Not open for further replies.
Gung Ho Guns

Gung Ho Guns

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
This was taken From IpodLinux.org to help us get out the word on getting linux on peoples ipod and further the movement if Ranix or any other members of ipodlinux.org has a problem with me posting this i will remove it.

Conorkirk1 has grasiously taken the time to make a wikipage for this, as I have been busy. You can find it here

---------------------------

Q: How do I install iPodLinux on my iPod?
A: Go down ALL the way past the FAQ and read the next post.

Q: Where is the root? I DONT SEE A FOLDER!
A: Calm down, the root is the overall iPod, like if your iPod is in the G:\ directory, then G:\ is the root. In other words, its when you open the iPod, but don't go into any folders.

Q: It says the iPod is in use by another program
A: Kill iPodService.exe

Q: When I load up my iPod, I see a folder with a excamation (!) point. It also says http://www.apple.com/ipod/support.
A: Restore the iPod with the iPod Updater

Q: Is there a way to switch from podzilla to floydzilla (or vice-versa)?
A: Put floydzilla in any folder of your iPod and use the file browser to start it up (or vice-versa). OR http://ipodlinux.org/Changing_graphical_enviornment

Q: Im trying to install the ipodlinux-installer But when i open it the program says "No Ipod Found!".
A: Use the HP disk formater tool to format it. Be sure to select FAT32. Then use the iPod Updater to restore. Now try agian.

Q: Are Ipod Linux and Podzilla the same thing?
A: iPodLinux is the OS and podzilla is the menu/graphical enviornment.

Q: My computer wants me to format my iPod, will I lose my music?
A: Yes, make sure you back up your music first becfore you try anything.

Q: When I try to load up Linux, it comes up with this: /hp/start: No such file command: podzilla.
A: Add the start and podzilla files that came with the installer to the root of your iPod. Now, reboot the iPod, and try agian.

Q: I get an error that comes up when I try to restore my iPod, it says "iPodService Module has encountered a problem and needs to close." Fix?
A: I had the same problem, what I did was uninstalling it, then downloading it agian from apple.com, and it worked that time.

Q: How do I convert video to iPod format (any kind)
A: Check out MoPiD right here

Q: Did I brick my iPod?
A: NO! So far I haven't seen 1 iPod bricked! You just think it is! It CAN be fixed.

Q: Where can I get the latest podzilla build?
A: You can find a copy of a nightly podzilla update at http://ipodlinux.org/builds/

Q: Where can I get iDoom, iHalfLife, and all the other m3n games?
A: Check it out at http://ipodlinux.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4984 Note:Use the wads you get there and use iDoom with them.

Q: How come my music plays back slowly? Too fast?
A: Because music playing is still in the beta stages. You could try mpd but i dont recommend it

Q: Every time I boot into apple's frimwere, the nano will ask me to select a language. Why?
A: Hold down play to put it into sleep mode. Then wake it back up again. It should save.

Q: I heard you can get music from your iPod to your computer. Is this true?
A: Yes, you can... First, go to your iPod root and go to tools -> folder options -> *tab* view -> then click on the space that says "show hidden files and folders". Then, go into the folder that says iPod_Control. Now, in your Music folder, there should be folders that look like "F00, F01" etc. Click on any to get some of your music. The acuall music file will be renamed something with random letters. This is because Apple has changed it because they only want the music to be playable in iTunes. It has to do with Digital Rights Management. All you have to do is drag the music to your comp. and rename it.

A2: (untested!, need a tester... PM me) First, install iTunes, and click consolidate library. All your music will be in C:/Documents and settings/*MYNAME*/My music/Itunes/Itunes Music

Q: I have tried everything and i still can't get linux on my nano/other iPod!
A: Then use linux! get dsl at http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/damnsmall/current/ and download current.iso, burn it to a cd with your favorite iso burning program, and boot your computer with it. and follow instruction for installing ipodlinux on linux. Why? because it's alot easier!

Gung Ho Guns

Gung Ho Guns

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
MarkkraM 1

NotMarkk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
nice gung, ill show my bro. this.. ure an admin :cool::smile:

P

pendantsquid

Reaction score
Sin$
oy why is there nothing fun for the video yet. Minus what it already is. All ive done with mine is make the lego logo come up when i turn on my pod instead of the apple. It looks pretty sweet

M

Moddingbandit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
any updates on the Video ipod yet? I want something fun for mine. Thanks

T

thechosenone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Moddingbandit said:
any updates on the Video ipod yet? I want something fun for mine. Thanks
ya i want updates too

Krafty

Krafty

It was me the whole time!
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
thechosenone said:
ya i want updates too

There is one for the video, but its not supported..meaning they dont know if it might damage it.

Also, most of the programs didnt work for the video iPods, I had it and i didnt like it so luckly it uninstalled without any problems

xl All Pro lx

xl All Pro lx

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
i need some updates for the video ipod to

mexkan

mexkan

Shoot the J!
Premium
Hardened Veteran Fabled Veteran Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
sorry to bring yup old topics. but i can get out of lunix and it wont let me go into disk mode or even let me turn itoff. any help?

xXMockeyXx

xXMockeyXx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi, I am new to iPod modding and I currently have only a 3rd generation nano, the one that plays videos.

Could anyone please help me hack/skin my iPod? Thanks, my AIM is flippyhairedkid

W

War Kid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I absolutely hate to bring up old threads, but what good does it to install Linux on your ipod?

W

whiplash34

Reaction score
Sin$
very helpfull thanks a bunch

so does the 3rd gen nano work or not?

B

Broseidon

Reaction score
Sin$
ehh if anyone needs help pm me
Ive had iPL on my nano for quite some time now and it can watch videos and play emulators and what not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register