• Views 27,021
Monopolyman

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Tutorial Creator Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
The biggest issue with the hardware forums is that half the threads in here turn into a huge debate of NVIDIA vs AMD. Unfortunately, I've noticed that this problem has been getting worse, especially with the new AMD cards coming out. Arguing for your preferred company/hardware is perfectly fine, but it shouldn't be happening in every thread. For instance, this poor guy asked a simple question and the thread turned into a war of the fanboys.

Because of this, I decided it would be beneficial to at least try a dedicated thread for this specific debate. Of course, be respectful of the other members, follow the site rules, etc.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
Intel > AMD
NVIDIA > AMD

Seriously Nvidia cards are better, drivers are better, etc.

/thread

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Intel > AMD
Can't really argue much here, other than AMD being more budget friendly. However, it sounds like AMD Zen has the potential to whoop Skylake .
NVIDIA > AMD
While I agree that NVIDIA is often the winner when it comes down to raw performance, I like AMD's pricing and business model/ethics better than NVIDIA. For instance, look at GameWorks. No one really knows what the heck is happening since everything is NDA'd, but it's obvious GameWorks has some negative impact on AMD cards. With GameWorks and their new VR library, I'm concerned that there will be more segmentation in the market in the future. I just wish NVIDIA would make their stuff more open...

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Can't really argue much here, other than AMD being more budget friendly. However, it sounds like AMD Zen has the potential to whoop Skylake .

While I agree that NVIDIA is often the winner when it comes down to raw performance, I like AMD's pricing and business model/ethics better than NVIDIA. For instance, look at GameWorks. No one really knows what the heck is happening since everything is NDA'd, but it's obvious GameWorks has some negative impact on AMD cards. With GameWorks and their new VR library, I'm concerned that there will be more segmentation in the market in the future. I just wish NVIDIA would make their stuff more open...
AMD has to drop prices because it's the only way they can compete. Nvidia holds 75% marketshare so they can afford to have higher prices because people will continue to purchase the cards no matter what. Personally I had AMD for a year and had no issues but nvidia in my opinion has better driver support and shadowplay comes in handy as well.

KAOSxGaming

KAOSxGaming

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well AMD has very good budget cards can't say much about their re-brand though seems like their 3 new cards should be very competitive with the 980, 980 ti, and titan x. as for the Drivers/Panel i like Nvidia more I just love the look of Geforce Experience over amd catalyst but i have never even used any options in Geforce such as Shadow Play. But nvidia over pricing their 980 and somehow takes them 5+ months to state there was a miscommunication between their engineer team and advertising team.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$

I doubt Zen will beat skylake core for core but I will expect it to be a good mainstream option for 8 core strong APU's that are competitive with Intels 6 cores.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
CPU's

AMD better performance per dollar the 860k is the best CPU for the price its got i3 performance at less than a Pentium price.
The 8320 can hold its own in rendering or gaming for being $100 less than the 4690k
The 7850k/7870k are great APU's as well they use integrated gpu with R7 250xish specs with the 860k cpu for only $125-135

However when you have the budget for the 4690k unless your rendering and wanna game the 4690k is the bet and for rendering most people will try to fit a Xeon 1231 for 15 bucks more than the 4690k.

AMD cannot compete at the high end for CPU they compete in low end.

GPU

AMD is architecturally destroying Nvidia however Nvidia is pretty good on software side and generally stays heavily into advertising & getting nvidia sponsored for their games they typically butcher intel/amd's performance in their gameworks titles but it often hurts older Nvidia users more than it hurts AMD but that is a bonus for nvidia because then people upgrade to the latest series.

AMD is always good about staying ahead of the curve with being first to adopt DX features, first to adopt new ram types, first to make huge innovations like XDMA but they lack the funds to push this technology as hard as Nvidia can with their massive smear campaigns.

After Kepler came out people started making jokes about AMD cards being hot/using too much power but Kepler cards often consumed more power than the GCN equivalents and ran hotter with exception of the 290 reference cooler (after markets are fine but reference model sucked) but it still wasn't as bad as Fermi which litterally melted steal beams.

Back during the Vista days AMD had horrible time getting drivers out there this joke still is out there despite AMD being on top of latest even game-works releases. People love to say AMD's fault gameworks games had issues on AMD cards but they don't even realize what gameworks **** does or the scandals Nvidia has been involved in on a scale of 1-10 for terrible behavior with Stalin being 10 Nvidia would be about 8.5 with the **** they do it even hurts Nvidia but they enjoy it since it hurts AMD more.

I used to hate Intel because their anti-competitive practices back in the 90's-2000's but over the last 5 years they have been pretty squeaky clean and I respect them for cleaning up their business Nvidia has never changed.

Intel had those issues with the icp intentionally botching AMD performance, telling oem's to not stock amd cards or they won't deal with them, and **** like that which they were sued for. They haven't done much evil lately.

Nvidia will block companies from using SMAA on games because SMAA works agnostic on any hardware the same but promotes **** like TXAA which is a pile of ****. In crysis 2 they tessellated objects under the map which were not even seen to force AMD cards to do additional tesselation this hurt Nvidia cards as well but Nvidia has better tessellation so because of this AMD added a Tessellation limiter in CCC. In Nvidia's gameworks games many of them force physx (which nvidia blocks on amd cards forcing it to be loaded on the CPU for AMD), many objects have high tessellation despite no aesthetic benefit and limiting tessellation even to 32x or 16x will grant huge fps gains on AMD cards companies cannot modify the code for the gameworks libraries as well which is stupid because it prevents them from making fixes for AMD cards they have to submit a "bug report" to Nvidia then Nvidia can chose to fix it or not.

In things like TressFX from AMD it performs better on Nvidia hardware than Hairworks but Nvidia hates it and devs get the source code and can modify anything they want in it.

Nvidia has been caught doing the worst **** ever lying about specs of 970 card and then claiming less rops, cache, vram and bandwidth is a feature, then the old nvidia benchmark rigging they claimed was a driver bug, the old claiming Physx was incompatible with AMD hardware then a later version released that actually ran PHYSX on AMD cards and they quickly updated and patched it and now not only does it not run on AMD cards but if it detects an AMD card in your system it won't let your Nvidia card run physx. The SLI **** where they wouldn't allow SLI certification on AMD CPU motherboards (you need SLI license to use SLI and have to pay like 5 bucks for every mobo you sell) and how they BLOCKED AMD's crossfire on many nforce chipsets for Intel & AMD mobo's. They ****ed Kepler performance and blacked it on driver bugs. They released drivers that fried older Nvidia cards multiple times and just said oh well older cards buy the new ones.

Well AMD has very good budget cards can't say much about their re-brand though seems like their 3 new cards should be very competitive with the 980, 980 ti, and titan x. as for the Drivers/Panel i like Nvidia more I just love the look of Geforce Experience over amd catalyst but i have never even used any options in Geforce such as Shadow Play. But nvidia over pricing their 980 and somehow takes them 5+ months to state there was a miscommunication between their engineer team and advertising team.

Geforce Experiance equivalent is AMD Raptr/AMD Gaming Evolved (2 names same thing)

Nvidia Control Panel & AMD Control Center are the other 2 I like Gaming evolved but nvidia control panel.

Chazay

Chazay

Android
Retired
Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Donator Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Sometimes nvidia is better, sometimes AMD is. They get a foothold above each other every few months.

I think the newest line of GPUs makes AMD a very strong competitor.

Basically, you can't go wrong with whatever you get.

Edit: I forgot to add that I hate how nvidia purposely sabotages AMD with their buying out of companies and adding their own software and such.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Sometimes nvidia is better, sometimes AMD is. They get a foothold above each other every few months.

I think the newest line of GPUs makes AMD a very strong competitor.

Basically, you can't go wrong with whatever you get.

Edit: I forgot to add that I hate how nvidia purposely sabotages AMD with their buying out of companies and adding their own software and such.
Buying out companies to improve their own software for their hardware is just smart business. It happens all the time with other companies.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Buying out companies to improve their own software for their hardware is just smart business. It happens all the time with other companies.
They don't improve their hardware they hurt 100% of users including Nvidia and it hurts AMD more.

Despite gameworks **** the AMD cards still win on games like GTA/Witcher 3 despite both being gameworks and Witcher 3 even forcing physx.

L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$
CPU's

AMD better performance per dollar the 860k is the best CPU for the price its got i3 performance at less than a Pentium price.
The 8320 can hold its own in rendering or gaming for being $100 less than the 4690k
The 7850k/7870k are great APU's as well they use integrated gpu with R7 250xish specs with the 860k cpu for only $125-135

However when you have the budget for the 4690k unless your rendering and wanna game the 4690k is the bet and for rendering most people will try to fit a Xeon 1231 for 15 bucks more than the 4690k.

AMD cannot compete at the high end for CPU they compete in low end.

GPU

AMD is architecturally destroying Nvidia however Nvidia is pretty good on software side and generally stays heavily into advertising & getting nvidia sponsored for their games they typically butcher intel/amd's performance in their gameworks titles but it often hurts older Nvidia users more than it hurts AMD but that is a bonus for nvidia because then people upgrade to the latest series.

AMD is always good about staying ahead of the curve with being first to adopt DX features, first to adopt new ram types, first to make huge innovations like XDMA but they lack the funds to push this technology as hard as Nvidia can with their massive smear campaigns.

After Kepler came out people started making jokes about AMD cards being hot/using too much power but Kepler cards often consumed more power than the GCN equivalents and ran hotter with exception of the 290 reference cooler (after markets are fine but reference model sucked) but it still wasn't as bad as Fermi which litterally melted steal beams.

Back during the Vista days AMD had horrible time getting drivers out there this joke still is out there despite AMD being on top of latest even game-works releases. People love to say AMD's fault gameworks games had issues on AMD cards but they don't even realize what gameworks **** does or the scandals Nvidia has been involved in on a scale of 1-10 for terrible behavior with Stalin being 10 Nvidia would be about 8.5 with the **** they do it even hurts Nvidia but they enjoy it since it hurts AMD more.

I used to hate Intel because their anti-competitive practices back in the 90's-2000's but over the last 5 years they have been pretty squeaky clean and I respect them for cleaning up their business Nvidia has never changed.

Intel had those issues with the icp intentionally botching AMD performance, telling oem's to not stock amd cards or they won't deal with them, and **** like that which they were sued for. They haven't done much evil lately.

Nvidia will block companies from using SMAA on games because SMAA works agnostic on any hardware the same but promotes **** like TXAA which is a pile of ****. In crysis 2 they tessellated objects under the map which were not even seen to force AMD cards to do additional tesselation this hurt Nvidia cards as well but Nvidia has better tessellation so because of this AMD added a Tessellation limiter in CCC. In Nvidia's gameworks games many of them force physx (which nvidia blocks on amd cards forcing it to be loaded on the CPU for AMD), many objects have high tessellation despite no aesthetic benefit and limiting tessellation even to 32x or 16x will grant huge fps gains on AMD cards companies cannot modify the code for the gameworks libraries as well which is stupid because it prevents them from making fixes for AMD cards they have to submit a "bug report" to Nvidia then Nvidia can chose to fix it or not.

In things like TressFX from AMD it performs better on Nvidia hardware than Hairworks but Nvidia hates it and devs get the source code and can modify anything they want in it.

Nvidia has been caught doing the worst **** ever lying about specs of 970 card and then claiming less rops, cache, vram and bandwidth is a feature, then the old nvidia benchmark rigging they claimed was a driver bug, the old claiming Physx was incompatible with AMD hardware then a later version released that actually ran PHYSX on AMD cards and they quickly updated and patched it and now not only does it not run on AMD cards but if it detects an AMD card in your system it won't let your Nvidia card run physx. The SLI **** where they wouldn't allow SLI certification on AMD CPU motherboards (you need SLI license to use SLI and have to pay like 5 bucks for every mobo you sell) and how they BLOCKED AMD's crossfire on many nforce chipsets for Intel & AMD mobo's. They ****ed Kepler performance and blacked it on driver bugs. They released drivers that fried older Nvidia cards multiple times and just said oh well older cards buy the new ones.

Geforce Experiance equivalent is AMD Raptr/AMD Gaming Evolved (2 names same thing)

Nvidia Control Panel & AMD Control Center are the other 2 I like Gaming evolved but nvidia control panel.
Tl;dr?

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
They don't improve their hardware they hurt 100% of users including Nvidia and it hurts AMD more.

Despite gameworks **** the AMD cards still win on games like GTA/Witcher 3 despite both being gameworks and Witcher 3 even forcing physx.
Nvidia cards win on witcher 3.... Not sure about gta 5

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I doubt Zen will beat skylake core for core but I will expect it to be a good mainstream option for 8 core strong APU's that are competitive with Intels 6 cores.
Well Zen will allegedly have a 40% IPC increase and many other improvements over Excavator. If it does end up beating Skylake, Intel will be in quite a rough place considering it will be awhile until they can make something that can compete with it.

The fact that there may be a 16-core cpu coming from them is also quite remarkable. As far as I'm aware, Intel has no plans to make a Skylake CPU with more than 4 cores (Except with Xeons, but those will likely be very expensive, like the multicore Xeons today). If anything, it will take Broadwell-E to really compete with AMD in terms of cores.

While it's unclear how exactly the performance will pair up with Intel, there's no doubt that it will shake some things up.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Well Zen will allegedly have a 40% IPC increase and many other improvements over Excavator. If it does end up beating Skylake, Intel will be in quite a rough place considering it will be awhile until they can make something that can compete with it.

The fact that there may be a 16-core cpu coming from them is also quite remarkable. As far as I'm aware, Intel has no plans to make a Skylake CPU with more than 4 cores (Except with Xeons, but those will likely be very expensive, like the multicore Xeons today). If anything, it will take Broadwell-E to really compete with AMD in terms of cores.

While it's unclear how exactly the performance will pair up with Intel, there's no doubt that it will shake some things up.
The 4 cores will come out in august and 6 cores prob won't be here till next year in the Skylake-e series.

j5YBoNh.png

No MRSP yet.

The 6400 appeals to me as a budget option but who knows the price.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Nvidia cards win on witcher 3.... Not sure about gta 5

290X beats 970 in witcher 3 despite running physx and gameworks.
390X beats the 980

And turning tessellation to 32x or 16x allows you to even run hairworks on the 290X without ever dropping below 60 unlike the 970.

Last edited:
Monopolyman

Monopolyman

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
The 4 cores will come out in august and 6 cores prob won't be here till next year in the Skylake-e series.

No MRSP yet.

The 6400 appeals to me as a budget option but who knows the price.
It'll be interesting to see where the quad-core Zen lines up with the Skylakes. If they are competitive with price and/or performance then Intel is going to be forced to do something with pricing. If Zen is really good, Intel likely won't have something serious (other than Skylake refreshes/higher clocks) to compete with it until late 2017.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
It'll be interesting to see where the quad-core Zen lines up with the Skylakes. If they are competitive with price and/or performance then Intel is going to be forced to do something with pricing. If Zen is really good, Intel likely won't have something serious (other than Skylake refreshes/higher clocks) to compete with it until late 2017.
Lots of people are expecting about Sandy bridge or haswell per clock per core performance but will have more cores and cheaper price than skylake. Technically Zen has to compete with cannonlake as it will be coming about the same time as cannonlake but that is just a skylake shrink.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Monopolyman

Monopolyman

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Lots of people are expecting about Sandy bridge or haswell per clock per core performance but will have more cores and cheaper price than skylake. Technically Zen has to compete with cannonlake as it will be coming about the same time as cannonlake but that is just a skylake shrink.
Yeah, Cannonlake is a tick and isn't due until 2017, which means the 10nm tock will likely be late 2017 at the earliest. It will be really nice if AMD can shake things up a bit.

Top Bottom
Login
Register