What's new

Tutorial Installing/Upgrading Windows 10 - Updated for the April 2018 Update! - Support, Tips, Tricks & More!

D

Deleted member 726818

I'm no hero. Never was, never will be.
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright. Try those steps I mentioned and see if it's any help.
Well the MCT is working, thanks for that. Now I wait... :smile:

Wavy

Wavy

Content Creator
Retired
Platinum Record Video Connoisseur Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Cakes Cakes can I disregard all of the Windows Updates I have yet to install of I follow the Media Creation Tool method? I read somewhere that these needed to be installed to get Windows 10 normally and was not sure.

hkA4Tth.png

W

whoisemezy

Reaction score
Sin$
I just Put my Locale to US and the Media creation tool started to Work and now its downoading windows 10 :smile: love you cakes NO HOMO

S

Scarlett Johansson

(⌐■_■)
Reaction score
Sin$
When I try to open the MediaCreationTool nothing opens up.

EDIT: The MediaCreationTool decided to open up after 10 tries.

Last edited:
VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
Cakes Cakes can I disregard all of the Windows Updates I have yet to install of I follow the Media Creation Tool method? I read somewhere that these needed to be installed to get Windows 10 normally and was not sure.

hkA4Tth.png

kb something something 83 has to be installed. can't remember the entire name. but you need that, then the windows upgrade feature will be shown in the bottom right corner of your screen. from there you reserve 10. then you should be able to use the upgrade tool.

Monkey D Luffy

Monkey D Luffy

King Of The Pirates
Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright. Try those steps I mentioned and see if it's any help.
Ok new issue lol where do i delete the update files for windows 10 ? Each time i turn the computer back on it just stays at a black screen

S

Scarlett Johansson

(⌐■_■)
Reaction score
Sin$
Cakes Cakes Is it weird that Windows 10 didn't do a clean install? I picked the option where the installer would not keep any of the files or apps, but it has kept all of the files and apps. If I were to reset the PC now would I still keep Windows 10?

Last edited:
Shoe

Shoe

♛COTM July 2016♛
Hidden Devils
CotM FotM Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
I installed windows 10 and did as you said above and it kept asking me to activate it how to i work around this

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$

hkA4Tth.png
Install the updates. You need to have a reserved copy via the Get Windows 10 app to receive a free upgrade. The GWX app is installed via Windows Update.
Ok new issue lol where do i delete the update files for windows 10 ? Each time i turn the computer back on it just stays at a black screen
How far did it go on the install? Did it finish or was it still doing it?
I installed windows 10 and did as you said above and it kept asking me to activate it how to i work around this
1) Did you reserve a copy via the Get Windows 10 app?
2) Does it say "Connect to the Internet to activate Windows", or does it say for you to go to the Store and purchase a key for Windows 10?

Shoe

Shoe

♛COTM July 2016♛
Hidden Devils
CotM FotM Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
the install went well
then after a day of using it it asked me to go to a store and purchase a key

and i had all resent update done as they happened just before i did it and i had the app as Cakes Cakes told me how to get it

Monkey D Luffy

Monkey D Luffy

King Of The Pirates
Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
Install the updates. You need to have a reserved copy via the Get Windows 10 app to receive a free upgrade. The GWX app is installed via Windows Update.

How far did it go on the install? Did it finish or was it still doing it?

1) Did you reserve a copy via the Get Windows 10 app?
2) Does it say "Connect to the Internet to activate Windows", or does it say for you to go to the Store and purchase a key for Windows 10?
it was like around 83% then it said there was a problem and now im back to windows 7 again

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
the install went well
then after a day of using it it asked me to go to a store and purchase a key

and i had all resent update done as they happened just before i did it and i had the app as Cakes Cakes told me how to get it
I haven't seen anything like that on the forums I've been keeping an eye on for Windows 10 stuff. You might want to contact Microsoft support and see if there is anything they can do for you. Worse case scenario is that you'll have to downgrade back and re-upgrade.
it was like around 83% then it said there was a problem and now im back to windows 7 again
Did you change any hardware during the install? Such as connecting/disconnecting any devices? Also, did you create a bootable USB/DVD and use it to upgrade, or did you do the "Upgrade this PC" option?

Monkey D Luffy

Monkey D Luffy

King Of The Pirates
Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
I haven't seen anything like that on the forums I've been keeping an eye on for Windows 10 stuff. You might want to contact Microsoft support and see if there is anything they can do for you. Worse case scenario is that you'll have to downgrade back and re-upgrade.

Did you change any hardware during the install? Such as connecting/disconnecting any devices? Also, did you create a bootable USB/DVD and use it to upgrade, or did you do the "Upgrade this PC" option?
no i didnt and i tried to "Upgrade this pc" and i made a bootable dvd . neither have been working

Shoe

Shoe

♛COTM July 2016♛
Hidden Devils
CotM FotM Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
i just downgraded now but they probz wont do anything now will they ?

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
no i didnt and i tried to "Upgrade this pc" and i made a bootable dvd . neither have been working
Wait, did it fail at 83% when the Windows 10 setup is still running on your computer, before it restarts to start the install? 
i just downgraded now but they probz wont do anything now will they ?
From what I've seen, they either tell you to wait a few days, downgrade or buy a key.

Monkey D Luffy

Monkey D Luffy

King Of The Pirates
Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
Wait, did it fail at 83% when the Windows 10 setup is still running on your computer, before it restarts to start the install? 

From what I've seen, they either tell you to wait a few days, downgrade or buy a key.
well it was around 80% but yes thats correct

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
well it was around 80% but yes thats correct
Had the same issue on my Surface at first, but mine was failing at 22%. I never figured out why it was happening, I ended up just Resetting my PC on Windows 8.1 and it worked afterwards. I assume it must have been an update that wasn't installed correctly, or some compatibility issue it ran across. Of course, this option was easy for me to do since I didn't have anything on my Surface at the time anyways.

As for the thread: Just added Edit #6, which will be a somewhat constantly updated list of tips and tricks for Windows 10. Also updated Edit #5 with info on how to stop saving new files automatically to OneDrive.

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
Both of you delete everything in the following folders and try again:

C:\$Windows.~BT
C:\$Windows.~WS

Open task manager, go to Services tab, find Windows Update, Right Click > Stop

Delete everything inside of:
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads\
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Datalogs\

Right click the Windows Update service and click start. Then try running the MCT again.

What version of Windows are you guys running btw?
windows 8.1
I followed the steps, except the stopping of windows update. I couldn't find it.

Top Bottom
Login
Register