• Thread starter SilentJTAG
  • Start date
  • Views 683
SilentJTAG

SilentJTAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Where would I start? All I know is Objective - C so that will not be useful. What language do I start to learn and where to learn how to use the sites databases and stuff?

Y

YYes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just throwing out terminology, not expressing opinion (there are a lot of similar threads already):
Back end: php, asp.net, java server pages, node.js, ruby on rails, drracket web, find one in Obj-C (common servers include: apache, IIS, but you could write your own in any language)
Databases: SQL, core data, write your own
Client-side: JavaScript, flash, java applet
Design: HTML5, CSS, graphic design, photoshop, gimp

Now if you want my opinion, I would say there is no better place to start than with sockets in whatever language you do.

Last edited:
ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Now if you want my opinion, I would say there is no better place to start than with sockets in whatever language you do.

Why sockets? Sockets won't help him make websites. It would help him make a web server even though he'd have to implement his own HTTP protocol for it.

Y

YYes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Why sockets? Sockets won't help him make websites. It would help him make a web server even though he'd have to implement his own HTTP protocol for it.
I think understanding how the protocol works helps people understand how to build a website, structurally. You're right though, it has almost no relevance to creating a website today, for most. Although you can of course get away with making a website knowing nothing but how to use a website (HTML) creator, it all depends on the level of depth you seek.

Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty

Free Sosa #bangbang
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Learn angular.js.

It may be a little confusing at first as you have to throw away everything you know about web development. But you will notice it's a lot like iOS development because it's not web development anymore it's single page web application development. Basically instead of thinking in terms of pages you need to think of controllers and models.

If you really want to learn a cutting edge combination which will have several high paying jobs within the next year or so you should look at:
Node.js (backend)
Mongo db (database, MySQL is still a great option but NoSQL is kind of a buzz word right now in the hipster developer world)
Socket.io (transport layer for interacting with your rest APIs and getting real-time web events)
Angular.js (front end)

Last edited:
Kbho

Kbho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I recommend beginning with html, learning the basics of that before going onto more advanced web development technologies such as php, javascript, asp, sql etc. This way you will slowly develop to make user intuitive websites, that are sleek looking and responsive.

As for programs, generally I use Notepad++, but many use WYSIWYG editors that help you with the backend, and generally just make life easier. Those type of editors work for small sites, but as you get more advanced you will want to program the majority via programming applications (Notepad++ for example)

Const

Const

Übermensch
Reaction score
Sin$
I think understanding how the protocol works helps people understand how to build a website, structurally. You're right though, it has almost no relevance to creating a website today, for most. Although you can of course get away with making a website knowing nothing but how to use a website (HTML) creator, it all depends on the level of depth you seek.
Lets be honest here, if he is just doing the design and none of the back-end (If it's completely static) that would be literally no help. I agree it helps when deploying a real website but for learning the front-end it's not very useful.

Also my preference is to learn how to do front-end first so you don't start writing php and get frustrated when you can't get a table to work right or something really simple.

Y

YYes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Lets be honest here, if he is just doing the design and none of the back-end (If it's completely static) that would be literally no help. I agree it helps when deploying a real website but for learning the front-end it's not very useful.

Also my preference is to learn how to do front-end first so you don't start writing php and get frustrated when you can't get a table to work right or something really simple.
Yeah, that's why I said, if you want my opinion. It would do me good, I don't know about anybody else.

Single

Single

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Honestly, Simplified here,

Basic web page - Basic HTML

Advanced web page - Tons of HTML, CSS, PHP, and ETC.

Just what I've learned off of.

CozmoLobbies

CozmoLobbies

SєƖƖιηg RƓH & JƬAƓ ƇσηѕσƖє'ѕ!
Free Hoster
Reaction score
Sin$
You should try: codecademy.com/

You can learn all basics of html and php over there, also some other code languages.

SnipeLike

SnipeLike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I started with HTML5 & CSS this is the important stuff to create a simple website to learn (my opinion).
Others like php, javascript, mysql are nice to learn after HTML & CSS because there are so nice things possible.

-> I recomend you to lern HTML & CSS first... :wink:

L

LawlessBaron

A myth
Retired
Legendary Veteran Programmer Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
Ebooks and tutorials is the best place to start for this

meetii

meetii

Lads In Black
VIP
Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I recommend starting off by learning HTML5 and CSS3. Once you get the hang of that you can go ahead and use whatever programming language you like. Most people start off with PHP, you could too.

Top Bottom
Login
Register