What's new

Solved I need some help "Open Tray" error on Phat XBOX 360 (a bit different though)

• Thread starter bmizzle
  • Start date
  • Views 1,090
B

bmizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I'm new the to forum and your first impression would be "Why didn't you search the forum, this has already been answered 100times" Well .. that's not the case on my 360 drive issue. I've read all the tutorials and try all the logical ones to no availability.

This xbox I'm working on now is actually mine, it's an old phat model w/ hdmi port. Of course it has the Phillips Lite-ON #15D2S - Bummer.

One thing I've noticed about the drive is that it makes no "clicking" noises when you manually move the laser back/forth. The laser does move back and forth though, on it's on when it's powered. The spindle spins, the worm motor works, no gears are broken. The lens, when you open/close the drive it'll blink red once and then a second later blink red again - basically like it's trying to read the disc. When a disc is in it, you can hear it spinning and spinning and spinning and it's like the xbox is trying really hard to read the disc but just can't make it happen. After about 1 minute or so of trying, the disc will stop and on the screen it'll say "Open Tray".

Can anyone please shine some light on this? If you need pictuers/videos/whatever you need, I can make it happen! LOL I've been messing with this thing for about 2 weeks now. :frown:

Thanks in advance and I hope all yal' have a great and blessed day.

P

Pray For Blood

"Can you hear the thunder that's breaking?"
Premium
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I'm new the to forum and your first impression would be "Why didn't you search the forum, this has already been answered 100times" Well .. that's not the case on my 360 drive issue. I've read all the tutorials and try all the logical ones to no availability.

This xbox I'm working on now is actually mine, it's an old phat model w/ hdmi port. Of course it has the Phillips Lite-ON #15D2S - Bummer.

One thing I've noticed about the drive is that it makes no "clicking" noises when you manually move the laser back/forth. The laser does move back and forth though, on it's on when it's powered. The spindle spins, the worm motor works, no gears are broken. The lens, when you open/close the drive it'll blink red once and then a second later blink red again - basically like it's trying to read the disc. When a disc is in it, you can hear it spinning and spinning and spinning and it's like the xbox is trying really hard to read the disc but just can't make it happen. After about 1 minute or so of trying, the disc will stop and on the screen it'll say "Open Tray".

Can anyone please shine some light on this? If you need pictuers/videos/whatever you need, I can make it happen! LOL I've been messing with this thing for about 2 weeks now. :frown:

Thanks in advance and I hope all yal' have a great and blessed day.
My best guess is the quality of the laser/reader has finally reached the point where it doesn't work anymore.

B

bmizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll test it out, I've got another laser that I'll switch it out with. Thanks for the quick reply! I'll let ya' know if that was the problem.

T

The Coon

I just lick clits and make memes bro ~ KoMa
Reaction score
I'll test it out, I've got another laser that I'll switch it out with. Thanks for the quick reply! I'll let ya' know if that was the problem.
Google how to pot tweak a Lite-on drive. that should fix it. If no the laser is infact dead.

B

bmizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I tried the pot tweak, with no results. I've ordered a laser and didn't even try the other laser that i got (that I know works) lol because I'm going to take your word for it, I believe it's just shot it's load. Tell me this though, why does the laser still shine bright red when you close the tray? When you close the tray (regardless if you insert a game) the dvd drive laser will blink red, move forward a tad (spindle spins) and then it'll shine again. If a laser is shot, is it possible that the light will still work but it just won't read discs? Just a wonder .. not a needed answer but I would like to know for future reference. Thanks in advance and I really appreciate all your comments!!!

B

bmizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to update after I received the new laser. DIDN'T WORK!!!

So I took another Lite-On drive that I had and set them side by side. Looking for physical differences. Well there was only one thing I noticed. The one laser in the lite-on drive that worked was about 1/3" closer to the dvd drive tray. Well I got to looking on HOW it was closer than the other one, considering all I did was just replace a laser that I thought was bad and put every screw back in it that I had taken out. Well the xbox 360 that I was working on was gave to me because I sold a woman one for her son since his had gone bad. She brought the thing to me in a bag and a box, screws everywhere (missing) faceplate missing, etc .. but she did bring a hard drive! :smile: << always a plus! Well come to find out, I should have known ... the kid had taken some screws out of the dvd-drive. The screws that hold the laser up close enough to the disc to read it!!!! I was like, are you kidding me? So I got me some screws and copied the lite-on drive that I had that worked (the placement of the laser - which is about 2mm under the tray) and bad a bing, bad a boom ... it worked on the first try. So after replacing the worm motor, laser, and plastic gear .... it was 3 screws that I had laying around the house! Not to mention that the laser I received was the same laser I had in an old IDE-phillips burner that was practically brand spanking new ... so yes, a waist of 30 bucks! BUT THEN AGAIN, I LOVE LEARNING!!! $30 isn't nothing from the knowledge I'll take from this experience. Now the only thing I've got is it gives an E66 error when I try to play newer games, cod:bo2, prototype 2, etc ... I'm assuming the xbox is either modded or something is going on .. it'll allow you to play older games and any movie just not any newer legit games. I'm going to have to get me a couple d-l dvd's and see if this thing is modded. Is there anyway to tell besides just burning a game and sticking it in? Thanks to everyone that has replied and tried to help ... I'm someone that gets frustrated quick but then again I don't let it get to me because I know every machine was built by man and can be fixed by man ... I take pride in what I do and I enjoy asking a great community for help when needed. THANKS ALOT GUYS, I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!! If yal' have any light to shed on that E66, I'd appreciate it! Take care and have a good night! Thanks again!!! WHOO HOOO w00t w00t lol

Top Bottom