What's new

Discussion I have 900$ to spend on graphic cards(s)

• Thread starter Unlovable Panda
  • Start date
  • Views 1,027
Unlovable Panda

Unlovable Panda

A zonkey
Reaction score
Sin$
Well for xmas, my whole family is getting me parts for my build and I am buying the graphic cards. I am wondering what one is best? I know the GTX 590 is better but the stats confuse me. Such as this

2098a1fa.png

13485cb8.png

The higher the clock speeds, is it saying that you need that much more or it clocks at that?

Also what company should I buy the card off of? Thanks!

Also, what card should I get? Recommend anything.

GENeTiCz xx

GENeTiCz xx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
No GTX 590 please..... If you're really looking to spend $900 on a graphic(s) card then you should just wait. The new cards will be coming out Feb-May. I would wait till CES 2012, b/c more than likely that's when they'll announce upcoming GPU's.

Unlovable Panda

Unlovable Panda

A zonkey
Reaction score
Sin$
No GTX 590 please..... If you're really looking to spend $900 on a graphic(s) card then you should just wait. The new cards will be coming out Feb-May. I would wait till CES 2012, b/c more than likely that's when they'll announce upcoming GPU's.

Why not the GTX 590? Why is it so bad?

Shatter

Shatter

Reaction score
Sin$
Driver issues. You could purchase 2 580's and get better performance. It's not worth the price tag it has on it.
I have 2gtx 580s, there is really no need unless your really into detail/fps. You can always save $100 more $ and get 2 gtx 580s if you want future proof thow.

Unlovable Panda

Unlovable Panda

A zonkey
Reaction score
Sin$
I have 2gtx 580s, there is really no need unless your really into detail/fps. You can always save $100 more $ and get 2 gtx 580s if you want future proof thow.
Yes, I pay big attention in fps and detail. I want to be able to play BF3 on ultra with minimum fps drop. How can I check if my mobo can support SLI? I am not that advanced with the parts.

UBA Fatman UBA

UBA Fatman UBA

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
You could SLI 2 580s save money and still be able to play on ultra. I can play on high without AA with only a single 6850.

GENeTiCz xx

GENeTiCz xx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you really wanna save some money you could SLI 570's or CX the 6970's.

Shatter

Shatter

Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, I pay big attention in fps and detail. I want to be able to play BF3 on ultra with minimum fps drop. How can I check if my mobo can support SLI? I am not that advanced with the parts.
1. Make sure the mobo supports dual or tri or quad sli.
2. Make sure the PSU is crossfire/sli ready
3. Make sure the gpus support sli

GENeTiCz xx

GENeTiCz xx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have that card, but you're about to waste your money. I love the card, and got it right after it came out. So I've had it for a good while, but I would just wait honestly. You're about to spend this much money on GPUs, when in a few months the price will drop, and better cards will be out. You'll feel stupid for not waiting, when you could have just waited to get a card that outperforms your current setup by a lot. I could understand if you was wanting to spend a couple hundred to upgrade until then, but just wait. You'll regret if you don't.

Just wait a month and one week until CES, and I'm sure that's when they'll be announcing new gen cards, Ivy Bridge, and many other products. Just wait.

Shatter

Shatter

Reaction score
Sin$
Just wait a month and one week until CES, and I'm sure that's when they'll be announcing new gen cards, Ivy Bridge, and many other products. Just wait.
His mobo doesn't have pci 3.0 slots which I am sure the next series of gpus will require pci 3.0. Also your going to need atleast a 1000watt psu to run 2 gtx 580s.

GENeTiCz xx

GENeTiCz xx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
His mobo doesn't have pci 3.0 slots which I am sure the next series of gpus will require pci 3.0. Also your going to need atleast a 1000watt psu to run 2 gtx 580s.

They will be backwards compatible, and more than likely will be faster than almost all PCI 2.0 card. Another thing is price drop in all previous gen cards. He'll just feel stupid when a couple months down the road it's significantly cheaper.

Edit: You could also go with the GTX 560 448. They just came out a few days ago, and are about equivalent to a 570's performance at about $30+ cheaper.

Shatter

Shatter

Reaction score
Sin$
They will be backwards compatible, and more than likely will be faster than almost all PCI 2.0 card. Another thing is price drop in all previous gen cards. He'll just feel stupid when a couple months down the road it's significantly cheaper.

Edit: You could also go with the GTX 560 448. They just came out a few days ago, and are about equivalent to a 570's performance at about $30+ cheaper.
I doubt that a pci 3.0 gpu will work on a pci 2.0 slot and if it does it will bottleneck, and thats like saying a usb 3.0 cable will work on usb 2.0 ports.

Unlovable Panda

Unlovable Panda

A zonkey
Reaction score
Sin$
I have that card, but you're about to waste your money. I love the card, and got it right after it came out. So I've had it for a good while, but I would just wait honestly. You're about to spend this much money on GPUs, when in a few months the price will drop, and better cards will be out. You'll feel stupid for not waiting, when you could have just waited to get a card that outperforms your current setup by a lot. I could understand if you was wanting to spend a couple hundred to upgrade until then, but just wait. You'll regret if you don't.

Thanks a lot for the information. You have been very helpful and I will like all your post on here :smile:

But the thing is, with me, I have no patience. When I can get some thing I feel as I need it. It is a bad bad bad bad trait that I have. If you had to say which graphic cards to get right now what would you say?

I just want to be able to play BF3 on Ultra setting and record game play with minimum fps loss. I know I sound completely stupid but its just when it's something I want, I have no patience. Considering that I am building my first computer on xmas with all the parts I am getting, I don't want it sitting there with no graphic cards haha. So these are my questions.

What card(s) should I get right now?
Should I upgrade my mobo so it has PCI 3.0?
Thanks a lot. Sorry again if I am so nooby haha.

GENeTiCz xx

GENeTiCz xx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks a lot for the information. You have been very helpful and I will like all your post on here :smile:

But the thing is, with me, I have no patience. When I can get some thing I feel as I need it. It is a bad bad bad bad trait that I have. If you had to say which graphic cards to get right now what would you say?

I just want to be able to play BF3 on Ultra setting and record game play with minimum fps loss. I know I sound completely stupid but its just when it's something I want, I have no patience. Considering that I am building my first computer on xmas with all the parts I am getting, I don't want it sitting there with no graphic cards haha. So these are my questions.

If you don't plan on getting Ivy Bridge later when it comes out or not to long after then I wouldn't waste your money on PCI 3.0 motherboard. If you really want something right now I would suggest MSI GTX580 Lightning Extreme XT that you posted. I have it in my gaming build, and it's a beast. It OC's very well, and has a lot of VRAM. Which, is really good thing depending on what games you will be playing. Plus, it's a sexy card.

An important question though. What case do you have?

Shatter

Shatter

Reaction score
Sin$
You'll Be fine with a gtx 580 or anything similar atm but you'll probably kick yourself in the *** if you buy one and don't wait for pci 3.0 since next gen cards will most likely be pci 3.0.

Unlovable Panda

Unlovable Panda

A zonkey
Reaction score
Sin$
If you don't plan on getting Ivy Bridge later when it comes out or not to long after then I wouldn't waste your money on PCI 3.0 motherboard. If you really want something right now I would suggest MSI GTX580 Lightning Extreme XT that you posted. I have it in my gaming build, and it's a beast. It OC's very well, and has a lot of VRAM. Which, is really good thing depending on what games you will be playing. Plus, it's a sexy card.

An important question though. What case do you have?
Thanks so much. What's the cheapest I can find the card though? The lowest is around 575$ I can find thanks.

Top Bottom
Login
Register