What's new

Question Is there a way to share files? (Please help :/ )

• Thread starter Krewella
  • Start date
  • Views 490
Krewella

Krewella

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
My friend owns an MC server and I was wondering if we can share the server files as if I owned them. Whatever I put in, it works? Just wondering, please help!

lowpro

lowpro

Professional Abecedarian
Programmer Mythical Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
My friend owns an MC server and I was wondering if we can share the server files as if I owned them. Whatever I put in, it works? Just wondering, please help!
Can you explain a bit more? If you just want to move a server to your computer, you could easily do that. They only thing you'd have to do is portforward.

Upvote 0
Krewella

Krewella

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Can you explain a bit more? If you just want to move a server to your computer, you could easily do that. They only thing you'd have to do is portforward.
Ok, so my friend owns a server, and he needs a little help with some of the plugins that have to do with the server files. and I want to make it where say I change somthing, it affects the server, so its as if we can both change the plugins a little.

Upvote 0
lowpro

lowpro

Professional Abecedarian
Programmer Mythical Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok, so my friend owns a server, and he needs a little help with some of the plugins that have to do with the server files. and I want to make it where say I change somthing, it affects the server, so its as if we can both change the plugins a little.
I know what you mean, but unless you are using some type of screen sharing program (like teamviewer), I don't think there is anyway to do it "real time". If I am not mistaken, you have to restart the server everytime you change configuration? So what you could do is your friend copies the whole server and gives to to you via USB or teamviewer. You change the server properties or whatever, you could test them by running the server on your computer, and if it is configured how you want, you could send them back to him, then he just copies the whole thing back to where his server was (or if he wants to keep the save updated, copy everything except the savegame). I hope this helped some.
So to sum it all up, there is no way to edit a server in real time.

Upvote 0
Krewella

Krewella

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I know what you mean, but unless you are using some type of screen sharing program (like teamviewer), I don't think there is anyway to do it "real time". If I am not mistaken, you have to restart the server everytime you change configuration? So what you could do is your friend copies the whole server and gives to to you via USB or teamviewer. You change the server properties or whatever, you could test them by running the server on your computer, and if it is configured how you want, you could send them back to him, then he just copies the whole thing back to where his server was (or if he wants to keep the save updated, copy everything except the savegame). I hope this helped some.
So to sum it all up, there is no way to edit a server in real time.

Ok thank you

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 488835

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

Use a FTP server. If your using paid hosting, they should have the credentials for it.

Upvote 0
LmfaoBen

LmfaoBen

Minecraft Guru / Cat Daddy
Reporter Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
Regardless of your hosting environment, you can use FTP. Your friend will have the appropriate credentials available if he's using paid hosting, but will need to set up something like FileZilla server if he's hosting on his own machine.

Upvote 0
TheDamned

TheDamned

Dr. Krieger
Reaction score
Sin$
Like they said FileZilla is best. Most files such as configs will work after just dragging and dropping into the appropriate places. I have two servers (one being brand new) and to avoid having to rewrite lengthy configs several times I usually just do it once and put it into both servers. Also this bit goes without saying but always keep backups. If you edit, I suggest you keep an archive including the last working config (or other filetype) that worked in a decent way as well as a copy that you want to edit so if you botch it, you have the old one to go back to. This system has saved me HOURS

Upvote 0
Top Bottom
Login
Register