What's new

Solved I need help with reading the nand on a Xbox 360 Slim Corona 16mb. (I burned a contact out)

TheEpicBean

TheEpicBean

Reaction score
Sin$
Well, what can I say. I burned the point on the board for the black wire to flash the nand. There is no way you can attach more solder on the spot and there is a clear hole on for the spot. Is there anyway I could still flash the nand, as in splicing the trace and soldering directly to there on the back of the board, or on the front. I don't have any clue what to do. I am very much a newbie, so please help however and with the most information as you have.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Mod edit:
No true fix was found. OP damaged the board and decided it was to be a practice board for future endeavors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Scaling the Mountain Beginning of An Odyssey Bright Idea
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
jr programmer with a ace v3
Ah JR programmer. I hate those because of my most recent adventure. Mine got stuck in boot loader mode, took 3hrs to figure out how to fix because team executors site is offline. Let me know if you get stuck with a red light on on it.

TheEpicBean

TheEpicBean

Reaction score
Sin$
Ah JR programmer. I hate those because of my most recent adventure. Mine got stuck in boot loader mode, took 3hrs to figure out how to fix because team executors site is offline. Let me know if you get stuck with a red light on on it.
I wil and I think I figured it out by flipping the switch and resetiing it, impugning it and flipping the switch and plugging it back in. I also cannot get any solder to stick

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I wil and I think I figured it out by flipping the switch and resetiing it, impugning it and flipping the switch and plugging it back in. I also cannot get any solder to stick
No solder is sticking to the pad? Even with tons of flux? If so, then go for a trace.
Gently scrape the top green PCB off (I used a super small knife) you don’t want to cut the copper trace but give it a haircut in essence.
then you should be able to solder to the trace. I can’t tell you where the trace is exactly, but a magnifying glass and a bright light you’ll be able to see it. It must go directly to the point you’re having issues with, try to get as close as possible but 1-2” shouldn’t really hurt anything.

TheEpicBean

TheEpicBean

Reaction score
Sin$
No solder is sticking to the pad? Even with tons of flux? If so, then go for a trace.
Gently scrape the top green PCB off (I used a super small knife) you don’t want to cut the copper trace but give it a haircut in essence.
then you should be able to solder to the trace. I can’t tell you where the trace is exactly, but a magnifying glass and a bright light you’ll be able to see it. It must go directly to the point you’re having issues with, try to get as close as possible but 1-2” shouldn’t really hurt anything.
I’ve got a dental pick, will that work?

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I’ve got a dental pick, will that work?
I would suggest a blade, though a pick might work.
I personally used my fiberglass pen - amazon has em cheap (just looked) with prime shipping available - worked well without fear of cutting the trace in half

TheEpicBean

TheEpicBean

Reaction score
Sin$
I would suggest a blade, though a pick might work.
I personally used my fiberglass pen - amazon has em cheap (just looked) with prime shipping available - worked well without fear of cutting the trace in half
Aight I may buy the pen then, also do you have any tips on how to remove some flux. Mines hardened

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Aight I may buy the pen then, also do you have any tips on how to remove some flux. Mines hardened
Try some rubbing alcohol onna Qtip, if that doesn’t work, heat it up slightly using a hairdryer then rubbing alcohol on a QTIP

TheEpicBean

TheEpicBean

Reaction score
Sin$
Try some rubbing alcohol onna Qtip, if that doesn’t work, heat it up slightly using a hairdryer then rubbing alcohol on a QTIP
will do, i will try. Thanks for all the help.
Post automatically merged:

still aint sticking. I may buy a new mobo and fix this project up. Regardless thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
will do, i will try. Thanks for all the help.

still aint sticking. I may buy a new mobo and fix this project up. Regardless thanks for the help!
If it isn’t sticking you just didn’t scrape enough off the trace. The trace you can get a bit hotter than a pad, not much but a bit.

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, I got a little amount to stick, not enough to get it to stick on the wire though
That’s how it starts, trace repairing is very difficult. If you’re going to get another motherboard, use that one as a test. Try various heat settings maybe different solder and solder tips :smile:
Or if you want to keep trying to repair that one, just carefully scrape more and more of the green off around thay point you got some stick.

When I was repairing a trace, I would get a nice dollop on the wire itself after I found a good spot on the trace. I would put the wire on the part of the trace that took the solder then gently press down with the tip of the iron so it melted the solder on the wire onto the trace and would hold it there until it cooled off and solidified again. It’s not the best method but it worked.

TheEpicBean

TheEpicBean

Reaction score
Sin$
That’s how it starts, trace repairing is very difficult. If you’re going to get another motherboard, use that one as a test. Try various heat settings maybe different solder and solder tips :smile:
Or if you want to keep trying to repair that one, just carefully scrape more and more of the green off around thay point you got some stick.

When I was repairing a trace, I would get a nice dollop on the wire itself after I found a good spot on the trace. I would put the wire on the part of the trace that took the solder then gently press down with the tip of the iron so it melted the solder on the wire onto the trace and would hold it there until it cooled off and solidified again. It’s not the best method but it worked.
Okay well, I’ll revise the headache of the board I have.

I broke the trace ? practice board it is, thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register