• Views 568
Wheen

Wheen

Bytesexual
Retired
Programmer Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
intel_snbe_es_chip.jpg

IntelSandy Bridge was a huge leap forward for Intel, but in the never ending core count race, they still have some catching up to do with AMD. Rumors were circulating about a new possible eight-core variant, but now we have proof. An overzealous third party is looking to sell off its preview chip, and the image you’re looking at here is for an eight-core Sandy Bridge part that is branded “E” for “Enthusiast”. The chip shown is only rated at 1.6 GHz, but we expect these numbers to be not just overclockable, but likely to grow prior to launch.

Intel seems to have succeeded at shutting down the auction prior to any sale being made, but this will no doubt pop up again somewhere else. At $1,360 USD the asking price is a bit on the high side, and when you combine this with the reality that you’re unlikely to find a Socket 2011 to drop it into, you’re looking at a pretty expensive paperweight.

It remains to be seen if this chip will ever see the light of day, or if Intel will choose to take on eight-core Bulldozer parts with a faster six-core CPU’s instead. We continue to see quad core Intel chips outperforming AMD’s six core variants in most benchmarks, but some heavily multi-threaded applications are starting to tip the balance. Either way I doubt any self-respecting Maximum PC reader would turn their nose up at 16 threads.

Source - Maximum PC

Operating System
  1. Windows
7s ragdoll

7s ragdoll

Contributor
Reaction score
i love the i5 2500k in that price range but i like the look of this badboy. aslong as i get more money that is. i think we are looking at a bestseller here i think.

i can imagine something like 3.50ghz or around there overclock able to like 5.00ghz or something you know i hate not knowing benchmarks and having to guess.

Asphyxia

Asphyxia

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, this looks insane. I wonder what the price tag will be for one of these at 3.3Ghz.

psych0t1csupr1s3

Psych0t1cSupp3r

Linux. Superior, period.
Reaction score
AMD has always bested Intel in my opinion. I don't think that this makes them even at all. AMD will always be one step ahead in this race.

K

knockem

Contributor
Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
It was probably fake.. it was taken off ebay the day after the article came out.

Tyler

Tyler

Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips &
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Forum Addict
Reaction score
Six core just came out not long ago didn't it?

AMD is better though. At least for gaming anyway.

Wheen

Wheen

Bytesexual
Retired
Programmer Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Six core just came out not long ago didn't it?

AMD is better though. At least for gaming anyway.
...not performance wise.

The only advantage AMD processors have over their Intel counterparts are price.

-Pirate

-Pirate

Reaction score
Intel also showcased a 99 core server CPU its not for sale though :frown:

Top Bottom