What's new

Tutorial How to Run Ubuntu 10.10 On Your JTAG/RGH Console!

Nokia

Nokia

[nokia@se7ensins ~]$
Lifetime
Beginning of An Odyssey Stickied Bug Finder
Reaction score
Sin$
This tutorial is for all of the Linux lovers out there who have a homebrew Xbox 360 console.

Download Links:
  • Ubuntu 10.10 Xenon Beta 5: http://file.libxenon.org/free60/linux/distro/ubuntu-10.10-xenon-beta5.zip
  • Efsnu53.png
Install Tutorial:

To install Ubuntu on your homebrew console you are going to need a USB Flash drive or a FTP client/Xbox 360 Neighborhood.
  • Grab a USB Drive (512MB+ Preferred) and plug it into your computer, from here extract the Default.xex and Xell.bin from the XellLaunch folder into the root of your USB device. Next open the Ubuntu 10.10 Xenon Beta 5 zipped file with 7zip or WinRAR and doubble click on the folder named "ubuntu-10.10-xenon-lxde-light-b5.iso," and let it open the ISO file, if you are doing this correctly, your screen should look just like this:
Qygsa1D.png

• When 7zip or WinRAR is done extracting the files you should have a folder named "casper" and a file named "vmlinux."
ukAVmew.png

• Copy these files onto the root of your USB Drive just like before. That's the end of the PC part on this tutorial, from here on out we will be on our Xbox 360 Console. Boot into FSD, Aurora or the default Dashboard and plug in your USB device. Note: If you boot up your console with the USB device plugged in it will launch XellLaunch by default.

• If you are planning on using anything internet related while using Ubuntu on your console you are going to need a wired connection. So before you even try to boot into the OS make sure that you have a good wired connection by navigating to your network settings on the Xbox 360 Dashboard, from here just do a network test and if everything looks clear with no errors you should be good to go.

• Because we are using Ubuntu you probably would like to use a keyboard and mouse, you can use any keyboard and mouse lying around, just plug it into one of the free USB ports on your Xbox 360 Console and move on to the next step.

• Navigate to a file browser of your choice, this can be FTP, Aurora, FSD, XeXMenu or anything else that is capable of launching files from a USB device on your console. From here go to the root of your USB Drive, this can be done in XeXMenu by hitting "RB" until you see the contents of your USB device. Finally hit "A" on the default.xex file, you should now be loading Xell, but this time it might look a little different because XellLaunch changes the colors of things.
xRGKvZb.png

• Xell will do its normal thing and then check for any Xenon.elf files or vmlinux files. Once Xell has found the vmlinux file it will start to load into the Linux OS and you should see this start to appear on your screen:
497mwoo.png

• Now, depending on if you set up a wired connection before will change how long it will take to boot into the Linux OS. When Xell gets done loading these "pre-files," it will start to load the kernel and you will see this on your screen:
8jWuMCi.png

• When the OS gets done loading you will be brought to the Ubuntu home screen, and you are now running a "live" version of the OS. From here you can do whatever your Linux filled heart wishes!

Last edited:
HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
This tutorial is for all of the linux lovers out there who have a homebrew Xbox 360 console.

Download Links:
Install Tutorial:

To install Ubuntu on your homebrew console you are going to need a USB Flash drive or a FTP client such as Xbox 360 Neighborhood.
  • Grab a USB Drive (Preferred) and plug it into your computer, from here extract the Default.xex and Xell.bin from the XellLaunch folder into the root of your USB device. Next open the Ubuntu 10.10 Xenon Beta 5 zipped file with 7zip or WinRAR and doubble click on the folder named "ubuntu-10.10-xenon-lxde-light-b5.iso," and let it open the ISO file, if you are doing this correctly, your screen should look just like this:
Qygsa1D.png

• When 7zip or WinRAR is done extracting the files you should have a folder named "casper" and a file named "vmlinux."
ukAVmew.png

• Copy these files onto the root of your USB Drive just like before. That's the end of the PC part on this tutorial, from here on out we will be on our Xbox 360 Console. Boot into FSD, Aurora or the default Dashboard and plug in your USB device. Note: If you boot up your console with the USB device plugged in it will launch XellLaunch by default.
  • If you are planning on using anything internet related while using Ubuntu on your console you are going to need a wired connection. So before you even try to boot into the OS make sure that you have a good wired connection by navigating to your network settings on the Xbox 360 Dashboard, from here just do a network test and if everything looks clear with no errors you should be good to go.
  • Because we are using Ubuntu you probably would like to use a keyboard and mouse, you can use any keyboard and mouse lying around, just plug it into one of the free USB ports on your Xbox 360 Console and move on to the next step.
  • Navigate to a file browser of your choice, this can be FTP, Aurora, FSD, XeXMenu or anything else that is capable of launching files from a USB device on your console. From here go to the root of your USB Drive, this can be done in XeXMenu by hitting "RB" until you see the contents of your USB device. Finally hit "A" on the default.xex file, you should now be loading Xell, but this time it might look a little different because XellLaunch changes the colors of things.
xRGKvZb.png

• Xell will do its normal thing and then check for any Xenon.elf files or vmlinux files. Once Xell has found the vmlinux file it will start to load into the linux OS and you should see this start to appear on your screen:
497mwoo.png

• Now, depending on if you set up a wired connection before will change how long it will take to boot into the linux OS. When Xell gets done loading these "Pre-Files," it will start to load the kernel and you will see this on your screen:
8jWuMCi.png

• When the OS gets done loading you will be brought to the Ubuntu home screen, and you are now running a "Live" version of the OS. From here you can do whatever your Linux filled heart wishes!
Not going to appeal to many, but great tut None the less. This was the original reason for the JTAG exploit, and should be known how to do it.

Nokia

Nokia

[nokia@se7ensins ~]$
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
For the few that do see this, feel free to post what you plan on doing with it!

Last edited:
redlight

redlight

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the tutorial !!! But When my jtag shutdown, I can reboot on FSD ?

Nokia

Nokia

[nokia@se7ensins ~]$
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the tutorial !!! But When my jtag shutdown, I can reboot on FSD ?
Just unplug the USB device and turn on your xbox to boot back into FSD or the stock dashboard.

NighttimeHawk

NighttimeHawk

Matrix Trident, Icedcube XenochipGC, Slim XDK
Reaction score
Sin$
Everytime i load the default.xex the screen on my console goes black and the center light on my power button on my console goes out. Corona rgh 2.0

HEX1A4

HEX1A4

1A4 = ?
Reaction score
Sin$
Everytime i load the default.xex the screen on my console goes black and the center light on my power button on my console goes out. Corona rgh 2.0
I have a corona as well, you may need to go grab the corona compatible xell from the xebuild folder. Should be something like xell-gggggggggg.bin but don't quote me on that.

Nokia

Nokia

[nokia@se7ensins ~]$
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
here is a link but not tested.
didnt work, maybe i grabbed the wrong one.
well, i could not get that xell to work on my corona, maybe someone else will have better luck...
I have not had the time to do tests with this on a corona board, I'll RGH one this week and take a look at it.
Edit: I've been busy this week, when I get my next shipment of chips in I'll give it a test.

Last edited:
J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
Sin$
I've actually tried to boot linux before, but it kept getting stuck at one point. I heard it was caused by a bug in the CPU. I'll try your release today, hope that it works better!

Also, this is probably the post with the most typos I've ever posted! (before I edited it, I mean)

Nokia

Nokia

[nokia@se7ensins ~]$
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
I've actually tried to boot linux before, but it kept getting stuck at one point. I heard it was caused by a bug in the CPU. I'll try your release today, hope that it works better!
Awesome! Let me know how it goes! I've had it get stuck in the past before as well, but I haven't had any issue in the past few years. We may have just had a bad version, but you might be right about it being a bug in the CPU causing the loader to hang.

lol

lol

Was Here
Reaction score
Sin$
You might be referring to the spinlock problem. I think it was fixed in the newest release of the xenon-beta. Although it still happens, just not as much. Just reboot and try again if it happens.

Anyway Nokia Nokia if you find a way to run ubuntu 14.xx on the xbox, You'll officially be an xbox God.

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
Sin$
You might be referring to the spinlock problem. I think it was fixed in the newest release of the xenon-beta.
Yes, that's what I meant, though there is another problem I encountered.
Awesome! Let me know how it goes!
I tried it on 4 consoles.
1. Corona V3, the first two times it got stuck somewhere after the DHCP request, but my TV cut off the bottom of the screen, so I didn't see exactly what it was on (tried both Xell and XellLaunch), though it booted on the third attempt (regular eject button Xell)
2. Falcon RGH1.2, booted first try (regular Xell)
3. Falcon RGH2, booted first try (regular Xell)
4. Falcon RGH1, booted fist try (regular Xell)
****, I've got a lot of Falcons!
Anyway, thanks for this share! I'm glad there's a finally working*ish Linux distro for the 360. :smile:

Nokia

Nokia

[nokia@se7ensins ~]$
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, that's what I meant, though there is another problem I encountered.

I tried it on 4 consoles.
1. Corona V3, the first two times it got stuck somewhere after the DHCP request, but my TV cut off the bottom of the screen, so I didn't see exactly what it was on (tried both Xell and XellLaunch), though it booted on the third attempt (regular eject button Xell)
2. Falcon RGH1.2, booted first try (regular Xell)
3. Falcon RGH2, booted first try (regular Xell)
4. Falcon RGH1, booted fist try (regular Xell)
****, I've got a lot of Falcons!
Anyway, thanks for this share! I'm glad there's a finally working*ish Linux distro for the 360. :smile:
Good to hear! I've tried it on all phat's and my main trinity, so it's nice to know that it's sort of working on corona's as well. I've had no issue's with my trinity thus far.

Top Bottom
Login
Register