I guess you can go to jail for modding xboxes...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by Kickenwing, Aug 4, 2009 with 13 replies and 630 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kickenwing

Kickenwing VIP VIP

Ratings:
  2. Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire Retired Admin 4 Life Retired

Ratings:
    well... assuming he was smart he put "to allow them to play your legal backups, in which case his defense will be

"I modified the systems in order to play a legal backup of a game you already own. The digital Millenium act also allows for 1 backup of software you own"

He will be out of court in an hour lol

3. OP
    Kickenwing

Kickenwing VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Have you talked to a lawyer about that? I would double check that, if you are betting heavily on that statement. Like risking your criminal record on it.

4. EclipseModz

EclipseModz Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Wow that kinda makes me think twice about mine.

5. Coletrain17

Coletrain17 Getting There

Ratings:
    I researched it a ton before I started offering my services. Flashing and modifying the Xbox 360 is legal as long as you do not illegally distribute pirated games. You can download games, you can burn games, but the minute you start uploading games or selling copys is where you get fooked. A guy over at a similar site got fined $17,000 for uploading games and distributing them over the net. Long story short, you can mod and download, just don't sell games or upload ripped games

6. Noupoi

Noupoi Contributor

Ratings:
    There was an article a while back about a guy in the UK having his house raided by police cos he was chipping Xboxes.

7. EclipseModz

EclipseModz Retired Retired

Ratings:
    After reading this I wouldn't be too sure about that Cole.

8. ThePope43

ThePope43 Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I think that stuff is some major BS. I dont see how it's illegal to modify something that you OWN. If you buy the xbox, then you OWN it. you OWN the box, you OWN the drive, you OWN the firmware on the drive, you OWN it all. If you modify it then that should not be illegal.

9. Sixen

Sixen Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Its not illegal its illegal to have the games without having the original copy

10. OP
    Kickenwing

Kickenwing VIP VIP

Ratings:

Hey Cole, hate to break it to you, but you are wrong. Just read this statement in your head a fews times over.

The DMCA, the law under which Crippen was charged, says, “no person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.”

11. Coletrain17

Coletrain17 Getting There

Ratings:
    Shhhhh I'm just trying to tell myself it will all be ok :tongue:

12. Scar

Scar Retired Retired

Ratings:
    It IS illegal... Why do you think flashing boxes would be legal when buying/selling/installing modchips is illegal in the US? They both do the same thing...

13. lx leo xl

lx leo xl Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Even modchips should be way more legal than a firmware mod. All it lets you do is play backups with a modchip you can say you want to run linux persay, or a media center.

The chances this guy had all these machines to do that are very slimm and hopefully they haven't found that out.

14. Scar

Scar Retired Retired

Ratings: