What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Discussion i have a zephyr with glue around the cpu and gpu?

bvop

bvop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
its weird. ive looked at the power supply to prove that its a zephyr but anybody i ask says that there's no way that it's a zephyr. i know that xenons did have glue around both if they were refurbished, and zephyrs had glue around the gpu if refurbished, so i need some help figuring out whats up. when i bought it from ebay the seller never mentioned that the warranty seal was broken and there was a fan mod along with bolts replacing the x clamps. can anybody help?

QuantumOfSolace

QuantumOfSolace

Reaction score
Sin$
Mind reading the writing on the GPU? I recall some rumors that there were genuine Zephyr mainboards (evidenced by the older power socket that has the little plastic bit inside to prevent 175W or lower PSUs to work on it) that had received the same fixed GPU chips found in post-March 2008 Falcons.

If you have the board accessible, please read the writing on it. I wonder if your Zephyr is among the few to receive the fixed X816970 GPUs.

bvop

bvop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The MFD sticker doesnt look like one of a console that has been refurbished - if you refurbish consoles you'll know what i mean (especially in xenons/opus/elpis boards). ill check tho

QuantumOfSolace

QuantumOfSolace

Reaction score
Sin$
The MFD sticker doesnt look like one of a console that has been refurbished - if you refurbish consoles you'll know what i mean (especially in xenons/opus/elpis boards). ill check tho
That's the thing - MS didn't change the stickers on some Zephyr refurbs - I have had at least three Zephyr refurbs that had original stickers on the cases (16.5A rating), but the boards inside were 2008 Falcons - that was without any case opening (MS warranty stickers intact even) and the serials matched. Last one was dated MFR 17/03/2008, also had a 16.5A rating, no signs of Service Date - board inside was a Falcon (power plug is the dead giveaway) with fixed GPU

Hence why a genuine Zephyr (with the middle plastic bit in the power socket, similar to Xenon power plugs) with glue around GPU and original case could be a very late Zephyr refurb, but I can't say for sure unless you can find out the GPU part number. If it's a X810480, it's likely a standard Zephyr_C with the defective Rhea. However, a X816970 with glue around it on the board (and with the three coils near the CPU heatsink) would point to a very late Zephyr_C refurb, positioning it around the same timeframe fixed Falcons started shipping. (not sure if Opus would be included as I have no idea when did it start shipping.)

bvop

bvop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That's the thing - MS didn't change the stickers on some Zephyr refurbs - I have had at least three Zephyr refurbs that had original stickers on the cases (16.5A rating), but the boards inside were 2008 Falcons - that was without any case opening (MS warranty stickers intact even) and the serials matched. Last one was dated MFR 17/03/2008, also had a 16.5A rating, no signs of Service Date - board inside was a Falcon (power plug is the dead giveaway) with fixed GPU

Hence why a genuine Zephyr (with the middle plastic bit in the power socket, similar to Xenon power plugs) with glue around GPU and original case could be a very late Zephyr refurb, but I can't say for sure unless you can find out the GPU part number. If it's a X810480, it's likely a standard Zephyr_C with the defective Rhea. However, a X816970 with glue around it on the board (and with the three coils near the CPU heatsink) would point to a very late Zephyr_C refurb, positioning it around the same timeframe fixed Falcons started shipping. (not sure if Opus would be included as I have no idea when did it start shipping.)
Its a Rhea, but that still doesnt explain why there's glue around the GPU

unless it was refurbished before they started giving out those chips

QuantumOfSolace

QuantumOfSolace

Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, but the key is what revision of Rhea is it that you have - X810480, or the fixed X816970 Rhea chip.
Most Zephyrs I've encountered have had the plagued 810480 (but which at least is compatbile for a fixed chip replacement), but as I said - there are factory-built (or refurb'd) Zephyrs sporting the X816970 Rhea chip (aka Rhea Htg85)

bvop

bvop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, speak of the devil. I guess I know now that the GPU is 480, because i woke up this morning with an E74.

Awesome. Time to reflow.

QuantumOfSolace

QuantumOfSolace

Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah... don't expect it to last. I have a reflowed unit too (E73) that awaits a chip replacement. The only reason I had reflowed it is to see if the BGA wasn't too far gone - my previous Zephyr encounter was a complete loss in that regard and would have probably ended up with ripped pads if sent to a GPU reballing shop (as that's where I'd expect them to be able to replace the chip as well, considering it's more or less the same process.)

bvop

bvop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i might just penny trick this one. if it is the hana, which i think it is. Whenever i try to tighten the heatsink on the gpu (just to see if itll work) it shorts out the board, kills the power from the brick, and red rings, SEC 0031, "power negated unexpectedly." This will also hsppen if i barely tap the heatsink while it's on (doesnt matter if its booted up or not). I just really dont want to take the time to reflow it... ugh. This could all have been avoided if M$ wouldve just used leaded soulder.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah... don't expect it to last. I have a reflowed unit too (E73) that awaits a chip replacement. The only reason I had reflowed it is to see if the BGA wasn't too far gone - my previous Zephyr encounter was a complete loss in that regard and would have probably ended up with ripped pads if sent to a GPU reballing shop (as that's where I'd expect them to be able to replace the chip as well, considering it's more or less the same process.)
i might just penny trick this one. if it is the hana, which i think it is. Whenever i try to tighten the heatsink on the gpu (just to see if itll work) it shorts out the board, kills the power from the brick, and red rings, SEC 0031, "power negated unexpectedly." This will also happen if i barely tap the heatsink while it's on (doesnt matter if its booted up or not). I just really dont want to take the time to reflow it... ugh. This could all have been avoided if M$ wouldve just used leaded soulder.

Top Bottom
Login
Register