What's new

Discussion I want to mod a PSP/VITA

EmeraldX

EmeraldX

Reaction score
Sin$
I have a few questions about modding since my old PSP, which as modded by a friend of a friend has officially died on me (bloated battery and can't hold a charge on the adapter). I am not really planning on using it for PSP games except for on occasions, more for GBA and such.

Questions (and I apologize if these have been answered before):
  1. Which model (PSP/VITA) should I get?
  2. Which is easier to mod?
  3. Should I hard mod or soft mod?
  4. What is the difference between a hard mod and soft mod?
Thanks! Once again I apologize if these have been answered but I looked around and seem to not be able to get a straight answer.

Zelk

Zelk

rip
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Model doesn't matter, they're all modded the same.

3. Should I hard mod or soft mod?
  4. What is the difference between a hard mod and soft mod?
Soft. The difference is that soft modding modifies software while hard modding modifies hardware, so a hardmod requires taking stuff apart and long, pointlessly complicated tinkering.

EmeraldX

EmeraldX

Reaction score
Sin$
Model doesn't matter, they're all modded the same.

Soft. The difference is that soft modding modifies software while hard modding modifies hardware, so a hardmod requires taking stuff apart and long, pointlessly complicated tinkering.

Is there any benefit to hard modding? It seems like many people are against it.

NerdyBits

NerdyBits

Reaction score
Sin$
I would highly advise getting a first edition PSVita as they have a much better, brighter and more colour vibrant OLED screen in them compared to LCD in the 2nd gen models.

The only hard mods I have seen for the vita is a NAND R/W mod (insanely difficult and not exactly appropriate unless you are part of the tightly knit group of vulnerability searchers out there) and the Cobra Black Fin which has received incredibly negative attention within the modding community.

What you are looking for is a unit on firmware 3.60 or below (i believe current firmware is 3.63 with another in between)
On this firmware you will be able to use the "HenKaKu" exploit which simply involves loading a website on the device's built in web browser to trigger a WebKit exploit and install the important base application (VitaShell).

If you have any questions hit me up man :smile:

Top Bottom
Login
Register