What's new

I moved something and my PC won't start.. HELP!

• Thread starter Novaa
  • Start date
  • Views 439
Status
Not open for further replies.
Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Experienced Veteran Hardened Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Well a few days ago I downloaded Avast because I got infected. So I did a boot scan and clicked "Move all to chest" the PC restarted, it got to the Windows users log in bit, I clicked 'log in' and it'll just log me back out straight away. I've tried going into safe mode, but all I get is a black screen. I can't do a system restore because I only installed the OS a few days back and didn't create a restore point. I can't put the disc into the PC because I didn't install the OS by a disc, I installed it by clicking the .exe file.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I can't think of anything :/ I've tried going into the boot menu etc.. and nothing will fix it :/

RebornYew

RebornYew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'll try and figure it out for you, I'll post back soon.

EDIT: When you log in and it kicks you off, does the computer reboot or are you at the log in screen?

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
I'll try and figure it out for you, I'll post back soon.

EDIT: When you log in and it kicks you off, does the computer reboot or are you at the log in screen?
It goes back to the log in screen and cheers btw.

RebornYew

RebornYew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright, I have looked on quite a few sites, but can only find one real answer that will work. It seems you'll have to connect your computer to another (working) computer. If you can do that then follow these steps:

1. Connect the infected computer to a network which has at least one healthy computer connected. Power on both of the computers.

2. From the healthy computer, Go to Start > Run, type regedit.exe and press enter. This will launch the registry editor.

3. Go to File > Connect Network Registry, by using this infected computer’s name or IP address.

4. Locate this entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

5. At this entry there is a key names userinit, double click on the key and set its value to “C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,“

Exit the registry editor, restart the infected computer. This is it. This will work for most of the computers.

Taken from Here.

If that doesn't solve your problem, let me know. I'll try my very best to help you again.

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright, I have looked on quite a few sites, but can only find one real answer that will work. It seems you'll have to connect your computer to another (working) computer. If you can do that then follow these steps:

1. Connect the infected computer to a network which has at least one healthy computer connected. Power on both of the computers.

2. From the healthy computer, Go to Start > Run, type regedit.exe and press enter. This will launch the registry editor.

3. Go to File > Connect Network Registry, by using this infected computer’s name or IP address.

4. Locate this entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

5. At this entry there is a key names userinit, double click on the key and set its value to “C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,“

Exit the registry editor, restart the infected computer. This is it. This will work for most of the computers.

Taken from Here.

If that doesn't solve your problem, let me know. I'll try my very best to help you again.
Cheers mate, but erm, how do I find out what my PC (infected one) name is?

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Right, I've found out my PC name, but, when I try to connect to it, it says 'cannot connect, make sure you have administrator permissions to connect to the computer'

Any ideas?

BL4CKXHAWK

BL4CKXHAWK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Download Microsoft security Essentials.. It is lightweight and finds almost every kind of infection you may get.

In the future, When you install the OS, Install all your drivers and stuff and then create a Restore Point called "Safe Point" or something so you have a good restore if you need it.

E

edgareatis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
hit F8 while it is starting. Now goto safemode with networking. Try to login on ur admin account. Now try RebornYew's way of fixing it. If you don't know your admin password boot into safemode with command prompt and type net user administrator PASSWORD. Replace password with the password you want. Thank me if i helped :tongue:

RebornYew

RebornYew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
He can't really download anything because he's unable to log in. He also said that he hadn't had enough time to create a safe point. Try out Edgareatis's idea for your networking issue, if it won't work just post back. :smile:

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Download Microsoft security Essentials.. It is lightweight and finds almost every kind of infection you may get.

In the future, When you install the OS, Install all your drivers and stuff and then create a Restore Point called "Safe Point" or something so you have a good restore if you need it.
How would I do that? I can't access anything on my account (on the infected PC) I'm also admin so I know the password lol.

To the person who's sayin go into safemode, I can't go into safe mode.

J

Jay

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Lol hate to break it to you but you screwed the OS. If you get a black screen when you try to load Safe Mode then critical files are missing.

It sounds like your going to have to reformat since this is more than just a registry problem. Get on another computer and burn a copy of an OS, always have a hard copy of an OS or stuff like this will happen. (Don't trust restore points)

This is just personal preference but I'd stay away from Avast if I were you. I don't like how that software worked at all. ZoneAlarm has always been reliable. Oh and next time don't get a virus AND then install AV software. It's suppose to be the other way around.

1. Reformat
2. Install drivers
3. Windows Update
4. Install Firewall/antivirus software
5. Install all your programs and crap

Atleast that's how I do it.

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
:frown: oh what? Well I'll go burn a new copy.. probably get Vista this time :smile:

V

Vorkyone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Try booting in debugging mode to fix it. Disables BIOS.

J

Jay

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Try booting in debugging mode to fix it. Disables BIOS.

:blink:

If you disabled the BIOS the computer wouldn't even start... Upon pressing the start button a signal is sent to the BIOS. Where the computer then goes throw it's first and second POSTs (Power On Self Test). Then control is switched over to the MBR (Master Boot Record) Which looks for a operating system to load. Once it's found an OS it loads it in whatever mode you specify.

All debugging mode does is send debug information to another computer that is hooked up through a serial cable so in the event that the computer won't load/has errors you can go over to the PC that it's hooked up and try to troubleshoot the problem. Debug mode does not disable the BIOS.

Novaa

Novaa

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, I installed Windows XP, what a fail that was, I installed it, then none of the drivers worked. That made me mad, so then I got Windows 7 again, but this time I have a copy of it :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register