What's new

Tutorial how to root droid x

Troll

Troll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This is a GUI program to root/unroot your DroidX phone. No Android SDK install required. All drivers are installed if needed.
Just two buttons, ROOT and UNROOT! Follow the instructions on the screen and you'll be rooted in a matter of seconds!

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE USB DEBUGGING ENABLED UNDER System > Applications > Development ON YOUR PHONE!
EDIT: If it doesn't root and you are turning Bluetooth on and off, try turning WiFi on/off instead!

Microsoft Windows only. You need the .NET 3.5 Framework but Vista and Windows 7 already come with the framework.
Enjoy!

YOU MUST EXTRACT ALL OF THE FOLDERS, ETC. THEN RUN! OTHERWISE IT WON'T WORK.
RIGHT CLICK AND RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

Edit: Windows XP, Mac OSX and Ubuntu Linux Support Coming Soon

Edit: MediaFire link for those w/o an account. (edit by rainabba: we've opened downloads to guests!)

Edit: Still give props to Birdman and the rest of the community. This is simply putting their work (with some modifications to exploid) to use.
Edit: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone. Please use at your own risk.
At the moment, rootshell is left on the device for easy unrooting. It is modified so that only my program may use it, however, if someone does
figure out away around using rootshell, I am not held responsible. This feature will be replaced with using su in the next release!

Edit:
Warning: Apparently if some /system/app .apks are missing when you try to update, the update will fail. Please do not remove /system/app .apk
unless you have backed your phone up (I made this mistake with the original root =[ haha). Next version will automatically backup for /system/app folder to your /sdcard/. I'll try to post a working backup folder for those who didn't back it up.

** Required for .604 update **
  • CityID
  • CarDock
  • Blockbuster
  • Mobile 3G Hotspot
  • Visual Voicemail
Screeny:
r6Ofs.png
source:http://alldroid.org/...0&g=posts&t=553
download: [link]http://alldroid.org/...urce.ashx?a=137[/link]

xMechgamerx123x

xMechgamerx123x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
so what's the point of rooting the droid x as of now? just do update to the leaked froyo? also, with the unroot me option, will that boot into recovery mode?

Troll

Troll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
so what's the point of rooting the droid x as of now? just do update to the leaked froyo? also, with the unroot me option, will that boot into recovery mode?
there are many reasons to root, such as being able to use root only apps...such and barnacle, setcpe, etc

unroot will remove the superuser permissions...

xMechgamerx123x

xMechgamerx123x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
so is it true about what moto said with the x not being to be upgradable to an official 2.2 kernel? or that it will be non downgradable?

Troll

Troll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
well if you have an unofficial 2.2, you will not get the 2.2 ota update, but you can downgrade to stock by flashing the default 2.1 see HERE

note* downgrading(reflashing) your phone will completely reset it to "out of the box" condition...

Top Bottom
Login
Register