I Really need some help! :(

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by CrypticAssassin, Feb 1, 2009 with 14 replies and 238 views.

1. CrypticAssassin

CrypticAssassin Newbie

Ratings:
    Ok so I just built a comp from the ground up for the fist time and I am having some serious problems. First, my setup : Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo,OCZ GameXStream 700w Crossfire PSU, Intel quad core Q9300 cpu, 8GB DDR2 667Mhz Samsung RAM(4x2GB sticks), 2 Samsung dvd+r DL Lightscribe drives, 500gb Samsung Sata hdd,512mb Nvidia GeForce Graphics card.I think that covers it.

Here's the problem that I have been trying to fix for over a month. When I insert more than 2 sticks of ram in at a time the comp powers on but won't display any video and I get 3 short beeps and then a pause and then continous short beeps after that until I shut it down. If I boot up with 2 sticks of ram then it takes like three tries to get an OS installed but it will eventually install but get constant errors when trying to install or run programs. If I boot with just 1 stick then I can install an OS on the first try and get no errors when using the comp.

Things I have tried: 3 different PSU's ranging from 400w to 700w, tried all sticks of ram one in at a time to make sure they work and all do and also tried all 4 ram slots and all seem to be working, I have disconnected everything but the bare minimum needed to install an OS, tried 2 different hdds, tried to install multiple 64bit OSes and all give me the same problems. I really need your guys' help! I absolutely have no ideas left as to why this is happening and it's really bumming me out cause it took me a long time to get the monmey to buy this stuff only to find out I suck. haha Thank you in advance for any help. :smile:

2. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    [Click here to view the link]

Those are beep sequences for Phoenix (very bottom of the list), which I believe you have. try and decypher it and you'll have your answer.

Although it sounds like your motherboard is bad... I'd RMA it.

3. itzmeluigi

itzmeluigi Premium Premium

Ratings:
    I would say its a motherboard issue probably somethings wrong with the memory controller. Sometimes motherboards become unstable when inserting more then 2 sticks. If you trying to install vista 64bit and it doesnt let you. install it with 1 2gig stick in, then update to service pack 1 and put the other 2gig stick back in. Over all to me sounds like a motherboard issue see if you can rma it.

4. OP
    CrypticAssassin

CrypticAssassin Newbie

Ratings:
    Thanks for your replies guys! Ok so I should buy a new mobo? I should also mention that in the manual it says that the continuous short beeps are a power issue but it doesn't give any specifics and I also forgot to mention that if I remove the hdd and boot with all four sticks then the beeps go away but I get no video.

@DaRkxFaDeD- using one stick is the only way I CAN get an OS installed without any problems but it still doesn't fix the issue with multiple ram sticks. I'm also beginning to think that it is the mobo as it's the one thing that I haven't replaced yet. If you guys could please give me a link to a good mobo that you think will be able to support all 4 sticks and also be compatible with the rest of my hardware I will really appreciate it. Thanks again guys.

5. Nightcast

Nightcast Retired Retired

Ratings:
    After you installed did you try putting the rest of the sticks back in to see if it worked?

6. OP
    CrypticAssassin

CrypticAssassin Newbie

Ratings:
    Yes and still nothing. I did however just find out that I can run 3 sticks if I have a stick in slots 1,3,and 4. but if I try 3 with a stick in 2 then just beeps.

7. Nightcast

Nightcast Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Can you link me to the ram you bought.

8. OP
    CrypticAssassin

CrypticAssassin Newbie

Ratings:
    I can't give you a link to the exact ones I bought because I bought them on ebay a long time ago so the listing is removed but they are Samsung 2GB pc5400 DDR2 667Mhz. I'm trying to find a good link so you can get a look at some more specific specs.

[Click here to view the link] is the closest I can find. Sorry for the double post. can't seem to find the edit button. :smile:

*bump* Anyone?!

9. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    You have a defective motherboard.

1) Exchange your motherboard for a new one.
    or
    2) Make due with only using the slots that work.

10. OP
    CrypticAssassin

CrypticAssassin Newbie

Ratings:

Ok well given my setup can you recommend a good compatible mobo for me? Also how can you be for sure that it's the mobo? I would hate to buy a new mobo and find out its the ram. I already replaced the PSU thinking it was the problem. Thanks for your reply by the way!:smile:

11. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    This should work fine for you. [Click here to view the link]
    ^ This is why it's your motherboard.

12. OP
    CrypticAssassin

CrypticAssassin Newbie

Ratings:
    Thanks for the reply piece man and thanks for taking the time to find me a suitable mobo! :thumbup: However I don't think that I will be going with gigabyte because the amount of people complaining on the net about getting gigabyte boards DOA are immense! Do you have any recommendations for an Asus board? Can be up to $200 but looking for something obviously compatible with my stuff but also with atleast 2 pci slots? Sorry I'm not asking anyone to do my research for me but as many bad parts as I've boughten now it would be nice for some input! Thanks

13. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    No problem, but you've got to remember that for every bad review, there's hundreds more that have no problems. That's the glory of the internet.. People have an open platform to air their problems, and the bad reviews get more attention(for obvious reasons). But if you are looking for an Asus board, check out
    or

Both will work for your setup :wink:

14. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    I myself have a Gigabyte mobo, and have used them in many builds for friends... No problems as of yet.

15. OP
    CrypticAssassin

CrypticAssassin Newbie

Ratings:
    Hey sweet! Thanks again pieceman! I just bought the top one so as soon as I get it I'll let you guys know what happens. God I hope everything works!