Inverting LED's

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Hardware Customizations' started by landr0id, Jul 15, 2009 with 10 replies and 1,182 views.

1. landr0id

landr0id Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind pointing me in the direction on how to invert the LED's on the 360 so that instead of the lights being green like they usually are, they're red, and when you get the RRoD or something, it's 'the GRoD.

2. xbh1h2

xbh1h2 Getting There

Ratings:
    I believe that would be on the level of firmware hacking the light board in the front. I'm not entirely sure if that's possible, but if it is i'm doing it.

3. IxLuN4R MoDsxI

IxLuN4R MoDsxI Newbie

Ratings:
    Sounds Nice i will definately wanna try if it is. anyway if u had blue ring of light and get rrod will it go purple? cos i might do my ring of light purple lol will look nice maybe the controllers ring of light purple aswell or blue and white

4. buickgnx

buickgnx Enthusiast

Ratings:
    all you would have to do i thnk is desolder the leds carefully and flip them. might want to order some more from the bay.

5. IxLuN4R MoDsxI

IxLuN4R MoDsxI Newbie

Ratings:
    good idea but it wouldn't work because you cant just flip the leds over as the have positive and negative terminals therefore you would have to swap all of the curcuit bored round and that certainly would be very hard if not almost imposible to do rendering this more trouble than it is worth. you would have to reverse the polarities this is like 2 magnets n+s work but swap them round and that dont like it.

6. buickgnx

buickgnx Enthusiast

Ratings:
    it would work because the middle isground and theres 2 positave

7. nielsss

nielsss Enthusiast

Ratings:
    It is possible without swapping LEDs,

Source: Tutorial: RF (RoL) Board Leds - Scenyx Entertainment Community
    Credit: RDC from xbox-scene

TUT;
    Before I begin I'd like to say 99% of the credit for this goes to G0t M4xx 21 who figured it out first, both with trace cutting, as well as the no trace cutting method where Resistors are removed and is the basis for this tutorial, I have to take 1% though for doing these pics and pointing out some alternate soldering points to hopefully make it a little easier for some.

NOTE: You do NOT need to remove the connector for any part of this mod, it's been removed so I could get a good scan of the board and is shows off what traces go where for anyone doing repair work.

OK, here we go. You'll need some small wire for this 30awg or so, and a fairly steady hand for the (de)soldeing you'll have to do. This will only swap the "Ring of Light" colors from Green to Red and Red to Green, if you want the center LED changed to Red you have to replace that one with a Red one.

First off you need to remove 4 Surface Mount Resistors, R3, R4, R21 and R22. These things are small and if ya can't find them or see them to remove them then get some magnifying glass to help out or stop now before ya make a mess.

[​IMG]
    After you have those removed, and they must be for this to work properly, you need to "connect the colors" to get the LED colors swapped. Just connect Violet to Violet, Blue to Blue and so on. The colors of the spots have jack to do with the LED colors, they're just those colors to show you what you need to connect to where.
    [​IMG]
    This is what it should look like after it's all wired up.
    [​IMG]
    Alternate Spots

These are alternate spots to do the "connect the colors" part, you MUST still remove the Resistors for this to work. Some of ya may have better luck with these spots since they're not all side by side like in the previous picture, that's something that can even get a person that's good at soldering in a mess sometimes. These points, while just as small, are more in the open and may be a little easier for ya to hit.

Connect the spot at...

T9 to TP8 (Violet)
    T8 to TP11 (Blue)
    T7 to TP6 (Green)
    TP2 to TP7 (Red)
    [​IMG]
    Make sure ya keep your wire runs away from the screw hole there at the bottom and the grounding spot in the middle, ya don't want any to get pinched when reinstalling the board onto the 360.

Here are a couple of "clean" shots of the RF-RoL board Top and Bottom for anyone that may need them for whatever.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. IxLuN4R MoDsxI

IxLuN4R MoDsxI Newbie

Ratings:
    ok sorry i didnt know that i gathered there was a negative and a positive but thanks for clearing that up

9. OP
    landr0id

landr0id Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Yeah, I saw that post on XS, and was going to attempt it, but for some reason the torx wouldn't fit in all of the screws - it only fit in one on the circuit board, so I just said screw it

10. Distorted Hope

Distorted Hope Enthusiast

Ratings:
    hehe, you made a pun.

11. IxLuN4R MoDsxI

IxLuN4R MoDsxI Newbie

Ratings:
    hehe just got what u meant distorted :biggrin: should of put a
    No Pun Intended on the bottom lol very funny after i re-read it a few times