What's new

How to Softmod a Original Xbox in 2017!

• Thread starter Reedradar
  • Start date
  • Views 6,951
Reedradar

Reedradar

Flex and bass is what life is all about.
Reaction score
THREAD IS BEING UPDATED PLEASE STANDBY

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to my 2017 softmod of the original xbox

I am doing this tutorial so no one has to go through the trouble i did when trying to find a USB for this damn thing and frankly get this **** just done

What will you need?
  • Original Xbox
  • Xbox to USB female adapter
  • Rooted Android Device
  • This download folder of everything you will need
    • ([Click here to view this link])
      • 61c4e3c1776f5f9d71a235454b17d970.png
  • A PC
IF YOU HAVE A USB THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE XBOX SKIP THE DROID DRIVE PORTION THIS TUTORIAL WORKS WITH A USB JUST AS WELL
Any of these three games (Splinter cell,MechAssault(With a specific serial key), or 007 Agents under fire)
cefccf36f549d3b5d9a614deccb66bf2.jpg

Lets start with getting our rooted android device and getting it ready
Where to get a rooted android device?
Simply get the amazon fire tablet and root it
https://tinyurl.com/gmj7r2m (It's a tiny url because se7ensins would not stop trying to make the link media and it kept breaking it
Now i understand you're paying $50 compared to $5-$10 for a USB. Well most usbs don't work and most people have a tablet lieing around or an old android phone that 99% of the time has a root available and rooting is fairly easy to do

Now once your Phone is rooted(or tablet) go ahead and get DriveDroid(This will be our replacement for the USB)Now lets follow these steps

• Go ahead and skip the setup process and it will bring you to the main droid drive screen in the upper right hand corner press the "+" icon and hit create a blank image
  • For file name put anything here you can see i put "Reedradar" for Size put 18mbAnd change the bottom box from non to FAT in the end your screen should look like this
44c748c2e150cf3a71f3c39605c90ae6.jpg

Then lets go ahead and tap the settings icon it is the icon to the right of the "+" icon
Scroll down to USB settings and then Tap "USB SYSTEM" and change this to "Standard Android kernel"
Then make sure "Automatically change USB mode to hosting" is checked and change Automatic usb mode and Manually change usb mode to mass storage

Now plug your Android device into your Xbox via the Female to Xbox adapter you have and it should say that the memory card is corrupt and erase it. This is good. Now your xbox should look like this under memory

a8625e731eb097c2bc3fdf0feaca6095.jpg

TO THE PC
The good news is you are half way there!
Now lets go ahead and Start by plugging in your android device into your PC.
IT WILL ASK YOU TO FORMAT PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!
1:Now open up Xplorer360 that you were provided with above and in the upper left hand corner press drive open HDD or Memcard and it will say Partition 0 this is good now with this we click it and we go into the "Start with me!" folder
2:unzip Softmod save and the save of whatever game you are doing this softmod with and move them over into Xplorer360 make sure to not take the udata folder just the folder with the #s it should be fairly quick in the end your Xplorer should look like this
4880d711863f37f0b3b2a123df85e62f.png

Now we can go ahead and plug this guy into the xbox and copy over the save games to the internal HDD and then launch the game you were using in my case it's splinter cell.

Launch the game load game and select check point and the installer will come up follow the onscreen commands and enjoy your new softmodded Xbox

This is for those who are getting an error when trying to use the provided SID INSTALLER. To get Sid installer to work properly just follow these steps
  • Open up the xbox FTP provided in the files and enter your Xbox IPV4 address(This can be found under Settings<Network of your Softmodded Xbox
  • Then Move the Sid Installer save over and the Exploit game file over and then extract Xbox dashboard 5960 and delete everything in Drive C and replace it with MS Dash 5960 files. Then just launch the save game exploit again and it will let you back up and install SID installer

EDIT #1: Currently making a video for this tutorial in case anything was to confusing

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bradrsp123

Reaction score
Hi just seen this I am looking to do it with my rooted phone a quick question though does the xbox format all of the sd card or just the partition created?

Reedradar

Reedradar

Reaction score
Hi just seen this I am looking to do it with my rooted phone a quick question though does the xbox format all of the sd card or just the partition created?
Just the partition you created. I didn't even use a SD card in my Rooted Amazon tablet

X

x0nex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm struggling to get files from UDATA folders to the Partition 0 in xplorer360.
I've done each step upon the way, and either I drag/drop or insert folder... but it appears that nothing is moving over to this. The Partition 0 is there though.

- I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 in Canada on a Bell network (not being used as a phone tho). It has Android version Marshmellow on it.

- Rooted from a guide on Tom's Guides (SM-G900W8 (Canada): CF-Auto-Root-kltecan-kltevl-smg900w8.zip)

- I've downloaded DriveDroid, and followed the steps above. I was unsure if I should use "Standard Android Kernel" or "Standard Android Kernel (legacy)". Either way I couldn't get further.

I can't seem to put the #'d files on to Partition 0 of the phones created FAT drive.

Sometimes I get this notification.
"The connected device is unable to access data on this device. Reconnect the USB cable and try again.

Android File Transfer or Samsung Smart Switch must be installed on Mac OS X devices. To download Android File Transfer, go to https://www.android.com/filetransfer or to download Samsung Smart Switch, go to https://www.samsung.com/smartswitch."

Is this a necessary step to proceed?

Last edited:
Reedradar

Reedradar

Reaction score
I'm struggling to get files from UDATA folders to the Partition 0 in xplorer360.
I've done each step upon the way, and either I drag/drop or insert folder... but it appears that nothing is moving over to this. The Partition 0 is there though.

- I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 in Canada on a Bell network (not being used as a phone tho). It has Android version Marshmellow on it.

- Rooted from a guide on Tom's Guides (SM-G900W8 (Canada): CF-Auto-Root-kltecan-kltevl-smg900w8.zip)

- I've downloaded DriveDroid, and followed the steps above. I was unsure if I should use "Standard Android Kernel" or "Standard Android Kernel (legacy)". Either way I couldn't get further.

I can't seem to put the #'d files on to Partition 0 of the phones created FAT drive.

"The connected device is unable to access data on this device. Reconnect the USB cable and try again.

Android File Transfer or Samsung Smart Switch must be installed on Mac OS X devices. To download Android File Transfer, go to https://www.android.com/filetransfer or to download Samsung Smart Switch, go to https://www.samsung.com/smartswitch."

Have you used more than 1 cable? I format mine with the xbox and also make sure you use the files i provided above

Reedradar

Reedradar

Reaction score

You also need to set your USB to writable by taping it and hitting writable

X

x0nex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you used more than 1 cable? I format mine with the xbox and also make sure you use the files i provided above

I am currently using the Samsung cable that the phone came with. I plug the USB in on my laptop, or plug it into my Xbox controller port to female USB port that I made, depending on which stage of the transfer I am on. I could use another USB to micro-USB for this part, but I didn't think that would make a difference. I haven't used any other Xbox controller port to female USB port cables, as I have only the one that I created and that seems to recognize the drive. It's that I can't transfer the files onto my phone.

I cannot find the option to format the Memory Unit once it is in the Xbox, I can "Personalize" and "Erase" only.

Also I have strictly been using the same files that you provided, as I don't want to create unnecessary complications.

You also need to set your USB to writable by taping it and hitting writable

I came across this issue now. I see that the 3 options are there, Writable, Readable, and CD-Rom. I can only click on the CD-Rom option, and the other 2 are grayed out. I am currently trying to find out how to enable this option and will respond with anything I've learned when I come to that. If there is anything that I might have missed or that you might know to help me, again it would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, I want to thank you for making this guide and especially thank you for returning to respond to my needs. You've already been a tremendous help.

Reedradar

Reedradar

Reaction score
I am currently using the Samsung cable that the phone came with. I plug the USB in on my laptop, or plug it into my Xbox controller port to female USB port that I made, depending on which stage of the transfer I am on. I could use another USB to micro-USB for this part, but I didn't think that would make a difference. I haven't used any other Xbox controller port to female USB port cables, as I have only the one that I created and that seems to recognize the drive. It's that I can't transfer the files onto my phone.

I cannot find the option to format the Memory Unit once it is in the Xbox, I can "Personalize" and "Erase" only.

Also I have strictly been using the same files that you provided, as I don't want to create unnecessary complications.

I came across this issue now. I see that the 3 options are there, Writable, Readable, and CD-Rom. I can only click on the CD-Rom option, and the other 2 are grayed out. I am currently trying to find out how to enable this option and will respond with anything I've learned when I come to that. If there is anything that I might have missed or that you might know to help me, again it would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, I want to thank you for making this guide and especially thank you for returning to respond to my needs. You've already been a tremendous help.
I'm making a video as we speak so you can follow along with me. My guide is a bit outdated and I'll be updating it in a sec that will make it less complicated.

X

x0nex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm making a video as we speak so you can follow along with me. My guide is a bit outdated and I'll be updating it in a sec that will make it less complicated.

Thank you so much for your help. I look forward to seeing the video.

S

saxjonz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NICE! Props to you. I just looked all this up online and ordered a female usb that came in yesterday. I have several old usb's. Hopefully one works. I downloaded all the software now I am just waiting for the game. But thanks! I will be sure to read through all of this before I mod.
I just found an old apple ipod 2g. So, I'm good, no trying several flash drives to see if they work.

Last edited:
GTA3

GTA3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im just waiting for my parts to arrive also, have ordered a game, 2gb flash drive and usb to xbox cable, i will live with the original HD for now as my main aim is to be able to play import games, but in the future a HD upgrade will be the way forward with all 3 of my xbox's

Top Bottom
Login
Register