I need a Recording EXPERT!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by Madman340, Jan 7, 2009 with 14 replies and 247 views.

1. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Alright. I'm pretty frustrated trying to get this stupid Pinnacle thing to work...
    My only purpose for this is to record Xbox 360 gameplay.

EDIT: my 8600GTS has a S-Video input, can I use this?

This is what I need help with:

I have a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick 801e.
    [​IMG]

I need it to display on both my computer screen (VGA and DVI) and in the software that records it.

Of course, everything needs to be around the capture card so that I can actually record it.

[​IMG]

What all do I need to make this work?

PS: what is the best recording software? Everything they send with these pinnacle things are complete ****.

2. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    If you can get virtual dub to work, that's the best "capturing program".

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Madman340

Ratings:
    It wasn't finding my video source when I tried it earlier... Once I get everything needed to make the set-up I want (above) I'll naturally take a peak at it again and try to get it working.

4. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    Can you take a pic of the device, plus the cables it comes with?

5. OP
    Madman340

Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the last picture it is this in order:

Composite Video (RCA) ---- Stereo Audio --------- S-Video

6. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    That would be mono audio not stereo, since it only has one audio input.

Are you sure that you can even connect a xbox 360 to this? I'm sure its possible but you wont get very good audio.

7. OP
    Madman340

Ratings:
    It says stereo audio in the little pamphlet it came with.

Yes, I can connect the yellow (video) 360 wire to the composite end.

The only problem is it is super laggy when I play through the preview screen.
    ^
    my problem

Cmon people... How can I play this without a laggy preview screen? How can I display it through both my monitor (360 VGA connection) and still allow my capture card to record it?

8. Scare Croe

Scare Croe Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Lol, I have this problem with mine, Fortunatley My Box runs to my TV so the Problem is much easier to fix.

My first question is this, When you Play your box on the Monitor do you use VGA or DVI?

My second question is do you use some sort of adapter to go from RCA to VGA for your Video or what?

9. OP
    Madman340

Ratings:
    Answere'd Q1 in the post above; it's VGA.

I use the 360 VGA cable, instead of the regular RCA/Composite cables.

[​IMG]

10. Scare Croe

Ratings:
    well then, I dont think your Solution will be a cheap one. the only way i can see to get this to work is by using the Original, RCA Caples that come standard with the Xbox 360. You will need to buy a "Female to Male Y Splitter" for your Video RCA, and then an "RCA to VGA" adapter.

You would then Use the RCA Y Adapter to go from your Xbox's Video RCA, Essentially making 2 Video Output RCA's. You would hook one of the 2 Video RCA's into your Cap Card, then you would take the remaining VideoRCA and Connect the "RCA to VGA" adapter to it, then hook the VGA end of the "RCA to VGA" adapter into your Monitor. Viola! you will still have Lag on your Cap Card but not on your Monitor, the lag on the Cap Card wont matter tho, when you play it back it will be fine.

I priced what I could and I found an "RCA to VGA" Adapter for like $70.00 USD. I would just use your TV if you can and instead of going from RCA to "RCA to VGA adapter" go from RCA to TV. other than that I dont know what to tell ya.
    Hope it helps :thumbup:

11. OP
    Madman340

Ratings:
    Can I get this
    [Click here to view the link]

Plug the male VGA side into my monitor

Get an rca splitter, plug into the female rca side of the above thing
    plug both cap card (via double sided rca cord) and xbox rca cables into the splitter

voila?

Here's a pic for you, I'm pretty sure this should work.

[​IMG]

Of course, between the vga male and the wires would be a rca splitter

12. Scare Croe

Ratings:
    I'm not 100% but I dont think that will help you, it will still not come up on your Monitor.

13. OP
    Madman340

Ratings:
    Did you see the picture? I updated when you posted I think.

14. Scare Croe

Ratings:
    yeah, I saw after I posted. I think if you had an "RCA Y Splitter" go from the Xbox Video RCA, then one of the Video RCA's to the VGA Male end and the Other Video RCA to the Capture card, it will work.

15. OP
    Madman340

Ratings:
    Alright, well I'm going to go to Radioshack to pick up those things tomorrow, and tell you if it works.

Although they may not have a VGA to RCA adapter, so I may need to order that online.

Alright I got the splitter, and they didn't have a VGA RCA adapter so I just moved my huge *** tube tv into my room... Now I'm trying to use VirtualDub to record, but it doesn't list any recording devices.

Halp? Add me on MSN Jaredrainman@msn.com