What's new

Tutorial Installing/Upgrading Windows 10 - Updated for the April 2018 Update! - Support, Tips, Tricks & More!

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
i have figrued the streaming out it is slick, no lag or problems so far
Nice, mind letting know how you did it? I'm not sure how to do it on this version of the Xbox App, since the one I used on the Insider Build had an entirely different sidebar.

Also, I just updated the OP with instructions on how to force install Windows 10 without needing to use Windows Update (via an official tool released by Microsoft).

M

matty999

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm sure I got 8GB, but on a 32bit OS, it'll only show 4GB.

Which I don't mind doing.
You'll have to update to the 32 bit version and see that you're activated, then you can use the Media Creation tool linked in the OP in order to make a bootable USB/DVD for a clean install.

Crucify

Crucify

Let's do this!
Mythical Veteran Jokester AzzidReign Jr
Reaction score
Sin$
Was reported on WinBeta earlier today that the people who reserved Windows 10 via the Get Windows 10 app, have begun to receive the Windows 10 download.

The files currently download to "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and then I assume it's moved to "C:\$Windows.~BT" once the file(s) are ready. Download sizes have been ranging from 3GB's to 7GB's and higher.

If you've reserved the Windows 10 update, make sure to be using your Windows 8.1 install today, so that it downloads. To check if you've begun downloading the update, you can check your Installed Updates page for the following: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (Failed). It should say failed because it cannot install Windows 10 yet, it's just downloading the files. There hasn't been anything said about when we'll be able to install the actual update, but most people have been saying that it'll either be at 10AM EDT or right off the bat at 12AM EDT.

-------------------------------------------

Edit #1: Windows 10 will officially launch on July 29th, 2015 at 7AM EDT. You can check the countdown here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/default.aspx#

Edit #2: Not sure if the time mentioned in Edit #1 is correct, as another page on MS' site says that it'll launch at 12AM EDT.

The countdowns seemed to have been wrong, it launched roughly around 12:30AM EST.

Edit #3: You can force install Windows 10 using the Media Creation tool.
Steps for force installing:
  1. Download the Media Creation tool from Microsoft website.
  2. Run the tool.
  3. Check "Upgrade this PC". *
  4. Follow the installer and upgrade your PC to Windows 10 for free.
  5. Wait for activation. **
  6. Enjoy Windows 10.
* You MUST have an activated version of Windows 7/8/8.1 in order to use the free upgrade. Otherwise you will be asked for a Product Key. DO NOT CLEAN INSTALL WINDOWS 10, you will NOT be activated. You MUST upgrade from a activated Windows install in order to get an activated Windows 10 install. AFTER updating to Windows 10 and activating, you can use the same Media Creation tool to make a bootable USB/DVD for installing Windows 10 via a Clean Install. Your activation will remain on your PC AFTER you've upgraded.

** You should automatically be activated once your Windows 10 upgrade has finished. However, some users are reporting that they are getting a message saying "Connect to the internet to activate Windows". Don't worry about this message from Windows. You're getting this message because you're unable to make a solid connection to the Windows activation service. You can either:
  • Spam the "Activate" button until it activates.
  • Sit back and wait until it connects and activates itself.
Enjoy Windows 10! If you have any issues or questions, let me know. I was on the preview for a few weeks, so I'm a bit familiarized with the OS already.

Are you guys ready? :biggrin: Selena Gomez denz NixFifty xleg1tquiksc0pezzx

When you update to Windows 10, is their a way for me to save or back up my Windows 8.1? I know that it will save everything as Windows.old but I'm not familiar with that process.

Thanks man.

Jeeper

Jeeper

Jeeper of Rivia
Seasoned Veteran Mr. Nice Guy Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
jU6nJVW.png

:biggrin:

D

Deleted member 726818

I'm no hero. Never was, never will be.
Reaction score
Sin$
You'll have to update to the 32 bit version and see that you're activated, then you can use the Media Creation tool linked in the OP in order to make a bootable USB/DVD for a clean install.
Oh okay. I'll give it a go.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
When you update to Windows 10, is their a way for me to save or back up my Windows 8.1? I know that it will save everything as Windows.old but I'm not familiar with that process.

Thanks man.
Your Windows install will be moved to Windows.old, but your documents, files and programs will remain intact and reside in the same place they were in before. For example, if you upgrade with some documents on your Desktop and a few programs installed, you'll have them there when you're done upgrading.
Nice, I just got past my "Connect to the internet to activate Windows" error and going to do the clean install. :smile:
Did that open up randomly or did you do the OP steps?
No, he's updating via the Media Creation tool (steps are in Edit #3 from OP).

Crucify

Crucify

Let's do this!
Mythical Veteran Jokester AzzidReign Jr
Reaction score
Sin$
Your Windows install will be moved to Windows.old, but your documents, files and programs will remain intact and reside in the same place they were in before. For example, if you upgrade with some documents on your Desktop and a few programs installed, you'll have them there when you're done upgrading.

Nice, I just got past my "Connect to the internet to activate Windows" error and going to do the clean install. :smile:

No, he's updating via the Media Creation tool (steps are in Edit #3 from OP).

This is a very dumb question but is that the same tool the same process as waiting for the Windows 10 update?

Symphoniczz

Symphoniczz

PS4 Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
im sitting here and its just a purple screen with a spinning circle. is this normal or do i need to reset the windows 10 setup from the Media Creation Tool?

Chazay

Chazay

Android
Retired
Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Donator Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
This is a very dumb question but is that the same tool the same process as waiting for the Windows 10 update?
I haven't done the update yet but I think you can force the update with some kind of Command Prompt command.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
No, it's not the same. The command prompt method just forces Windows Update to keep trying to download the files. Using the Media Creation tool, it will download the Windows 10 install files and start the install when you're ready. Removing the need to wait for Windows Update to prompt you.
im sitting here and its just a purple screen with a spinning circle. is this normal or do i need to reset the windows 10 setup from the Media Creation Tool?
Not sure, It's a pretty lightweight application and just downloads the install. Maybe try re-downloading the tool?

As for the thread, just finished my clean install and everything is good :smile:. Activation remained; didn't even ask me for my key during install.

Top Bottom
Login
Register