What's new

Discussion I wish the rank system was like Halo: 2 and 3 again

R

Adamm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I like Halo: Reach, the campaign play was okay, but the online is very annoying and stupid.
I wanted it to be like Halo: 2 or 3 because Halo: Reach doesn't take skill to rank up, in Halo: 2 or 3 you have to earn your rank by playing games and actually winning them, in Halo: Reach it's a case of checkpoint boosting or Gruntpocalypse, and either sitting at the back of a map and going AFK and you still get cR, also I hate cocky people who say s*** to other people in the game just because they're a higher rank, well alls i've got to say to them is you've not got actual skill at the game but alls you have obviously done is Gruntpocalypse or checkpoint boosting to achieve you rank.
Just leave a comment on what you think, if you tend to start an argument over this thread just don't bother commenting.

SharpGhost

SharpGhost

Reach for the Stars
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit Sinner Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
They should've been more innovative with the ranking system in general. Maybe have it so you earn points ONLY by winning a game in real multiplayer matches, however receive a designated amount of points for just participating in the game. But instead of earning credits you just earn progression, I guess.

To buy armory things it should be that you have to complete certain commendations or challenges. I really disagree with the ranking system because it's way too relevant with MW2's ranking system which I disliked also. I bought Reach to get away from COD and Halo 3 which was getting boring.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
I agree it seems as if they toke the easy way out for the online ranking, instead of actually giving us a ranking system that shows skill. Halo 2 was the best online and that's the ranking system reach should've gotten

O

omeganuepsilon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you want a # that proves your skill, play arena a lot.

The problem with Halo 3(never got around to playing Halo 2 online, was too busy drinking and partying when that one came by)..was that it was a system that was highly tamperable, not to mention almost moody because it was so convoluted.

If you're talking about credits and the non-arena playlists. That is not supposed to be representative of skill, it simply unlocks content. It does demonstrate/reward a bit of dedication, no matter a fan's skill, it's why gruntpocalypse exists.(Yes, even boosters(well legit, not these glitching kids that are now suddenly in shock at their bans/resets). A legit booster(or shall we say farmer) show's some amazing dedication because they'll sit for hours bombing sword base, boring as that gets..

Why this reward system instead of achievements? They put one too hard and buggy into Halo 3 for Hyabusa. No one would have been able to randomly figure it out, and duh, the f***ing internet. This way, only dedicated fans will gain high levels/pimpage. It's also why they're reset happy when it comes to glitch abuse. Armor really is a status symbol, because they hold a certain amount of respect for their dedicated fans. The only status however is dedication, not skill. If you see a high rank and automatically think skill, look at this forum. Every whining kid tho thinks his rank or armor matters is here learning to boost.

If you mean Trueskill, so that you have the best competitive matches possible, I'm sure it's still there in some form, just like halo 3 social playlists. I read somewhere that all xbox live games use the same system for seemingly random matching. I know it's a microsoft tool, and that it's highly customizable.

All in all, I like Halo reach better than the others. It's not about penis size, it's about the love and dedication it takes to smack people upside the head with it on a regular basis. Once your penis is of sufficient size to do that, it doesn't matter, of course there's a minimum required, but it's certianly not 27 inches as all these l3g1t 5O's would have you believe.

/rant

R

Adamm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I agree it seems as if they toke the easy way out for the online ranking, instead of actually giving us a ranking system that shows skill. Halo 2 was the best online and that's the ranking system reach should've gotten
I'm glad some people actually agree with me, i'm 16 and I still go school and all the poeple who have only just got Halo: Reach are proper bumming the game and thinks it's the best Halo ever, but if they had actually got Halo 1 and 2 they would know what a proper online game is like that takes skill to play.

T

Tripptallica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
halo 2 was the best. kids now a days are BORN into halo 3 and halo reach and will never know what true halo online gaming is.

cTc

cTc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ewww Halo 3 Rank system.

Always having people b**** about 50's and crying they could not get there 50's, please no.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm glad some people actually agree with me, i'm 16 and I still go school and all the poeple who have only just got Halo: Reach are proper bumming the game and thinks it's the best Halo ever, but if they had actually got Halo 1 and 2 they would know what a proper online game is like that takes skill to play.
+1 to this. im 19 and ive been playing halo since the first one on the original xbox. i loved the first ones campaign, and when halo 2 came out i was a little disappointed by the campaign but the multiplayer was amazing and the ranking system was great (having separate levels for each playlist) halo 3 was fun online, not as great as halo 2 but the ranking system actually worked. having the true skill levels in each playlist was what i loved and having the overall rank worked as well, but being able to get matched with people in team slayer and stuff that were close to the same skill as you was nice, and then having a non-ranked playlist was great.

But with reach its almost like bungie said "screw that" and just gave us one overall rank where you can sit for hours and revert to a save to rank up which is fine, but i dont wanna get matched with people that can sit in single player for days getting commendations. and yes i know there are 2 arena game types, but ummm i want more than that. it would not have been hard to bring back halo 2 or halo 3's ranking system at all.

O

omeganuepsilon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
+1 to this. im 19 and ive been playing halo since the first one on the original xbox. i loved the first ones campaign, and when halo 2 came out i was a little disappointed by the campaign but the multiplayer was amazing and the ranking system was great (having separate levels for each playlist) halo 3 was fun online, not as great as halo 2 but the ranking system actually worked. having the true skill levels in each playlist was what i loved and having the overall rank worked as well, but being able to get matched with people in team slayer and stuff that were close to the same skill as you was nice, and then having a non-ranked playlist was great.

But with reach its almost like bungie said "screw that" and just gave us one overall rank where you can sit for hours and revert to a save to rank up which is fine, but i dont wanna get matched with people that can sit in single player for days getting commendations. and yes i know there are 2 arena game types, but ummm i want more than that. it would not have been hard to bring back halo 2 or halo 3's ranking system at all.

You talk about Halo 3 working. It's social playlists used the very same Trueskill matching that Ranked did, it's just that your number was not visible. I'm betting good money that that's the way Reach is. Not visible, but still there, atleast in some form.

Time will tell. I'm sure they'll go into it after a while about how their matchmaking works. They did every few months for Halo 3, almost to remind people why they failed to get 50's.

Many of you seem to confuse matching ability(IE who it matches us with, a lot of close games, or r*** / rapee) with a published player skill level(a number you can brag about).

Even the "rank", in halo 3 social, was pure over-time accomplishment. Experience in and of itself, was based only on a win, and could be ground out over time. If you'll recall they changed the way it all worked, hell, they even changed the graphics for rank.

I like this system better(A beast player on a losing team will still come away with advancement), though it would have been nice to form some distinction between Multiplayer and then lump firefight/campaign together. As it is, all the high ranks use 7s tips to rank up, so you can't tell who will be a "good player" at all. I'm A-OK with that. I play Halo to play, not brag or rip on the kid who's a high skill of 35 yet still manages to r*** my HS 50 ***.

IMO, judge a person after playing with them. Not by a number next to their name. s*** talking is for the post game lobby, if at all. Halo 3 was terrible with that. Braggarts and a**h***s, and the kid that betrays you for the sniper rifle because he think's he's leet.

They took Halo 1 and it's "everyone can play this" feel, and f***ed it up royally. I think Bungie observed what their game did to people and felt bad because the hyper competitive kids turned it into a terrible experience, and that's why Reach is the way it is.

J

Just2snipE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
that's shocking! I like the new version, no kill stealing cuz you get assist and still get as much credit as if you kill them yourself, no more fake boosters (except for challenge re-setters) that try to pass off a BS 50, but the only thing I wish that changed is armor unlocks. i h8 how you have to become like a rank that bungie isnt even allowing people to be online, but the helmet you want is just sitting in your armory and it says you arent a high enough rank to buy this yet. If i'm not a high enough rank to buy this why the F*CK are you sowing me it??? you still have some pretty good reasons too though.

R

Adamm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
that's shocking! I like the new version, no kill stealing cuz you get assist and still get as much credit as if you kill them yourself, no more fake boosters (except for challenge re-setters) that try to pass off a BS 50, but the only thing I wish that changed is armor unlocks. i h8 how you have to become like a rank that bungie isnt even allowing people to be online, but the helmet you want is just sitting in your armory and it says you arent a high enough rank to buy this yet. If i'm not a high enough rank to buy this why the F*CK are you sowing me it??? you still have some pretty good reasons too though.
Are you serious? No kill stealing? Well for that to be solved go play Rumble Pit and see how many kills get taken off you, it's just like Halo 2 and 3 but no matter what you'll be attacking someone in the game and no doubt a random grenade will come at you and kill both of you.

Top Bottom
Login
Register