• Thread starter Explosive
  • Start date
  • Views 2,986
Explosive

Explosive

Joshh Tha Boss
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm having a ton of trouble putting windows 7 on a new hdd. I don't have any discs to put it on I was going to try to just make a usb bootable and install from there but still haveing trouble.
I dl'd windows 7.
Someone please help D:

Liberation

Liberation

I just work here dude
Content Team
Mythical Veteran Mr. Nice Guy 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm having a ton of trouble putting windows 7 on a new hdd. I don't have any discs to put it on I was going to try to just make a usb bootable and install from there but still haveing trouble.
I dl'd windows 7.
Someone please help D:
What's going wrong?

Explosive

Explosive

Joshh Tha Boss
Reaction score
Sin$
What's going wrong?
Well since theres no OS on it I can't boot into windows so I have to boot from the usb of course.
But I only have the files to dl windows so if I boot from the USB it doesn't start the setup cause its not a .iso just the actual files. I don't know what to do

Liberation

Liberation

I just work here dude
Content Team
Reaction score
Sin$
Well since theres no OS on it I can't boot into windows so I have to boot from the usb of course.
But I only have the files to dl windows so if I boot from the USB it doesn't start the setup cause its not a .iso just the actual files. I don't know what to do
Do you have a spare PC/laptop that you can get on to download the OS? Also you can try to install Ubuntu to use it as a OS temporarily and DualBoot Win7 after you had downloaded the ISO. Then from there uninstall Ubutnu.

Explosive

Explosive

Joshh Tha Boss
Reaction score
Sin$
Do you have a spare PC/laptop that you can get on to download the OS? Also you can try to install Ubuntu to use it as a OS temporarily and DualBoot Win7 after you had downloaded the ISO. Then from there uninstall Ubutnu.
Well could I plug the hdd in externally and install the os to the external or is that not possible and it would install to the hdd in the computer

Liberation

Liberation

I just work here dude
Content Team
Reaction score
Sin$
Well could I plug the hdd in externally and install the os to the external or is that not possible and it would install to the hdd in the computer
Hmm, well what are you on right now? I'm 100% sure you can make a bootable USB but you don't have the ISO downloaded to convert it using a program to allow it.

Explosive

Explosive

Joshh Tha Boss
Reaction score
Sin$
Hmm, well what are you on right now? I'm 100% sure you can make a bootable USB but you don't have the ISO downloaded to convert it using a program to allow it.
Whenever I do it, it just makes the files into a rar with .iso at the end lol. errrrrrrgh

Liberation

Liberation

I just work here dude
Content Team
Reaction score
Sin$
Whenever I do it, it just makes the files into a rar with .iso at the end lol. errrrrrrgh
It should still work, that's just to decompress the folder. What program are you using to make a bootable USB?

BreakdowN v2

BreakdowN v2

VIP
Retired
End of the Year 2012 End of the Year 2016 End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
...Just burn the OS onto a disk one another computer. You can't just throw files onto a drive and have it boot. You need to have it installed onto the USB so to speak, which is what it does on a CD as an ISO. It's hard to explain what to do so I searched real quick and got some links that should help you.. But using a disk is far easier, at least to me as it's how I load windows daily.
http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

Explosive

Explosive

Joshh Tha Boss
Reaction score
Sin$
...Just burn the OS onto a disk one another computer. You can't just throw files onto a drive and have it boot. You need to have it installed onto the USB so to speak, which is what it does on a CD as an ISO. It's hard to explain what to do so I searched real quick and got some links that should help you.. But using a disk is far easier, at least to me as it's how I load windows daily.
http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/
That first link is exactly what I'm doing its just messing up when copying files.

BreakdowN v2

BreakdowN v2

VIP
Retired
End of the Year 2012 End of the Year 2016 End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
That first link is exactly what I'm doing its just messing up when copying files.
How does it "mess up"..? If you aren't copying the files right then of course its not going to work..

Top Bottom
Login
Register