.htaccess help

Discussion in 'Programming & Scripting' started by punkskater2448, Feb 10, 2009 with 5 replies and 219 views.

1. punkskater2448

punkskater2448 Taking Over The World Retired

Ratings:
    I need help. I have no Idea how I need to go about doing this..

Edit - I figured out where the file is located, my logs folder, but when I go to upload the edited one it will not transfer, nor will it let me delete the original one.

2. TerminatioN

TerminatioN AzzidReign loves GTA Retired

Ratings:
    I'm not a pro at this, but I thought the .htaccess file was located in the directory you want it to affect (And directories under that one are affected too), as opposed to a log folder... Maybe you need to create it in the proper directory?

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    punkskater2448

punkskater2448 Taking Over The World Retired

Ratings:
    I spoke with my hosting company. Apparently the one in my log folder generates by its self and can not be edited. I need to put it, like you said, in the ones I want it to effect.

4. TerminatioN

TerminatioN AzzidReign loves GTA Retired

Ratings:
    Yay, I was right. :smile:

Well if you think about it, it kind of makes sense. Anything in the "log" folder is going to be just that; a log (record of changes), and the file in there is likely just protecting that file.

Anyways, I'm guessing this problem is solved. Glad to have helped. :smile:

5. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Also remember a log file can be in a root. If a folder above it does not have an .htaccess, it will use whatever settings can be found in the next directory, and so forth. So usually it would be best to have it in the root of the area you wish to be affected, and different areas can be blocked off.

6. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Usually people just stick it right in their root folders. Although if you wanted it to only affect certain folders, you'd obviously only put in those particular folders.