What's new

Tutorial How To Skin Halo 2 Maps

T

Tbone

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
I spent a lot of time writing this all night, enjoy!
I hope this can answer a lot of peoples questions.

Ok to start off you will need the following things:
-Bitmap internalizer
-Dothalo
-Shared.map (you get it off your disk, so you will need to have a softmod installed).
-Adobe photoshop 7 or higher and the dds plugins
-Great program made by limpmybizket that includes dothalo and bitmap internalizer
Here is the trial download for photoshop cs2 if you dont already have a version of photoshop
For Windows
For MAC
DDS Plugin here, to install it go to C/program files/adobe/photoshop(whatever version you have)/adobe photoshop only/extensions and put it there

Download NEW Adobe Photoshop .DDS Plugin Here

Ok now to start skinning, open up dothalo, open up the map you want to start skinning, go to the (bitm) bitmap tag and choose something you want to skin, I will be skinning the spectre.
Once you click on the spectre's tag, a picture of the spectre will show up. If you dont see it, go to Windows at the top, and then arrange default, and you should now see the raw data editor.
Now press extract bitmap, and save it to somewhere that you will remember. Like this:

Ok now you can close the map and re-open it in bitmap internalizer, once opened choose the bitmap you just extracted in dothalo, and use the following settings:

Hit "internalize bitmap"
A sign should now come up congratulating you; you can now close the program.

(NOTE*Close all programs when internalizing the bitmap, it will get screwed up if you dont.)

Now here comes the fun part!

Open up photoshop, now open whatever thing it was that you extracted from dothalo that you want to skin. For me it was the spectre.

At first the layer will be locked and you cant do anything, to solve this problem just double click the little lock logo in the layers palette.

This is what you double click on:

Now start editting to your liking.

I was making an alien mod, there for i did Layer>New Adjustment Layer> Colorbalance, then made it mostly green with a red tint.

Remember to be creative; If you want you can erase everything and put a logo there, or just do a colorbalance like i did, whatever floats your boat, but still remember to BE CREATIVE, and make the skin go along with the theme of your mod. EX. Don't skin your item bright pink if your mod takes place in hell.

Now go> File> Save and make sure it got saved as .dds, it should look like this:

*NOTE* If your save settings aren't the same as these dont worry, I was using an out-dated DDS-Plugin.

Now to inject it back into dot halo:
Open up dothalo.

Go back to the bitmap tag and go back to the tag you extracted in the beginning, for me it was the spectre.

Click on the tag, now look in the raw data editor, and go to inject, now pick the item you edited in photoshop like so: (I just renamed it, it really is the spectre)

You are now done and you have just learned how to skin!!!

T

ThePope43

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Very nice tut, but, if you get a chance, show ppl what you did in PS, to help the get a better feel of what they are doing....

B

Buggass

Reaction score
Sin$
Very nice, but uhmm i cant view the bitmap in dothalo to extract it... help?

*edit* ohh okay raw data collector wasent turned on and i dont have the shared.map, i tryed to get it off my xbox by copying the file from my disk to my hard drive but i guess my disk is too effed up, it still runs but yeah, and i also tryed to ftp it off my disk... dident work eather.. so im stuck till you put up the shared.map file

B

bigmacdaddy120

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
is there any thing elsa that works just like the halo2ip becuase when i open the map and then set everything up and then i have to open the shared.map well when i open the shared.map my freakin computer frezes each time and its starting to piss me off

T

Tbone

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
dont open shared.map, just keep it in the same folder with the map your skinning

B

BboyKnockout

Reaction score
Sin$
bigmacdaddy120's right. it looks like this after i click internalize bitmap

and if i choose my shared map, then it says already internalized... and the map im skinning is in the same folder as shared

thanx in advance!

I

IOM Terminus

Reaction score
Sin$
Dude as long as the tut is readable and understandable i qualifiy it as good!

Pe@ce

edit: and is the right way to do it

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Platinum Record A Milli Tutorial Creator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
QTip05 said:
mine is better, i made mine with a video!
This is my first time reading this, but I would much rather go off of a picture tutorial if its a good one. I read through this tutorial and looks like everything is there. When you make a video, people have to pause it, do what you just did and if they didn't understand it, then they have to go back and play it again. Its a pain in the *** if you ask me.

Good work tbone.

B

Brujo665

Reaction score
Sin$
hey,i would also like the shared.map file,as all i have is a soft mod so im assumong i cant get it off the disc unless i have a bigger hd,and,when i click the link for PS,it says error,all i have is PS version 2,which im assuming doesent work,lol so help a noob out please!if its not too much trouble I would like a p.m. when everything is all uploaded,thanks

B

beastwithin

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
I also need the shared map file plz. By the way great tut i give it three thumbs up wait i cant do that nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! yeah but anyway that would be great if u could put that up cuz ive been wnting to skin for a really long time. Thanks again

F

foxfanatic2317

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
tbone said:
f*** you no one cares and i dont know how to make videos!
amen...videos suck fat **** cuz half the time no one knows what you are doing

ya ummm i skinned all the weapons and vehicles on this map, but they dont show up...is this cuz of the cache files?

how do i fix it?

V

VoOdOo

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
when i try to reinject the bitmap it says save as dds1 or some**** and i actually am saving as it is supposed to be. and BTW videos usually suck because they dont buffer well.

B

Brujo665

Reaction score
Sin$
yeah i am having the same problem as the other guy,i am saving it as .dds and as dxt3 and it keeps saying save as dxt2 or 3 and i realy need help please help me,p.m. me with help Lol thanks,by

R

rf_trauma

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
where do you get shared .map and when i open up the spectre no picture pops up but the raw data editor or w/e is open but blank. im pretty sure i have all the plugins too.

Top Bottom
Login
Register