Tutorial How to unbrick WD drive destroyed by wrong UNDO.BIN

• Thread starter l3VGV
  • Start date
  • Views 2,435
l3VGV

l3VGV

Reaction score
Sin$
So i was able to repair my wd1600bevt drive wich i destroyd by uploading wrong undo.bin file, moral here - do not use not ur own undo.bin. I used one from same drive model, like 1600bevt-22zct0, but date was few month away and i bricked it. Now when i know beter how drive works internaly - it almost 0 chance of success if u dont have total match by model number and date.

So why it hapening and wat hddhackr do. Exelent analizys here: users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/HddHackr_analysis.html

Basically when u supply wrong undo bin it destroy 2 things: 0D module in flash(or ROM how its called in most hdd software) - easy to repair, but drive would not work. 02 module on drive tracks. That is like drive config section. Its small and contain alot of sensitive data that drive use while it starting. And i looked in alot of dumped modules from drives with my model numbers - they all diferent. But! great news - drive have backup inside! We need to get it, its inside module 802F. But here is the catch. To read modules from tracks drive must be properly initialized and we have init data unavalable and after few atempts it will stop with error flag.

But our drive usualy respond to ATA commands, so ther should be some way. And there is. U will need to have access to pro hdd repair service or have neccesary software. Thanks to my luck i have those. Kind souls helped me and showed the way and waht to do.
Basic plan is realy simple:
1) Restart drive with FW loading block
2) now all modules will be readable
3) dump 802F, cut header. second ROYL word is the start of our 02 backup - look ther is our date of manufacture and serial, hehe. So cut header, save file new 02
4) write new 02 backup to 02 module
5) restore 0D section in ROM. U can find some backup of that data inside other track modules, but i just used a donor file and it worked, so get it from here files.hddguru.com/download/Non-PC-3000 firmwares/Western Digital/DENALI/
make sure u get as close as posible in drive model, date and internal firmware (wich is 8.f 8.1s etc, i guess that is why u got bricked in a first place)
6) unplug drive, plug it back, it should be totaly fine now!

Maybe someone will be able to write some dos app for that for total auto recovery :smile: but i was using software called WDMarvel, that why u need pro hdd service access. Program is not free but most of services have it bcs it cheap(compared to pc-3000 and others).

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register