What's new

Tutorial How to Softmod the original Xbox [Rocky5] - 2022

B

BaconWizard17

Reaction score
Sin$
I've made some more attempts, and I still haven't gotten it to work. I switched to the default skin on the softmod (the one that looks like a blue version of the unmodded XBOX menu), just because I like it more, and while I'm getting different results, I still can't get chimp to load. I've watched several YouTube videos on how to do it, and I'm making sure to follow the process very carefully, and still nothing goes for me.

Additionally, I tried to install the dashboard sounds from the extras disc (I was able to burn a copy), and every time I do, it errors out and it says:
"Invalid Command
Unable to execute command.
Item: Deleting C:\xboxdashdata.105ead00\
Action: Delete"
This occurs at the stage where it cleans the C drive

I decided to just say screw it an move on. I then installed Chimp from the extras disc (overwriting what I FTP'd over). I also followed the procedure to null the hard drive/EEPROM key, and also copied the backup info for the EEPROM to my computer.

Procedure for hard drive swapping:
- Open XBOX
- Replace 40-wire IDE cable with 80-wire IDE cable (connected between motherboard, disc drive, and existing hard drive)
- Connect SATA to IDE adapter to new hard drive, move jumper to Slave (lower) position)
- Connect both drives to power via molex splitter
- Power on XBOX and wait 5 minutes (New skin shows UnleashX loading screen rather than XBOX Softmodding Tool loading screen on startup)
- Unplug the IDE cable from the disc drive and quickly connect it to the new drive via the adapter (within less than 2 seconds)
- Wait a few seconds, and then go to the Application menu

Here's where this dashboard skin differs slightly from previous attempts:
- Trying to go to the Applications menu creates a popup that says "checking. Please wait..." (or something to this effect). I've waited for a few minutes, and it never goes away. It just sits and loads
- If I have the application menu open before conducting the hot swap, the XBOX just freezes up and won't let me select anything

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Is my softmod improperly installed? Is my hard drive wrong or messed up? Is my XBOX itself somehow wrong? I'm pretty much ready to give up here, because I don't know what else there is I can do, unless something that I'm doing is wrong.

I'm sorry that like 90% of this thread is now me trying to get this to work. I hope I'm not clogging it up for anyone else.

Another note: when I launch the extras disc, it says “Retail 4817 BIOS detected”. Is that normal?

Further edit: I put my Xbox back together. I popped in the extras disc one last time to see if I could at least get sounds. I saw an option to update the softmod, and I did that. The process ran through normally (I think) except for the fact that in the step before installing the softmod, it got stuck on a black screen for a while. I manually rebooted it, and after that it re-installed the softmod. It still didn’t allow me to install the sounds (for the same reason), and now it also tells me that my config file is corrupt or damaged whenever I start the Xbox. I looked in the file explorer and the config.xml file in C:\Dashboards is 0kb. Not sure what happened there. It says I can safely ignore the message and reboot to apply settings, but that doesn’t do anything, and the message persists. There is a config_old.xml file in there as well. Is it safe to copy that and rename it to config.xml, and would that fix this issue?

Last edited:
B

BaconWizard17

Reaction score
Sin$
More info in the chronicles of BaconWizard:

I did a complete reinstall of the softmod from ground zero. I was able to get the sounds installed after that, and no more issues with the missing xml file.

I have reason to suspect that the spark I mentioned before did in fact fry the hard drive. It's the only thing on the xbox that doesn't work. I have a hard drive docking station that I can connect to my computer via USB, and I checked it with that. The computer should recognize that a drive was inserted as soon as it happened, but that never occurred with this drive. I've got a new one on order that I'm going to be much more careful with

A

axeeon

Reaction score
Sin$
So maybe I am dumb.. I am currently stuck on unleashx with no ms dash using the SID installer. I am trying to upgrade / update to this however when I launch default.xbe in either folder (quick upgrade / update) just stays on a black screen. I have been googleing the past few days just not sure what I am doing wrong. Normally I would have reverted to MSDash then re run the splinter cell mod.. but yea my idiot self didn't backup the original dash and have been out of the scene so long have no idea where to ftp the msdash.. sorry for the long post an again I am so sorry if this has been answered elsewhere or I really am just dumb but any help would be appreciated.

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Platinum Record A Milli Tutorial Creator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
So maybe I am dumb.. I am currently stuck on unleashx with no ms dash using the SID installer. I am trying to upgrade / update to this however when I launch default.xbe in either folder (quick upgrade / update) just stays on a black screen. I have been googleing the past few days just not sure what I am doing wrong. Normally I would have reverted to MSDash then re run the splinter cell mod.. but yea my idiot self didn't backup the original dash and have been out of the scene so long have no idea where to ftp the msdash.. sorry for the long post an again I am so sorry if this has been answered elsewhere or I really am just dumb but any help would be appreciated.
Are you using the HD (component) cables? IIRC, you have to use the composite cables (the 3 plugs, 2 audio, 1 video).

edit: I just looked, it is in the tutorial:
Let's softmod your Xbox
  1. Start up your Xbox and make sure your flash drive is connected. Make sure you are using composite cables, not component.

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Still not working.. used both cables but I think my problem lies further perhaps something with the xbox itself.. ima just buy a used one and start from scratch with this one
Weird. You are using just 3 of the inputs? Try making your settings 480i

M

MorbidCharlie

Reaction score
Sin$
I just dusted off my original X. It's already soft modded with the 007 exploit, but I want to "clean it up": update to Rocky5's setup and wipe the drive for a fresh start. Is all this possible from Rocky5's disc? Thanks!

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I just dusted off my original X. It's already soft modded with the 007 exploit, but I want to "clean it up": update to Rocky5's setup and wipe the drive for a fresh start. Is all this possible from Rocky5's disc? Thanks!
I believe there is an "update softmod" option, yes. It's been quite a while since I opened up any of this and messed around with it but I do believe he's got something in there to clean up the softmod and update it to his version.

B

Brewstermuz

Reaction score
Sin$
Sorry to jump on this thread. I'm new and will continue to read up, but if there is a better way let me know. I have a question about the softmod that I was hoping to see here. I was finally able to get a compatible thumb drive and copy the files over to the hdd. The game-saves and tool show up in the memory, however I don't see them in the game. Tried splinter cell and mechassault. Any ideas? Thanks

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Sorry to jump on this thread. I'm new and will continue to read up, but if there is a better way let me know. I have a question about the softmod that I was hoping to see here. I was finally able to get a compatible thumb drive and copy the files over to the hdd. The game-saves and tool show up in the memory, however I don't see them in the game. Tried splinter cell and mechassault. Any ideas? Thanks
Did you add the softmod save to your thumbdrive as well? You would need both the game save and softmod file.
fUncQbD.png

Y

YeleyFan18

Reaction score
Sin$
So, I'm having my own unique little issue. I got the USB drive running, I put the proper files into the hard drive, run Splinter Cell, and... Black screen. Nothing, I have a red ring, but the screen is entirely blank, I go through google and do the power cycle, and still the screen is black. Am I doing something wrong, is it my tv that has a display issue? I'm scratching my head frustrated here.

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
So, I'm having my own unique little issue. I got the USB drive running, I put the proper files into the hard drive, run Splinter Cell, and... Black screen. Nothing, I have a red ring, but the screen is entirely blank, I go through google and do the power cycle, and still the screen is black. Am I doing something wrong, is it my tv that has a display issue? I'm scratching my head frustrated here.
You have both the game file and the softmod file (2 files in total) on the drive? And you are using the old non-hd xbox cables, not the HD cables?

J

junkyarddogmax

Reaction score
Sin$
im having trouble with the downloader keeps saying i have no internet connection . i have the lastest build v1.1.8. can someone help me with this please

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
im having trouble with the downloader keeps saying i have no internet connection . i have the lastest build v1.1.8. can someone help me with this please
What step are you on?

J

junkyarddogmax

Reaction score
Sin$
What step are you on?
its all installed , when i go to the downloader to try and download anything i keep getting error no network access, please check your ethernet cable . i put a new cable on changed timezones nothing is working

J

junkyarddogmax

Reaction score
Sin$
its all installed , when i go to the downloader to try and download anything i keep getting error no network access, please check your ethernet cable . i put a new cable on changed timezones nothing is working
i have been trying to fix this for 3day now . any help would be awesome.

Top Bottom
Login
Register