How to use laptop as wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by punkskater2448, Feb 2, 2009 with 41 replies and 31,126 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkskater2448

punkskater2448 Taking Over The World Retired

Ratings:
    This tutorial will show you how to turn your laptop into a wireless Xbox 360 adapter.

How to use a laptop as a wireless adapter

What do I need?
    . Xp
    . Wireless card or built in wireless card
    . A Wireless Modem/Router
    . An Ethernet cable
    . Xbox 360
    . Ability to bridge connections on your PC/Laptop

[​IMG]

What does this type of connection do?

It shares the connections and making it a direct connection from your 360, to your wireless card to the internet, but it will be going through your PC, which means if you have host you can alternate the connections since its going through your PC(Just think if it as another way than bridging through your router...)

STEP 1:
    Hook your Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port on your pc/laptop to your xbox/360, and have your wireless card plugged in and connected.

[​IMG]

Step 2:
    Once that is done, open up your Network Connections ( Control Panel -> Network & Internet Connections )

[​IMG]

Step 3:
    Highlight Local area connection and wireless connection by draggin your mouse over both or holding "ctrl + mouse click"

[​IMG]

Step 4:
    Once they are both highlighted, right-click on of them, a pop-up menu should appear. From that menu, click "Bridge Connections"

This window will pop-up
    [​IMG]

Now, your network connections should look similar to this

[​IMG]

Step 5:
    When its done, go to your Network & Internet Connections window, and it should look like this:

[​IMG]

There you go, your connections are shared and bridged.

I do not take credit for making this tutorial.

• Like Like x 11
  2. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    I already have a tut like this but better.

3. Nubble

Nubble Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Lol you don't even need to command prompt...

4. OP
    punkskater2448

Ratings:
    Please do not post in this thread unless you have a reason to. I do not need your spam to fill this thread.

5. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    All you do is *****.

Anyways good tutorial for people who want to save money.

Nightcast delete.

6. OP
    punkskater2448

Ratings:
    I am sorry you feel that way. I try to help members on this site and contribute in any way possible. I apologize if the way I conduct my self on these forums offends you.

7. foreman

foreman Banned

Ratings:
  8. Otaku Se7en

Otaku Se7en The Old School Retired

Ratings:
    This is from my post in the premium section, exactly what we established, you got on me for 'Stealing Thanks' better put the guys name that helped me that you go this whole shabang from.

9. OP
    punkskater2448

Ratings:
    How do you figure? With this tut you do not have to spend any money. With that one you have to spend from $15 to $20.

10. AdvancedGhosts

AdvancedGhosts Newbie

Ratings:
    awsome thanks always want to know how to do this

11. OP
    punkskater2448

Ratings:
    No problem. Hope this saved you about $100.

12. sWi x oP

sWi x oP Newbie

Ratings:
    Few questions for this

1. do i still need to have zonealarm to get host or will this get my host every time?
    2. if i do need zonealarm do i just do it the normal way i always get host for the the second thing and count to 10?

13. OP
    punkskater2448

Ratings:
    This tut does not teach you how to bridge for host this is simply showing people how to bridge their connections and use their laptop as a wireless adapter.

14. Otaku Se7en

Ratings:
    So anyways, it dosen't show in your tut but there should be another icon above that one that says 'Internet Gateway' It will say connected, disabled, disconnected ect. If it just has what you have on your screen, the two connections and the bridge, then it won't connect.

My problem is I have it 360-Router-laptop. I've been doing this for at least 4-5 days before you posted this. For the first time I'm having trouble, it says connections connected, and bridged, when I do that the internet gateway disappears, so I made a shortcut to it on my desktop, so when it disappears, I right click it and hit Enable, it pops back up, but now when I try to connect to XBL, my 360 can't see the network at all. So what would you suggest I try? Everythings hooked up and there, worked everytime before, now it dosen't all the sudden.

15. Ryououki

Ryououki Newbie

Ratings:
    If the bridge appears to be made but doesn't actually pass network traffic, it could be that your wireless NIC doesn't support promiscuous mode, even though, when Windows XP queries the card, it reports that it does.

Unfortunately, this appears to be a problem with many wireless cards on the market right now. There is a solution to this problem, which is to manually force the NIC into Compatibility mode. You need to set the wireless adapter to ForceCompatibilityMode. First, open a command window:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

2. In the command window, type netsh bridge show

3. Note the number assigned to the wireless adapter and type netsh bridge set a 1 e where you substitute the number displayed in the previous step for the number 1 in this step.

4. To double check the wireless card is correctly set with Force Compatibility Mode enabled, type the netsh bridge show a command again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Otaku Se7en

Ratings:
    Hey punkskater, for I use an ACER laptop, but when I did this it scews your PC after a while, I had to get a new one from my school, when you bridge the connections it causes your PC's WinSock to plain stop working. My PC admin at the school showed me a few fried devices inside my laptop from doing this for about 2 hours a day.

17. OP
    punkskater2448

Ratings:
    I am sure thats the case. Stop making bull **** posts about me man. I dont know what you have against me, or what your issue is but get over it and grow up. What is wrong with trying to educate people and help people out who do not know this kind of stuff?

And remember this is just like your tut? So then your tut also screwed up your own pc if what your saying is true.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Otaku Se7en

Ratings:
    I could hunt down the post but I don't care that much to argue with people younger than me, someone told me this in the prem forums, when I saw you viewing the thread, there was a tut up within a week, and I can't go into detail but this also screws up the WinSock _____(Something) Provider which is what allows your apps to communicate with the Net, so yea, its useful temp fix, but not for longterm use.

19. Ryououki

Ryououki Newbie

Ratings:
    You and your school admin are truly idiots if you believe building a software bridge between 2 hardware adapters would cause it to fry. Seriously, learn the truth before saying something so ridiculous.

20. HangtimePro

HangtimePro Permanently Plugged In

Ratings:
    You know, you don't have to bridge connections to connect to Live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.