• Thread starter dEku
  • Start date
  • Views 9,621
dEku

dEku

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm sorry if there is already a thread discussing what it does but I didn't feel like searching for it because this is much easier and I have a lot of questions.

I like Ubuntu so far but some things I would like to know are:

-With W.I.N.E, can I run a lot of programs that are windows based? Just a rough estimate would be fine.

-Since I only have 1gb of RAM, will Ubuntu run a lot faster than Windows 7?

-Could I run Photoshop CS5 on Ubuntu?

-Could I play Emulators like Project 64, ePSXe, and other emulators for gameboys and such?

-How much more versatile is Ubuntu to Windows 7? (I may have used that in the wrong context but I'm hoping whoever can figure it out)

- Every now and again I like to run modding programs for xbox, do I just have to run it in/with W.I.N.E or whatever?

-I think I saw a way to run iTunes on linux, do I do that just like any other program for windows, with W.I.N.E and such?

-Is there a good program that will play any type type of file so I could watch a show? Because I have Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z and I've only found 1 program that will actual play the type of file it is but it is just for windows. I'm guessing the same thing with W.I.N.E? I just want to know, sorry if it's a little repetitive. lol It's a .rmvb file type, BTW.

-I have Steam, same thing as above. Unless there is a linux version, I'm not sure.

-I also want to learn languages with Rosetta Stone and I have that too, same thing as above.

-Do I need to download something to mount ISO's like on Windows with Daemon tools or whatever other program? If so, is there some for linux and what are they? Or could I just download one for Windows and run it in/with W.I.N.E?

-I really don't want to lose a lot of my stuff if I feel like switching over, is there any way I can keep most of it without putting it on an external? I don't have one but if I can't, I might be able to borrow someones so I could do the transfer.

I might think of more questions when they pop up. I'll add them later when I think of more. Thank you to anyone and everyone who helps. I'll +rep because I'm really considering switching and if you can list some things that are a plus, that would be cool too. I know some downsides but I want to see what you guys have to say too. Thanks for everything. :smile:

Operating System
  1. Linux
Victoria Justice

UnCle DiiGz

Contributor
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
so how do you like the dock on the side?
i tried to run a virtual machine but could not figure it out do you know how to do this

dEku

dEku

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
i tried to run a virtual machine but could not figure it out do you know how to do this

wut

I'm just running it off the disc I burned it too. I don't have a dock setup or anything because I'm just trying it. I'll f*ck around with this so much if I get enough of my answers and see if I should switch over or not.

When I'm on Windows 7, I can't even get virtual machine to install.. ._.

S y N I K a L

S y N I K a L

/ˈsɪn·ɪ·kəl/
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
To be honest it sounds like you are heavily dependent on windows to do the things on your computer you enjoy doing. I'm no linux genius but I highly doubt you'll be able to implement everything you want to do on your windows machine, even with W.I.N.E. (yes, I used to run Ubuntu 10.10 so I have an idea). Maybe try cleaning your computer out to have it run a little faster/smoother as an alternative?

Pedophile

TigerBlood

Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm sorry if there is already a thread discussing what it does but I didn't feel like searching for it because this is much easier and I have a lot of questions.

-With W.I.N.E, can I run a lot of programs that are windows based? Just a rough estimate would be fine.

Unfortunately I never used WINE. I used VMWare Workstation to run XP for any applications I couldn't replace.

Yes. My desktop had 1 GB, integrated graphics, and an old AMD Athlon chip and it out performs XP. It was also able to run XP in a virtual machine fine.

Yes. That program (and I'm assuming all the other Adobe programs) is compatible with WINE. There was a tutorial for setting it up, but I don't know where it is anymore.

-Could I play Emulators like Project 64, ePSXe, and other emulators for gameboys and such?

It depends if the emulator is ported to Linux or is compatible with WINE. I'm fairly positive most of the emulators I've seen had a Linux port, but it all depends on who made the emulator.

-How much more versatile is Ubuntu to Windows 7? (I may have used that in the wrong context but I'm hoping whoever can figure it out)

If you mean customization, a lot more. With it being open source, you can literally do whatever you want.

- Every now and again I like to run modding programs for xbox, do I just have to run it in/with W.I.N.E or whatever?

They might be compatible with WINE, but I just used VMWare Workstation since they're not that bulky programs.

-I think I saw a way to run iTunes on linux, do I do that just like any other program for windows, with W.I.N.E and such?

There's a program for Linux that let's you transfer music both ways across your iPod. If not, you can just use a virtual machine.

-Is there a good program that will play any type type of file so I could watch a show? Because I have Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z and I've only found 1 program that will actual play the type of file it is but it is just for windows. I'm guessing the same thing with W.I.N.E? I just want to know, sorry if it's a little repetitive. lol It's a .rmvb file type, BTW.

Supposedly the most versatile media program in the world has a Linux port, but I really don't know to be honest.

-I have Steam, same thing as above. Unless there is a linux version, I'm not sure.

I'm really not sure about Steam. I know there are projects to support games, but they won't play as well as they would on Windows. If you're going to game, I'd recommend dual-booting with XP for games.

-I also want to learn languages with Rosetta Stone and I have that too, same thing as above.

It might be compatible with WINE, but I really don't know. You could use a virtual machine though.

-Do I need to download something to mount ISO's like on Windows with Daemon tools or whatever other program? If so, is there some for linux and what are they? Or could I just download one for Windows and run it in/with W.I.N.E?

There are mounting tools for Linux.

I might think of more questions when they pop up. I'll add them later when I think of more.

That's all I know, unfortunately. I'm not trying to advertise, but I'd recommend you try asking some questions here.

Good luck.

Victoria Justice

UnCle DiiGz

Contributor
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Im talking about the dock on the left side of the screen which is very helpful in my opinion . Also if this is your first time using a different OS i suggest you watch some tuts on youtube to get the hang of the OS.

dEku

dEku

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
To be honest it sounds like you are heavily dependent on windows to do the things on your computer you enjoy doing. I'm no linux genius but I highly doubt you'll be able to implement everything you want to do on your windows machine, even with W.I.N.E. (yes, I used to run Ubuntu 10.10 so I have an idea). Maybe try cleaning your computer out to have it run a little faster/smoother as an alternative?

Well, I've only used Windows with the exception of using a Mac for a few weeks. So, yeah, I'm dependent on Windows programs. lol But if I can find an alternative to some of them, that would be great. Or if I can't a way to run them would be awesome. I did try cleaning my computer.. It's like 6 years old. lol

I just want something new. I'm going to save up for a new computer so I can have one for Windows 7 and one for Ubuntu. But I want change right now! lol

I think I explained a little bit more when replying to TigerBlood about some of the stuff. It kinda just flowed out then. I know I won't be able to get everything but I feel like I can get just enough for what I do anyways. Which is just surf the internet and screw around on the internet.

That's all I know, unfortunately. I'm not trying to advertise, but I'd recommend you try asking some questions here.

Good luck.

I could but I know some people use linux here and I feel more comfortable asking here. Thanks for the input. I don't play on running games with Steam or whatever until I get a better computer but it's just in case I feel like doing some Garry's Mod. Other than that, I think if I switched now, I would be fine because I'm usually on the internet and maybe I might play an emulator if I get bored. So far, I've found some alternatives to some windows programs and since I can save some of the stuff to windows format, I wouldn't need those programs but I just want some solid information is all.

I do appreciate your help and input though. :smile:

Im talking about the dock on the left side of the screen which is very helpful in my opinion . Also if this is your first time using a different OS i suggest you watch some tuts on youtube to get the hang of the OS.

I've had a Mac laptop and I've tried Ubuntu about a year and a half ago but I didn't understand Ubuntu then and I didn't know that it wouldn't let me get back to Windows so I kinda freaked out. But now I'm willing. :3

I'll take all the advice I can get out of this thread before I make the decision. I'm going to think about it though when I'm not on the computer, but not too much. :tongue:

ner0

ner0

Seasoned Member
Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Lets see what I can answer here:
- With WINE you can run some Windows based things but compatibility will differ from program to program
- It will run faster
- No idea on the photoshop one as I never tried, there are probably some Open Source alternatives though
- There are many emulators for linux
- Not entirely sure what you mean by "versatile"
- Modding program compatibility will probably be much like the WINE question
- Itunes does not run natively on linux and there isn't a linux version last I checked, but I do believe I found an article before on an older version that can run by workarounds
- Some Steam games will work under WINE but more then likely that's not gonna cut it and if you want to play games I would recommend a dual boot and not a full switch
- Getting file types to play shouldn't be that difficult on Open Source
- Mount .Iso's like games? These probably won't work as expected
- To not lose your stuff without external I guess dual booting?

Overall not to offend you at all but I would recommend a dual boot so you can learn while not leaving yourself unable to do some of the things on this list, mainly gaming.

dEku

dEku

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Lets see what I can answer here:
- With WINE you can run some Windows based things but compatibility will differ from program to program
- It will run faster
- No idea on the photoshop one as I never tried, there are probably some Open Source alternatives though
- There are many emulators for linux
- Not entirely sure what you mean by "versatile"
- Modding program compatibility will probably be much like the WINE question
- Itunes does not run natively on linux and there isn't a linux version last I checked, but I do believe I found an article before on an older version that can run by workarounds
- Some Steam games will work under WINE but more then likely that's not gonna cut it and if you want to play games I would recommend a dual boot and not a full switch
- Getting file types to play shouldn't be that difficult on Open Source
- Mount .Iso's like games? These probably won't work as expected
- To not lose your stuff without external I guess dual booting?

Overall not to offend you at all but I would recommend a dual boot so you can learn while not leaving yourself unable to do some of the things on this list, mainly gaming.

I need a better computer for gaming anyway so I don't think the gaming will matter as much, it's there for just something to expect. Last time I dual-booted Ubuntu with Windows 7, I couldn't access Windows 7 and I had to format and reinstall Windows 7 because I wasn't exactly ready for it. I can learn, I don't think it will be that hard to learn the things I want to do because I usually just do basic stuff now on the computer. Like browsing and watching shows, not that much gaming anymore.

Thanks for your opinion though.

ner0

ner0

Seasoned Member
Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Last time I dual-booted Ubuntu with Windows 7, I couldn't access Windows 7 and I had to format and reinstall Windows 7 because I wasn't exactly ready for it.
That's strange, I've never had such a problem. Glad I could help though

R

Rehk

Reaction score
Sin$
i have ubuntu as my primary and windows 7 on a virtual machine, when u want to run programs start that up and there u go!

dEku

dEku

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
That's strange, I've never had such a problem. Glad I could help though

I thought that I could dual at first too and then it just felt like it shouldn't let me access Windows 7. I had my hard drive partitioned, I really can't remember the specifics or how to say but yeah.

Subzero121800

Subzero121800

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Running a virtual box for windows 7 would be an option but to be completely honest you would be better off using a dual boot system just be very careful how you set it up. If you are able to upgrade your ram i would suggest running a Virtual box which is very easy to use and run.

If your able to get more ram added to your system Oracle Virtual box is a very nice feature.
The only thing that is a downside of sorts is that when running it it uses RAM to run the Virtual box which you would need at least 2-4Gb of ram to run them smoothly since it takes away from your current amount of accessible ram that the non virtual system is able to use. If you can upgrade your ram then start at the link i will provide anything else you need contact me by PM with questions.

Oracle Virtual Box <-------hope this is ok to post but it is easier than copying and pasting allot of information.

As too the dual boot problems I have had issues with different boot loaders getting corrupt which is easy to fix just look up Fixing Linux partition table/Windows partition table or boot sector.
There are many programs out there that can help with fixing these problems. BTW i use Linux Mint 10 right now which is based on Ubuntu 10.** i believe. Linux mint is a very user friendly version of linux in my opinion. I have other distros but I tend to use this one the most and have went completly away from Windows other than for some things that I use a virtual box for of course or Wine which does not work with alot of the programs that I use.

Wheen

Wheen

Bytesexual
Retired
Programmer Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$

Yes. Although, I would recommend setting up an XP or 7 VM with VirtualBox

Yes.

No. You can either use GIMP or a VM. I have not tried it with Wine

Yes, although I would recommend a VM

You can do literally anything you want to Ubuntu

I wouldn't know. I'd suggest using a Windows VM, though

Don't, there are much better alternatives on both Windows and Linux. Each of them can sync music, too

If you mean videos, VLC will play anything

Steam works great with Wine. The only thing is that the auto-snap feature is a little finicky

Isn't Rosetta Stone web based? If so, yes. If not, use a VM

I don't know, I've never had to mount anything. It is most likely included with Ubuntu, though. If not, it is easily available

-I really don't want to lose a lot of my stuff if I feel like switching over, is there any way I can keep most of it without putting it on an external? I don't have one but if I can't, I might be able to borrow someones so I could do the transfer.

You can keep an off-site backup or cloud. You can also dual boot.

I might think of more questions when they pop up. I'll add them later when I think of more. Thank you to anyone and everyone who helps. I'll +rep because I'm really considering switching and if you can list some things that are a plus, that would be cool too. I know some downsides but I want to see what you guys have to say too. Thanks for everything. :smile:

<_< Don't jack the thread <_<

Anyway, It's nice. Sometimes it gets in the way, but you get used to it relatively quickly. It is also incredibly easy to run in a VM, so you did something wrong <_<

Andzrej

AndzrejGFX

Contributor
Hardened Veteran Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$

It depends on the program, wine lists the compatibility of
the programs, with platinum being the best & bronze being the worst.

Yes, much faster.

I don't know off of the top of my head, but last time I checked, CS5 was a silver or gold rating.

I'm not really sure about emulators.

Internet surfing - ubuntu is good. Games- Not really. Image editing - GIMP is supported, not sure how well CS5 works.
Music - Banshee, RythmBox, so good. FTP - good. Flash - good, kicks up sometimes. Netflix - no, not yet :frown:

Yes, unless you find one that's linux native.

Yeah, or you could use Banshee or Rythmbox, both of which are installed as default in ubuntu 11.04.

VLC. It'll play just about anything.

You can try wine, but you'd be better off using windows. Dualboot or virtual os.

See above ^

You can mount / unmount with disk utility, not sure about .ISO's. I'm sure there's a program that's native in linux to mount .ISO's.

If you keep windows and dualboot, you can access your windows files while in linux.

aim = andzrejgfx7s, message me if you have more questions.

psych0t1csupr1s3

Psych0t1cSupp3r

Linux. Superior, period.
Reaction score
Sin$

Yes a lot of programs are supported in WINE. I would say roughly 75%.

You won't be able to go back to your Windows 7 box. It runs 300% faster.

From WINE yes. They have a WINETrick for it.

Yes. Linux has it's own names for them because of GNU licensing etc., but yes they do have emulators for just about everything.

Ubuntu, and all Linux is way more versatile than Windows. It can literally have anything done to it.

If they use the .net framework, then it takes a lot of configuring, but they are supported. Also I would recommend using a virtual machine. PM me if you have problems, and I will TeamView you.

Ubuntu's built in music player is much better than iTunes. You can add songs, delete them, the whole 9 yards.

Linux has support for almost all codecs. VLC is on Ubuntu Software Center, and I've never seen anything that with an update it couldn't run.

Sadly, Steam is not supported in WINE. It is supported however in a virtualmachine

Rosetta Stone used to be mainly videos, so if it's the same as it was a few years back, then yes it's supported.

If you know anything about partitioning, you can make a partition and keep it during the installation, and then retrieve your data, that's what I did.

I know this is an old thread, but I don't feel like anyone gave him very good answers

xILemonHeadIx

xILemonHeadIx

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Having a quick look at what you want from ubuntu I would recommend dual-booting Windows and Ubuntu. I seen a comment of yours which said that you couldn't access Windows when you installed Ubuntu the last time. That could be either because you selected the "use entire drive" option on installation or because of a problem with the master boot loader. Anyway, try installing Ubuntu again and make sure to select "Install side by side" and partition your drive appropriately using the installation tool. If you want to revert to just Windows, all you have to do is run MbrFix on Windows which will fix the MBR to only boot Windows (make sure to add /Win7 at the end of the command), then format your linux partition. NEVER format your linux or windows partition without fixing the MBR first or you could have some serious problems.
I doubt you will want to remove ubuntu once installed as Linux > Windows :smile: I wouldn't recommend only using Ubuntu as it looks like you require a lot of Windows only programs, for example modding tools, some of which won't run in Wine, and others like Photoshop which will not run in Wine.

theDaRKNiGHt

theDaRKNiGHt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
-With W.I.N.E, can I run a lot of programs that are windows based? Just a rough estimate would be fine. You can run some of them depending on what they are & how well there compatibale with WINE, check WINE's website for a compatibility list

-Since I only have 1gb of RAM, will Ubuntu run a lot faster than Windows 7? Yes, Ubuntu(Linux) is a lighter OS than windows by far

-Could I run Photoshop CS5 on Ubuntu? There is no linux version of photoshop and i've never tried it with WINE but if you want go ahead, for ubuntu i recomened you download GIMP from the Ubuntu Software Center

-Could I play Emulators like Project 64, ePSXe, and other emulators for gameboys and such? If they have a linux version or if they work on wine

-How much more versatile is Ubuntu to Windows 7? (I may have used that in the wrong context but I'm hoping whoever can figure it out) I dont get that question sorry

- Every now and again I like to run modding programs for xbox, do I just have to run it in/with W.I.N.E or whatever? Yes unless they have a linux version but i dont think moddio & horizon do.

-I think I saw a way to run iTunes on linux, do I do that just like any other program for windows, with W.I.N.E and such? Yes you would have to use wine to run any windows only program, but i cant guarentee that it will work as good as it does on windows

-Is there a good program that will play any type type of file so I could watch a show? Because I have Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z and I've only found 1 program that will actual play the type of file it is but it is just for windows. I'm guessing the same thing with W.I.N.E? I just want to know, sorry if it's a little repetitive. lol It's a .rmvb file type, BTW. Convert that .rmvb file into a .mp4 & use a ubuntu version of quicktime or try the windows version in WINE

-I have Steam, same thing as above. Unless there is a linux version, I'm not sure. Steam does not have a linux version but on their website they give you instructions on how to set it up in WINE! :biggrin:

-I also want to learn languages with Rosetta Stone and I have that too, same thing as above. If there is a version for linux get it but i suggest WINE

-Do I need to download something to mount ISO's like on Windows with Daemon tools or whatever other program? If so, is there some for linux and what are they? Or could I just download one for Windows and run it in/with W.I.N.E? Im pretty sure Daemon tools has a linux version & if not check MagicISO. But if not WINE is a mans best friend!

-I really don't want to lose a lot of my stuff if I feel like switching over, is there any way I can keep most of it without putting it on an external? I don't have one but if I can't, I might be able to borrow someones so I could do the transfer.You could Dual-Boot your computer like i do. I have Windows & Ubuntu 11.04 running on my laptop. Just google how to dual boot windows & ubuntu and you'll find instructions!

Happy Linux'ing ahahah if you have any more questions feel free to PM me!!

Top Bottom
Login
Register