• Start date
  • Views 373
Status
Not open for further replies.
davey boy

davey boy

Reaction score
Sin$
I was doing a system restore because of some problems that had recently developed that I couldn't fix otherwise and my computer shut down before it was completed. Now when I turn it on, the screen is black and it doesn't read any boot-able disks/USB's. I was running vista prior to this, and I don't care a whole lot about any of the data I've lost. I just need a working laptop for school and I have no money. I was on another forum dedicated to computer hacking and the like, and they all told me to just make a linux livecd and then save my stuff and re-install windows after. But as I said, I can't get the cd/USB to work (on that computer). It works fine on my parents' desktop.  Does anyone here have any ideas?

C

ColdEmbrace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well even with a "bricked" laptop it wouldnt stop USB/CD from booting up. Check in your BIOS to see if access to CD/USB booting is enabled

davey boy

davey boy

Reaction score
Sin$
Well even with a "bricked" laptop it wouldnt stop USB/CD from booting up. Check in your BIOS to see if access to CD/USB booting is enabled

I couldn't when I had posted this, the screen was just black and gave no response at all. I have no idea why but on the 5th or 6th try of the night i started it up, hit F8 after the fan started, and it went into safe mode; all other times absolutely nothing happened. Now I'm just doing a system recovery and have it all sorted out, I think. Thanks though!

it turns on, correct?

I suck at reading and missed this post, but yeah, it turned on. All that happened though was the keyboard lit up and the fan turned on. I am rather curious why getting into safe-mode only worked after a few tries though, because thats the only time in 3 days the thing responded to anything I did to it at all.

C

ColdEmbrace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well I am glad you have fixed your laptop I corrupted mine twice in a the same day removing programs i didnt need

davey boy

davey boy

Reaction score
Sin$
Well I am glad you have fixed your laptop I corrupted mine twice in a the same day removing programs i didnt need

That sucks. maybe I didn't fix it, all my programs still seem to just become unresponsive as soon as I try to use them and my task bar does nothing when I click it. Shoot, maybe I'll just switch to XP or Linux. Here is my original post on this from before this whole issue, if anyone has any ideas other than what they said?

hellboundhackers.org

C

ColdEmbrace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'd go with a Live CD to backup and then format probably your best option. Unless you remember when the error occured first and restore to before that.

davey boy

davey boy

Reaction score
Sin$
I'd go with a Live CD to backup and then format probably your best option. Unless you remember when the error occured first and restore to before that.
I did the restore because this problem is less than a week old, and nothing changed. I think I might just try my hand at Linux since I have all the data I need off the laptop. 

C

ColdEmbrace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I did the restore because this problem is less than a week old, and nothing changed. I think I might just try my hand at Linux since I have all the data I need off the laptop. 

If you are more used to Windows try Kubuntu but if you are willing to experience something new go with Ubuntu

davey boy

davey boy

Reaction score
Sin$
If you are more used to Windows try Kubuntu but if you are willing to experience something new go with Ubuntu

I have Ubuntu on a flash drive now, and I am just messing with it a little before bed. It seems a lot like a mac to me, I don't think it should but i guess i have no idea. I didn't look that much into it but I couldn't get wifi set up on it. I more just glanced at it and thought I have no idea how to do that.

C

ColdEmbrace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Is it a hidden wireless connection because they can be hard to set up, thats the only reason im not using Linux

davey boy

davey boy

Reaction score
Sin$
Is it a hidden wireless connection because they can be hard to set up, thats the only reason im not using Linux

No, but i couldn't find anywhere to scan for networks or something similar. I didn't look that hard though.

davey boy

davey boy

Reaction score
Sin$
you click the wireless icon top right

my wifi network isn't showing up when i do that, and I can't even connect if I just hard-line to my router. I think I need to download a driver for my wifi to work, but I can't get connected at all to be able to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register