• Views 411
Status
Not open for further replies.
Killercacciatore

Killercacciatore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So, let's say that I have a 1gb integrated graphics card using my DDR3 ram.
If I get an old GPU with 1gb of GDDR3 will it be faster?

Connor

Connor

Hi :3
Retired
Grammar Nazi Stickied FotM
Reaction score
Sin$
So, let's say that I have a 1gb integrated graphics card using my DDR3 ram.
If I get an old GPU with 1gb of GDDR3 will it be faster?
Computer RAM and Video Card RAM are completely different. If you went from integrated graphics to a GPU that would make a huge difference no matter what. The RAM from the GPU would be used for the GPU not with just regular computer processes.

If you're saying the 1GB of RAM is used for integrated graphics, (I'm not sure as I am not that keen on integrated graphics) then yes that would also make a difference as that 1 GB of RAM can now be used for other things.

All in all, if you're thinking about getting a GPU, yes get a GPU.

The only time I would think otherwise and ask what GPU are you getting is if you had one of those hybrid GPU/CPU things. Which I'm assuming not.

Killercacciatore

Killercacciatore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Computer RAM and Video Card RAM are completely different. If you went from integrated graphics to a GPU that would make a huge difference no matter what. The RAM from the GPU would be used for the GPU not with just regular computer processes.

If you're saying the 1GB of RAM is used for integrated graphics, (I'm not sure as I am not that keen on integrated graphics) then yes that would also make a difference as that 1 GB of RAM can now be used for other things.

All in all, if you're thinking about getting a GPU, yes get a GPU.

The only time I would think otherwise and ask what GPU are you getting is if you had one of those hybrid GPU/CPU things. Which I'm assuming not.
So I've got an HD 8570D APU with 800Mhz and 2Gb of dedicated DDR3 ram (i have 12gb so it doesn't hurt my system) let's say that I get like a 2gb GDDR3 GPU, would that be better?

Connor

Connor

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
So I've got an HD 8570D APU with 800Mhz and 2Gb of dedicated DDR3 ram (i have 12gb so it doesn't hurt my system) let's say that I get like a 2gb GDDR3 GPU, would that be better?
Well now that's what I was thinking the APU's could potentially be better.

I need more details on the GPU, RAM is not the only thing that matters when it comes to the performance. Depending on the type of GPU the APU could be better or the other way around.

Basically you could have different GPU's with the same VRAM and one could be better than the other.

Killercacciatore

Killercacciatore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well now that's what I was thinking the APU's could potentially be better.

I need more details on the GPU, RAM is not the only thing that matters when it comes to the performance. Depending on the type of GPU the APU could be better or the other way around.

Basically, you could have different GPU's with the same VRAM and one could be better than the other.
I actually didn't have one in mind, I was looking at a few on eBay but the insertions probably ended, I was just wondering if, with something, for like 40/50 euros I could get some extra performance, but mine was pure curiosity since I'm gonna get a 1050ti when school ends.

Connor

Connor

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I actually didn't have one in mind, I was looking at a few on eBay but the insertions probably ended, I was just wondering if, with something, for like 40/50 euros I could get some extra performance, but mine was pure curiosity since I'm gonna get a 1050ti when school ends.
Hell, I'd just wait and save your $. The APU will do for now if you're only going to be using it for another month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register