What's new

Request How was this done?

J

Joker

Arkham Asylum
Reaction score
Hello, So I decided to start a new youtube channel and I was looking for some intro ideas, I found this video and was curious how the 'smoke' effect was done, I mean when the player runs through the smoke and it kind of 'collides' with them or the player 'runs through' it? Here is the video:

So when the player runs through the smoke, There is an illusion that the smoke is in the game, In this screenshot the players left shoulder is not in the smoke and the right shoulder is in the smoke then they proceed to run through the smoke

https://prnt.sc/k8yqyt
(could not embed the image)

any idea how this was done or what method was used? also at 21 seconds in the camera appears 'fixed' to the gun, how would this be done?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

- J o k e r

A

Art

the guy who designs stuff
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
So I can tell just by the way the smoke looks, it was likely created with FumeFX inside 3DS Max. You'd create an emitter for the smoke and send an invisible shape or even the actual player model through it to make it look like something ran through it. I don't do any post/composite work so I don't know how you'd go about adding the rendered smoke to the game clip but I imagine its done with masks (to erase part of the smoke as seen in the screenshot, and to hide it behind the buildings) and camera tracking to keep the perspective throughout the clip. As for tracking the gun I believe you can do that with camera options inside of PUBG? but I'm not too sure.

J

Joker

Arkham Asylum
Reaction score
So I can tell just by the way the smoke looks, it was likely created with FumeFX inside 3DS Max. You'd create an emitter for the smoke and send an invisible shape or even the actual player model through it to make it look like something ran through it. I don't do any post/composite work so I don't know how you'd go about adding the rendered smoke to the game clip but I imagine its done with masks (to erase part of the smoke as seen in the screenshot, and to hide it behind the buildings) and camera tracking to keep the perspective throughout the clip. As for tracking the gun I believe you can do that with camera options inside of PUBG? but I'm not too sure.
Ahh.. So waaaay out of my area of expertise (which is basically 0) D: Thanks for the information man! Appreciate it!

C

Cozz

I post accounts from time to time.
Reaction score
Ahh.. So waaaay out of my area of expertise (which is basically 0) D: Thanks for the information man! Appreciate it!
*Almost* Anything can be done with the power of Google :smile:

Top Bottom