foot with rifles and such, the "Signal" setup on Pac Std being an example. Ill hit the island, drop the chopper, take cover behind the rock and target the first guy i lock onto. Now heres where im just going from muscle memory, lol, but i feel like i do the same taps to switch to guys on different areas of the island, always holding my L2 to retain the aiming down sights/targeting mode. I will sure mess with it when i get back to LS this eve. Sorry i couldnt be more help now though man.

Upvote 0
Resonance

Resonance

The Sound Guy
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, thats exactly the scenario im envisioning, too. Gang attacks, even the NPC clusters in grinding missions, Cleaning the Cathouse comes to mind, when maneuvering around the hotel and the NPCs are popping in and out of doorways. This is also usually in a Buzzard with the automatic Homing picking them up, at which point i would do the L1 or R1 taps to switch from target to target.

I truly feel like i do the same thing on foot with rifles and such, the "Signal" setup on Pac Std being an example. Ill hit the island, drop the chopper, take cover behind the rock and target the first guy i lock onto. Now heres where im just going from muscle memory, lol, but i feel like i do the same taps to switch to guys on different areas of the island, always holding my L2 to retain the aiming down sights/targeting mode. I will sure mess with it when i get back to LS this eve. Sorry i couldnt be more help now though man.

It's all good bro. Thanks for the input. I'm just loading up the game now myself and will have a muck around and see what I come up with!

Upvote 0
Cali

Cali

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, it is L1 and R1 but it doesn't seem to work on NPC / Players. It only works for the homing missile when locking on to vehicles. While locked onto vehicles you click L1 and R1 and it switches vehicles. I'm not sure if there is a way for pedestrians / online players.

Upvote 0
Resonance

Resonance

The Sound Guy
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, it is L1 and R1 but it doesn't seem to work on NPC / Players. It only works for the homing missile when locking on to vehicles. While locked onto vehicles you click L1 and R1 and it switches vehicles. I'm not sure if there is a way for pedestrians / online players.

I can confirm this (just tested it now). Seems like the only switching we can do is with the Lock On rocket with L1 and R1. Well that's a shame because I was so sure we had the ability to swap/switch between targets. Maybe I got it confused with a GTA function from another game in the series. Hmmm.

Upvote 0
ausernamez

ausernamez

Hooked on phonics worked for me.
Reaction score
Sin$
I can confirm this (just tested it now). Seems like the only switching we can do is with the Lock On rocket with L1 and R1. Well that's a shame because I was so sure we had the ability to swap/switch between targets. Maybe I got it confused with a GTA function from another game in the series. Hmmm.
In the prologue it tells you to flick the left thumbstick to change targets. Not pressing it down to click, but a flick. Lol

Upvote 0
genelec

genelec

Reaction score
Sin$
You must've seen Thotso420 doing it :tongue: I've scolded all my friends since 1.01 about this, you need to have your aim settings on assisted aim - full to begin with, then when you lock on you flick the RIGHT stick left and right while cooking off your barrel non-stop rapid fire style! Works great on missions where everyone's bunched up like gassed up or deal breaker, you just roll up and hop out of your vehicle, run up a little closer until someone gives you lip, and drop them all in one brutal volley of bullets, especially with the new drum magazines! Keep switching back and forth between targets, you don't want to kill each of them instantly, but rather you want to stun everyone and keep coming back to them before they can get up and aim at you again. Everyone will think you're a modder and you'll get double the kills of everyone else combined lol I hope this helps..
EDIT: you'll also notice after dropping a couple targets that you start getting non stop headshots until you let off the trigger or run out of goons to kill :smile:

Upvote 0
NickGTR46

NickGTR46

Deadpool's B*tch
Reaction score
Sin$
Go into story mode and change your aiming option and it will change in Online as well!

Upvote 0
Vice City

Vice City

Grand Theft Auto
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah. Basically I'd love to be able to change targets after having locked on rather than having to tap L2 to keep trying to get my aim locked onto the target I want to shoot.

Anyone know a way to do this?
Load GTA V and go straight into the Story Mode, once there hit Options (Start) then Settings and on the Control settings, change your targeting mode from Assisted Aim Partial to Assisted Aim Full. This is what all the players who RnG use in order to switch between targets faster. When you have changed the settings to Assisted Aim Full, use the right analogue stick and flick left & right to switch between targets when aimed in on someone. This works for both online players & AI. Remember to save your story mode before entering online to keep your settings this way.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom
Login
Register