What's new

Discussion Is RDR2 Still Worth The Money?

Madman

I'm just living life, as if I live twice.
Premium
Reaction score
I'm getting a 2k 144hz monitor from NewEgg relatively soon and was wondering if this game is worth picking up and how is it graphic wise? I want something visually stunning and a game that I can play for a long time.

FiremanJohnson

Minnesota sports franchises are cursed
Reaction score
I can't tell you graphics wise as I am on console. Although, Red Dead Online feels bland and lifeless. The grind is tedious and the animals spawns are just awful. The multiplayer just feels too lifeless to enjoy. I encourage waiting for a sale.

Navy Davey

☠️Super Moderator☠️
Super Moderators
Reaction score
I'm getting a 2k 144hz monitor from NewEgg relatively soon and was wondering if this game is worth picking up and how is it graphic wise? I want something visually stunning and a game that I can play for a long time.
Although I agree somewhat with F FiremanJohnson I have to say Red Dead is absolutely visually stunning and is a great game for that aspect. I have yet to buy it on PC but do own it on Xbox and PS4.
Online is a bit stale in my opinion but then again I haven’t gone back to it since they started introducing DLCs... it’s been awhile.
That being said if it wasn’t for my love of GTA it would be my favorite game and is well worth it. In addition like GTA you can get a mod menu for it on PC which makes it that much more fun. I think the pros outweigh the cons in general but it would be prudent to wait for a sale.

IwantKix

Reaction score
That's a cool game, but it doesn't worth its full price and you can save $20-$30 buying it online. Just find a Steam key website on Google and buy it there. Make sure to check if the website is safe on reddit and other review platforms.

The Sauce

Scraping By....
Reaction score
I have it on XBox One X, on a 4K TV, and it is a beautiful game. The landscape and scenery, building, water, looks great. Story mode gave me a good 4-5 weeks of gameplay, several hours a day, lots to explore, many animals to hunt, awards and plenty of story and side missions.

Now the ugly. As everyone else in here has said, Online is stale(ESPECIALLY if you play all the way through story before going online, much of the same ****). Actually, that's a lie. It was stale 6 months ago. Now it's ****ing rotten. It is still riddled with bugs, inifinite loading screens, spawn issues, freezing, etc. I could write a book on all of the glitches this game still has, many of them have been around for a year or so(where the f*** is my camp, Crips?). On Xbox, getting in the same lobby with friends is a pain in the ***. Then getting in the same posse is another pain in the ***.

I would say story alone is worth it if you can find it for $30-40. If you are a glutton for punishment and dive into Online, I would recommend starting a daily challenge streak on day 1, easily the best way to stack gold, and get a collectors bag, shovel, and metal detector as soon as you have the rank/cash(warning, they're expensive as f***). You will need to buy new weapons to efficiently hunt, kill enemies and other players, and do daily challenges. They are pricey, but sometimes go on sale. It is a grind, and there is a serious lack of good glitches(IMO). I made it to lvl 339 and I am absolutely sick of the game. The pay wall updates are interesting for maybe a week or two max, and the glitches and bugs you have to deal with to rank up each role can be infuriating(cause you to lose product/progress/money in game). Oh yeah, if you are into PvP invest in ability cards early, whichever ones suit your playing style.

/rant

Sdog3

Reaction score
I have only been playing online for like a week and I love it but its really hard to look past all the bugs, glitches, server issues and many many more.
I just feel like (and Im sure other people will agree) they put so much more attention into gta online, red dead online could be great if rockstar put more work into it

The Sauce

Scraping By....
Reaction score
I have only been playing online for like a week and I love it but its really hard to look past all the bugs, glitches, server issues and many many more.
I just feel like (and Im sure other people will agree) they put so much more attention into gta online, red dead online could be great if rockstar put more work into it

That's the issue right there, Rockstar has patched dupe glitches and exploits, yet has let bugs that ruin the game remain. Maybe Gold Bar sales aren't living up to expectations? Too busy caring for their favorite child, GTA? Rockstar left this game in the car on a hot day, and didn't even have the decency to roll a window down.

rubythomas

Reaction score
RDR2 is one of those games you HAVE to buy, and not digital, but physical copy.

Jeffreyz

Reaction score
As with any other game, it depends on your preferences. I've heard people criticize the game for being too realistic or for example running slowly. However, if you want a realistic, open world as a playground, this is surely one of the best games on the market. For me personally, it's the best game I've ever played. It's much better than the first one, it's definitely worth the praise. I thought I really loved John Marsden as a character but Arthur Morgan is just the best character. It is such a good story yet its heartbreaking at the same time.

The game moves pretty skillfully between simulator and open world crime game. Your character and horse must eat and rest regularly. Unlike in GTA, there must be at least one crime witness for you to be sought by the law. This can even be done retrospectively (a driver on the lane discovers the body of a person you killed at certain moments before, for example.) Guns, carriages / stagecoaches, clothing and everything else is timely. You need to connect to your horse so that it fully trusts you, and when it dies it will be gone forever.

Wild animals interact in a credible way. Venomous snakes bite when you get too close, but usually run away from your much heavier horse. Wolves, foxes and coyotes hunt prey and can even be seen playing with other species. Bull elks, bull elk, bucks and native bulls charge you fees when you are in their territory. Horses that don't know you kick when you get behind them. Grizzly bears and cougars make you a quick meal if you are not quick enough. You will find deer in the forest, alligators in the swamp and everything else you would expect. Speaking of which, places in the game range from small cattle towns and farming communities to more modern (for that time) cities, from snow-capped mountains to wet swamps and open plains to destroyed battlefields of the civil war.

Stimpy987

Reaction score
It is a really cool game to play and you can find it on sales now.

Ellsworth90

Reaction score
It depends what you’re looking for.
I don’t like to beat games… I like to thoroughly enjoy them. This has negatively impacted my enjoyment of Red Dead Redemption 2.
If you want an experience, a good story, a world that feels alive, RDR2 is for you. Blitz the story, delight in Rockstar’s writing and world-building.
For me, however, a big issue creeps up the more you play it: It’s not a very well-designed or fun game.

Top Bottom