What's new

I Need a New Game to Play

goss34

goss34

Shodan's Insect
Reaction score
Sin$
So I finished playing through the game >observer_ about two months ago and in that timeline I've been searching relentlessly for a game of that caliber and storytelling. I have very specific likeness to certain topics or details that have made it very hard to find a new game to play. My favorite genre is pretty spread out, but specific enough to made it hard to find games. Here's a list of games in the genres that I like:
  • >observer_ (Cyberpunk, psychological horror, atmospheric, walking simulator)
  • Alien:Isolation (Survival horror, atmospheric)
  • SOMA (Psychological horror, walking simulator, atmospheric)
  • System Shock 2 (RPG, survival horror, cyberpunk)
  • Narcosis (Horror, walking simulator)
For the record, I have played games such as Deus Ex and Dead Space and both were either very unappealing, boring or flat out predictable. I wish you good luck because I have tried many times to look for similar games but with no avail. I also particularly like and value indie games as well.

Sobriquet

Sobriquet

Banned
Retired
Bright Idea End of the Year 2014 Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
So I finished playing through the game >observer_ about two months ago and in that timeline I've been searching relentlessly for a game of that caliber and storytelling. I have very specific likeness to certain topics or details that have made it very hard to find a new game to play. My favorite genre is pretty spread out, but specific enough to made it hard to find games. Here's a list of games in the genres that I like:
For the record, I have played games such as Deus Ex and Dead Space and both were either very unappealing, boring or flat out predictable. I wish you good luck because I have tried many times to look for similar games but with no avail. I also particularly like and value indie games as well.
If you like walking simulators you need to play "The Stanley Parable" and "What Remains of Edith Finch"

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Sanitarium
Call of Cthulu: Dark corners of the earth

i have no mouth, and i must scream

Christiennnnnnn

Christiennnnnnn

Reaction score
Sin$
Here are two games that I believe might fit in:

Outlast:

Resident Evil 7:

Those two games are pretty scary, i've played them myself. :smile: Have a nice day!

505_

505_

"Milkshake?"
Reaction score
Sin$
I believe warframe might help.

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Also, you should try penumbra series, because it was made by creators of SOMA.

goss34

goss34

Shodan's Insect
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for all of your replies and I appreciate your help. Although many of the games suggested are heavily focused on only one genre instead of a mix which is what I'm looking for. For example Outlast is purely just horror and nothing else, the same goes for RE7. I do plan to look at I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, that does look pretty interesting. Overall I still value all of your replies, thank you very much!

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Mythical Veteran Trifecta TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Sanitarium
Severely underrated!
System Shock 2 (RPG, survival horror, cyberpunk)
If you liked System Shock, try out BioShock if you haven't already. I'd also highly recommend the second game. Infinite is not as good. Too much action, not enough RPG or Horror elements.
For example Outlast is purely just horror and nothing else, the same goes for RE7
RE7 is definitely more survival horror whereas Outlast is more about trial and error and jump-scares. Try The Evil Within (combination of survival horror and RPG). It is a surprisingly challenging game and the story is intriguing but a bit hard to follow. The Evil Within 2 keeps up the combination of survival horror and RPG, but ramps up the psychological horror. It basically is RE4 combined with Silent Hill 2 and TLoU. It also does a much better job explaining the story.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
Last game I really got into was Oxygen Not Included. Survival/strategy type game. Can become a bit addicting, though. :biggrin:

Clepto

Clepto

Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
This game is somewhat linear but if you enjoy horror it’s one of the best I’ve played.

Nightmare House 2 which is a total conversion mod for Half Life 2 so you’ll need to own that on Steam to play it. But it’s free, typically only takes a few hours to finish but is well worth it in my opinion.

Also Outlast was pretty enjoyable.

goss34

goss34

Shodan's Insect
Reaction score
Sin$
This game is somewhat linear but if you enjoy horror it’s one of the best I’ve played.

Nightmare House 2 which is a total conversion mod for Half Life 2 so you’ll need to own that on Steam to play it. But it’s free, typically only takes a few hours to finish but is well worth it in my opinion.

Also Outlast was pretty enjoyable.
I've played some of NH2, I don't really understand the story or what direction the game is trying to head in, but overall the mod is very well made and enjoyable.

E

Ephemeral

Memento Mori
Reaction score
Sin$
I've played some of NH2, I don't really understand the story or what direction the game is trying to head in, but overall the mod is very well made and enjoyable.
Kinda just gonna throw a game in cause why not, scp containment breach. it's very interesting and fun.

GrayRat

GrayRat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You need to play Fortnite BR to widen your horizons. But if you are looking for a game in the Survival Horror genre then I'll suggest that you play The Evil Within 1 & 2. Its from the original maker of RE and RE 4.

Last edited:
KnightWill2

KnightWill2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Give 'Layers of Fear' a try, its on steam.

The review are very positive. The titles has also won some of the following awards

Gamer's Voice Nominee - SXSW 2016
Best Gameplay Nominee - Game Access 2016
Game Village Nominee - GameDev Days Talinn 2016
Indie Prize Nominee - Casual Connect Tel Aviv 2015

Copied the following from STEAM
ABOUT THIS GAME

You take another drink as the canvas looms in front of you. A light flickers dimly in the corner. You’ve created countless pieces of art, but never anything like…this. Why haven’t you done this before? It seems so obvious in retrospect. Your friends, critics, business partners—soon, they’ll all see. But something’s still missing…

You look up, startled. That melody… Was that a piano? It sounded just like her… But, no—that would be impossible. She’s gone. They’re all gone.
Have to focus. How long has it taken to get to this point? Too long, but it doesn’t matter. There will be no more distractions. It’s almost finished. You can feel it. Your creation. Your Magnum Opus.

Dare you help paint a true Masterpiece of Fear? Layers of Fear is a first-person psychedelic horror game with a heavy focus on story and exploration. Delve deep into the mind of an insane painter and discover the secret of his madness, as you walk through a vast and constantly changing Victorian-era mansion. Uncover the visions, fears and horrors that entwine the painter and finish the masterpiece he has strived so long to create.

Game Features:
• Psychedelic horror – A sense of insanity means each turn of the camera may completely change the look of your surroundings.
• Victorian setting – Explore a game world inspired by masterpiece paintings, architecture and décor from the 19th century.
• Original and classic art – Numerous pieces of original art and music flesh out the story and environment.
• Story-focused exploration – Only through exploring the environment can you uncover the details of the painter’s dark and tragic past.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Windows
Mac OS X
SteamOS + Linux

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q8400
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB / Radeon R7 250X 1GB
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 5 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: Supported Gamepads: Microsoft Xbox 360 Games for Windows (Wired), Microsoft Xbox One Controller (Wired), Sony PS4 DualShock 4 controller (wired), Steam Controller

Frank

Frank

se7en *clap* sins *clap* review
Retired
Sweet Sixteen! Pumpking Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
One game everyone should play Runescape. By far the best humour, goals, story, community, adaptability, originality the list can go on. I mean any version of Runescape as well.

Top Bottom
Login
Register