Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
I've had this build for a little over a year now, and at some point during that year, I developed a rather interesting... "issue". You can see my build here if you're interested, but the hardware is outlined below.

Some software information:
  • Windows 10 Pro Build 17217 (1803) - it occurred for me on 1709 as well.
  • NVIDIA GeForce 3.13 and v391.24 for my GTX 1070.
  • I use MSI Afterburner and RTSS to monitor my temps (doubt it's related to the issue, but I am aware that RTSS causes a lot of weird 3D related issues).
The issue only occurs when entering fullscreen mode when playing a game (doesn't matter what game, once it's fullscreen; doesn't occur with borderless or windowed). What happens is that my screen will go black, as if it's off, which it normally did to signify it entered fullscreen, then the screen comes back on, however, there is no display - my monitor is backlight as if it's receiving input, but nothing displays on my screen. The software that's open runs normally, audio continues to play normally as well. If I turn my monitor on and off via the power button, upon turning back on, everything returns to normal and I can see the game awaiting my input.

The issue has persisted through clean installs of Windows, so I doubt that will fix anything. I've also tried various re-installs of the NVIDIA GeForce application, as well as the drivers (both clean installs and regular upgrades), testing with and without Afterburner and RTSS, and testing straight out of the box after installing Windows 10. I have come to the conclusion that something must be faulty with my hardware, or some weird software combination is causing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Hardware is as follows:
Code:
Intel i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
WD Blue 1TB 6GB/s 7200 RPM HDD
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
2x Corsair AF120 Blue LED Fans
2x Corsair AF140 Blue LED Fans
Dell U2414H 24.0" 1920x1080 Monitor
Intel 7265 IEEE 802.11ac WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 M.2 2230/1216 (Used with: M.2(NGFF) Wireless Card to PCI-e 1X Adapter, however, I am hardwired now)
Masterkeys Pro L RGB Keyboard
Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse
NZXT GRID+V2, 12V Digital Fan Controller
NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$

Need more info.

Did you try uninstalling MSI AB and RTSS?

Is your resolution improperly set?

What resolution are your games trying to go on is the monitor incapable of running the resolutions?

Are you using the GPU's display ports instead of the mobo's ports? Does the issue happen on both?

Have you tried a different cable and maybe yours has some issues on it?

Do you have dual monitors? Nvidia has this issue on 900-1000 series where it will lock the FPS of both monitors to the slower rate and some monitors will be incapable of handling slower hz. So multiple different refresh rate monitors are incompatible with newer Nvidia hardware.

I knew a person from another forum with the same issue on his 1060 and he solved it by unplugging his second monitor

When I google the issue others had the issue and solved it by using drivers before 388.00 You could try downgrading the driver.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Did you try uninstalling MSI AB and RTSS?
Yes, I tried with and without Afterburner and RTSS.
Is your resolution improperly set?
AFAIK it's not. My monitor supports 1080p60fps. Windows is set to 1920x1080 and all of my games are set to 1920x1080@60fps.
Are you using the GPU's display ports instead of the mobo's ports? Does the issue happen on both?
I'm using my GPU's HMDI port. I've never used the HDMI port on my motherboard as the GPU has been in since the first boot. If push comes to shove, I can remove my GPU and test it with the default HDMI port.
Have you tried a different cable and maybe yours has some issues on it?
I haven't actually tried another HDMI cable. I will try another cable and report back.
Do you have dual monitors? Nvidia has this issue on 900-1000 series where it will lock the FPS of both monitors to the slower rate and some monitors will be incapable of handling slower hz. So multiple different refresh rate monitors are incompatible with newer Nvidia hardware.
I do not have dual monitors.
When I google the issue others had the issue and solved it by using drivers before 388.00 You could try downgrading the driver.
I've had this before and on 388.00, but I will keep it in mind for a test run later.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, I tried with and without Afterburner and RTSS.

AFAIK it's not. My monitor supports 1080p60fps. Windows is set to 1920x1080 and all of my games are set to 1920x1080@60fps.

I'm using my GPU's HMDI port. I've never used the HDMI port on my motherboard as the GPU has been in since the first boot. If push comes to shove, I can remove my GPU and test it with the default HDMI port.

I haven't actually tried another HDMI cable. I will try another cable and report back.

I do not have dual monitors.

I've had this before and on 388.00, but I will keep it in mind for a test run later.

If your game has 59.94 a normal 60hz monitor is actually set to 59.94 but some users override settings thinking I NEED 60.

Before 388.00 meaning that version had the issue.

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

cyan:wave2:Buying burnt food!
Retired
Lifetime
AzzidReign Jr End of the Year 2012 Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
My GTX 980 does this, but only if i tab out of certain games. When i tab back in, it'll just be black. Possible Nvidia/GeForce issue?

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
If your game has 59.94 a normal 60hz monitor is actually set to 59.94 but some users override settings thinking I NEED 60.
Yep, I know about this. I wasn't implying I was forcing my settings to exactly 60, just selecting the option in the game that represented 60 (such as selecting between 30/60/v-sync/unlocked).
Before 388.00 meaning that version had the issue.
I tried on the version before 388.00, on 388.00, and back on 391.24, nothing changed.
My GTX 980 does this, but only if i tab out of certain games. When i tab back in, it'll just be black. Possible Nvidia/GeForce issue?
Yep. Also happens to me when I tab out of games, I forgot to mention that. Although, the issues don't seem to be dependent on one another - the initial black screen on boot doesn't always mean I'll get it when I tab out, nor does tabbing out cause the issue to occur every time I tab out. Is there anything similar in our setups aside from us both using a NVIDIA card?
Have you guys tried disabling DSR?
I'm not sure what DSR is, can you elaborate?

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I tried with another HDMI cable, as well as reseating my current HDMI cable. Issue seems to still be there. I will try it with another monitor this weekend, as that will require me to move my PC.

Last edited:
OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

Retired
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
Yep. Also happens to me when I tab out of games, I forgot to mention that. Although, the issues don't seem to be dependent on one another - the initial black screen on boot doesn't always mean I'll get it when I tab out, nor does tabbing out cause the issue to occur every time I tab out. Is there anything similar in our setups aside from us both using a NVIDIA card?
Uhh, actually I have an MSI B150M motherboard. (I'm pretty sure.) I have a Corsair 850w PSU, but I don't think that would matter. Everything else is pretty different. I also have MSI Afterburner, but again, don't think that would do it

Last edited by a moderator:
Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Uhh, actually I have an MSI B150M motherboard. (I'm pretty sure.) I have a Corsair 850w PSU, but I don't think that would matter. Everything else is pretty different. I also have MSI Afterburner, but again, don't think that would do it
Hmmm, I wonder if it has something to do with out motherboards :thinking:

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

Retired
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
Hmmm, I wonder if it has something to do with out motherboards :thinking:
Support says they have no reports for the motherboard. ...But she also said she thinks it might not be getting enough power. Out of my 850w power supply. hahahaha

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Support says they have no reports for the motherboard. ...But she also said she thinks it might not be getting enough power. Out of my 850w power supply. hahahaha
Yeah, I doubt it's a power issue. I feel like Windows would be able to notify us if hardware wasn't receiving proper power.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Yep, I know about this. I wasn't implying I was forcing my settings to exactly 60, just selecting the option in the game that represented 60 (such as selecting between 30/60/v-sync/unlocked).

I tried on the version before 388.00, on 388.00, and back on 391.24, nothing changed.

I'm not sure what DSR is, can you elaborate?

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I tried with another HDMI cable, as well as reseating my current HDMI cable. Issue seems to still be there. I will try it with another monitor this weekend, as that will require me to move my PC.

Dynamic Super Resolution, its essentially super-sampling but done dirty and often leads to issues.

Set to Native Resolution
aid_3587_1.jpg

If you are saying it remained after reinstalling windows I would say this is most likely not the answer I would say 5 most likely scenario's in order

1) HDMI Cord issue
2) Power Cord to monitor issue
3) Software issue
4) Monitor issue
5) GPU issue

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Dynamic Super Resolution, its essentially super-sampling but done dirty and often leads to issues.

Set to Native Resolution
aid_3587_1.jpg

If you are saying it remained after reinstalling windows I would say this is most likely not the answer I would say 5 most likely scenario's in order

1) HDMI Cord issue
2) Power Cord to monitor issue
3) Software issue
4) Monitor issue
5) GPU issue
DSR was not enabled when I went into the NVIDIA control panel, so I'm just going to leave it off. I will try swapping out cables and on another monitor tonight.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I gave up on trying to fix this. I re-installed Windows, tried new cables, ports, etc. Just gonna deal with it. Must be something somewhere on some setting that's conflicting. My GPU isn't acting weird, so I'm going with it not being damaged.

Top Bottom
Login
Register