What's new

Solved Is there a new method to setuup new hdd?

• Thread starter vicicarus
  • Start date
  • Views 2,198
V

vicicarus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you in advance for any and all help provided,

I recently came across some original Xbox systems while cleaning and my Xbox interest came back so I want to tinker with them a bit. Question is on a soft modded system is there a more recent method that I can do to build the HDD from scratch(clean install)? I know chimp will clone the drive(think it was a hot swap method) and not sure if lunching Linux method worked the same way.

C

Cynder

Local Weird Guy
Premium
Reaction score
I believe you can use Xbox Hard Drive Maker to create a fresh drive (You need eeprom for this). But cloning with chimp or hexen seem to be the easier and better ways to do it.

V

vicicarus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the response,

I looked up Xbox Hard Drive Maker "XBOX" and this is what I meant on building an HDD from "scratch" the program its self says
"Build a new XBOX HD from scratch"

But doesn't look like a new method thou, videos are old looking blurry. I also came across a different TUT that says "THIS TUTORIAL WAS CREATE FOR THE PURPOSE OF A SOFT MODDED XBOX. If your xbox is already modded just format it with SLAYERS or HEXEN"

The TUT for HeXen says I will need a mod chip or TSOP to be able to boot the disc first or I'll get an "error 16". When those systems boot it has the Evo X logo in the upper left hand side of the screen. The softmod I have doesn't display a logo other than the xbox & M$ logos. Would I have to re-install the dash board to access the bios disc? I'm guessing the Slayer disc will act the same?

C

Cynder

Local Weird Guy
Premium
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the response,

I looked up Xbox Hard Drive Maker "XBOX" and this is what I meant on building an HDD from "scratch" the program its self says
"Build a new XBOX HD from scratch"

But doesn't look like a new method thou, videos are old looking blurry. I also came across a different TUT that says "THIS TUTORIAL WAS CREATE FOR THE PURPOSE OF A SOFT MODDED XBOX. If your xbox is already modded just format it with SLAYERS or HEXEN"

The TUT for HeXen says I will need a mod chip or TSOP to be able to boot the disc first or I'll get an "error 16". When those systems boot it has the Evo X logo in the upper left hand side of the screen. The softmod I have doesn't display a logo other than the xbox & M$ logos. Would I have to re-install the dash board to access the bios disc? I'm guessing the Slayer disc will act the same?
I haven't seen anything newer than Xbox HDM unfortunately.

G

GAMER 4 L1F3

Getting There
Reaction score
Yeah there's chimp. It's way easier but requires a $3 part.
Get a MOLEX Y splitter.
Softmod your xbox, burn Hexan's disk and install Chimp to the drive.
Set the jumper on your hard drive to slave.
Remove the top cover of your xbox.
Use the MOLEX splitter to split the power cord that normally powers the HDD, to power both the old and new HDD and set your new HDD on top of the disk drive.
Boot your xbox to the modded dashboard.
gently remove the IDE cable from your disk drive and connect your new HDD.
Launch Chimp, clone your old drive to the new one, and then lock the new drive.
Power off.
Switch the jumper back to Master on your new hdd, and replace your old HDD with the new one.
You're done.

K

KaosEngineeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The latest version of Chimp 261812 is available from Rocky5's github.com repository. Five (5) files to upload to the [Click here to view this link].

Rocky5 has 3 videos posted on youtube.com on how to use it. The earliest is a bit outdated and has a slightly different look-and-feel than the latest 1.01 Loader release. A

There have been 3 different releases of Chimp all with the same version number 261812. Make sure you use the latest downloaded from the link provided earlier in this post.

Top Bottom