• Thread starter The_Notorious_BIG
  • Start date
  • Views 338
The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$
For a while, I had a mix of Ubuntu and Windows 8 dual booted togeather. But today on Ubuntu, I had an update that was about 700kb (lol, or something). I downloaded it, and it said that everything was all good. It told me to restart my PC, which I did.

When I rebooted my PC, Ubuntu was ****ed up, and I think that was because I used a MAC OSX skin on it, because everywhere where there is suppose to be a skin, like on the top of applications, side bars and all that were gone (so it was to do with some kind of misconfigureation with the skin I was using, along with the fonts maybe?)

Amyway, this isn't the reason why I'm posing in the Microsoft section. I know that Ubuntu uses such a thing called a GRUB menu, which is where the user decides what OS they desire to boot onto.

My Ubuntu was broken more or less; I couldnt go into recovery mode, as that was just the same as the normal Ubuntu. I tried everything in my power to restore it back, but nothing was working. So, I went onto Windows and just formatted the partition, and then I was like "ohhhhh lord". I just deleted the GRUB menu, which is what's needed for me to get into Windows too.

So, I had to figure out how to get the Windows 8 boot loader back, as thats whats needed for me to just boot into Windows.

Now, I could have just gone and reinstalled Ubuntu, but it would appear that I didn't have a USB with Ubuntu on, AND the Windows Recovery disc would not display advanced start up options. I Googled it, and found that more or less everyone else had the option to do such a thing. And if I could go into advanced options, I could then go into safe mode and make myself a new bootable USB.

So, my first question is:
Why did I know have the option to boot into the advanced booting section.

The next problem I shortley encounterd, was that F8 didn't take me to advanced options either. This means that I was locked out of Windows.

The next thing I did was to fix the boot things. I did bootrec.exe/(enter something here)
I scanned the OS

I did some DISKPART stuff and made sure that I activated the partition that Windows was installed on. After doing all of that, I found out that when I booted into Windows, it said that the bcd was missing. I Googled why that was missing and found a fairly viable answer. I didn't work...

So more or less, I couldn't get into Windows, nor Ubuntu.

And so, my next question is:

Does anyone know a way to actually fix to boot loader, or do you have to format everything and start fresh?

I wanted to explain everything incase any of those were variables to what the final answe could be (that didn't make sense)

Feel free to ask anymore questions if you want? But I really need to find a good answer to this problem, as this may begin happening more and more, as I mess about with OS'es.

Redox

Redox

Cisco Certified
Greeter
Reaction score
Sin$
For a while, I had a mix of Ubuntu and Windows 8 dual booted togeather. But today on Ubuntu, I had an update that was about 700kb (lol, or something). I downloaded it, and it said that everything was all good. It told me to restart my PC, which I did.

When I rebooted my PC, Ubuntu was ****ed up, and I think that was because I used a MAC OSX skin on it, because everywhere where there is suppose to be a skin, like on the top of applications, side bars and all that were gone (so it was to do with some kind of misconfigureation with the skin I was using, along with the fonts maybe?)

Amyway, this isn't the reason why I'm posing in the Microsoft section. I know that Ubuntu uses such a thing called a GRUB menu, which is where the user decides what OS they desire to boot onto.

My Ubuntu was broken more or less; I couldnt go into recovery mode, as that was just the same as the normal Ubuntu. I tried everything in my power to restore it back, but nothing was working. So, I went onto Windows and just formatted the partition, and then I was like "ohhhhh lord". I just deleted the GRUB menu, which is what's needed for me to get into Windows too.

So, I had to figure out how to get the Windows 8 boot loader back, as thats whats needed for me to just boot into Windows.

Now, I could have just gone and reinstalled Ubuntu, but it would appear that I didn't have a USB with Ubuntu on, AND the Windows Recovery disc would not display advanced start up options. I Googled it, and found that more or less everyone else had the option to do such a thing. And if I could go into advanced options, I could then go into safe mode and make myself a new bootable USB.

So, my first question is:
Why did I know have the option to boot into the advanced booting section.

The next problem I shortley encounterd, was that F8 didn't take me to advanced options either. This means that I was locked out of Windows.

The next thing I did was to fix the boot things. I did bootrec.exe/(enter something here)
I scanned the OS

I did some DISKPART stuff and made sure that I activated the partition that Windows was installed on. After doing all of that, I found out that when I booted into Windows, it said that the bcd was missing. I Googled why that was missing and found a fairly viable answer. I didn't work...

So more or less, I couldn't get into Windows, nor Ubuntu.

And so, my next question is:

Does anyone know a way to actually fix to boot loader, or do you have to format everything and start fresh?

I wanted to explain everything incase any of those were variables to what the final answe could be (that didn't make sense)

Feel free to ask anymore questions if you want? But I really need to find a good answer to this problem, as this may begin happening more and more, as I mess about with OS'es.

I have actually ran into this problem 3 times now the exact same way, always kept forgetting about the grub loader when partitioning haha when dual booting 7 and Kali linux and once when i had Ubuntu, Kali and windows 7, and i can say from first hand experience its a massive pain in the a**
the only way i could get around it was to actually re-install Kali because it had grub-loader on it luckily i use bootable dvds so i had it handy, i spent quite a while looking on forums and everything else to see if there was a way to restore the grub menu but to my knowledge there's not, as it changes your registry to boot from that, and i think it deletes the original windows boot loader.

So unfortunately i think the only way to resolve it is to re-install Ubuntu as that's the only way to re-install the grub loader, you shouldn't lose any files you had in your windows partition tho.

The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$
I have actually ran into this problem 3 times now the exact same way, always kept forgetting about the grub loader when partitioning haha when dual booting 7 and Kali linux and once when i had Ubuntu, Kali and windows 7, and i can say from first hand experience its a massive pain in the a**
the only way i could get around it was to actually re-install Kali because it had grub-loader on it luckily i use bootable dvds so i had it handy, i spent quite a while looking on forums and everything else to see if there was a way to restore the grub menu but to my knowledge there's not, as it changes your registry to boot from that, and i think it deletes the original windows boot loader.

So unfortunately i think the only way to resolve it is to re-install Ubuntu as that's the only way to re-install the grub loader, you shouldn't lose any files you had in your windows partition tho.

It looks like ill just make a bootable disc with Ubuntu on it then. That's some pain in the ***, because now, in order to fix the problem, I'll have to go and reinstall the bloody thing, to to **** up again lol.

Thank you!

Redox

Redox

Cisco Certified
Greeter
Reaction score
Sin$
It looks like ill just make a bootable disc with Ubuntu on it then. That's some pain in the ***, because now, in order to fix the problem, I'll have to go and reinstall the bloody thing, to to **** up again lol.

Thank you!
it's easily one of the most annoying problems i have ran into, that's the only solution i found to it as well! good luck anyway let us know how you get on!

The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$
it's easily one of the most annoying problems i have ran into, that's the only solution i found to it as well! good luck anyway let us know how you get on!

I think I'm actually going to leave Ubuntu for a while. My dad's PC (running Ubuntu) had gone on him since the newest updates. He did one update, and the graphics had failed on him (or something) His mini laptop went on him for a diffrent reason that I can't remember. So it seems that these updates are totally cocking all the computers we have in our home lol.

Top Bottom
Login
Register