What's new

Tutorial How to play Xbox Original games on your RGH/JTAG.

• Thread starter IRONM3TALM0DD3R
  • Start date
  • Views 64,653
IRONM3TALM0DD3R

IRONM3TALM0DD3R

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Sin$
You might have been a fan of some of the Xbox Original games back in the day, I know I was. Its a massive pain when you get rid of your Xbox and upgrade to a Xbox 360 and then lose the ability to play pretty awesome games that where only playable on the Xbox Original. If you follow this tutorial and have a RGH/JTAG. I'll show you how to be able to play the majority of those games once again :biggrin:

You want to go to this site sign up and download the two files - http://www.realmodscene.com/index.p...lay-xbox1-classic-xbox-games-on-your-jtagrgh/
rkdnpd.jpg

If you haven't already download Xbox 360 ISO extract from here - http://xbox-360-iso-extract.en.lo4d.com/ - This will be used to extract data from the ISO that can be placed on your Xbox 360 HDD and be playable.

You want to extract hdd_compat_partition_fixer_v1 to an accessible area of your choice. For me i prefer Desktop. Once you have extracted -using 7zip or an alternative- you want to copy and paste the 3 files onto a USB stick or ftp them to the root of your HDD.

Once you have done that, launch the default.xex from within the hdd_compat_partition_fixer_v1 file. This screen will then pop up -
2dboz9x.png
When it does press A. (If you have anything in your HDDx it will be overwritten. This will not affect any games etc that are on your HDD though) Once you press A it should then show this -
voyfzs.png
It should only take a min or two to complete. When it has you'll see this -
2exq1hs.png
Press B to exit and then turn your console off and then back on.

Ok, so you've successfully completed the first part in getting your RGH/JTAG ready to play original Xbox games. Well done :biggrin:. Next you want to copy the Compatibility file from xb1_5829_nov_2007 folder that you downloaded and put it on a USB stick or ftp the file over to HDDx. (If HDDx is not showing go to Freestyle Dash -> settings -> General Settings -> ensure that the box next to "File Manager Advanced Mode (flash,sysext,hddx)" is ticked

Congrats! you have finished making your Xbox 360 RGH/JTAG xbox original game friendly. :biggrin:. Next i'll show you how to get the original xbox games working properly :smile:

Head over to http://www.theisozone.com/ and click on the "Downloads tab" and select "xbox Isos" look or search for a game of your choice (they have a big selection!) Once you find a game thats to your liking click on the "mirror" button to download the game. -
2uho6r5.jpg
Some games are as small as 1gb so download does not take very long.

Next you want to extract the iso from whatever game you downloaded. For example I downloaded True Crime New York City. -
10o2v0j.jpg

Next you want to open up XBOX360 ISO EXTRACT that you downloaded earlier. Once opened you want to click on "choose ISO folder" you then want to go to where you saved the ISO that you extracted for whatever game. (I have color coded where those files are for me in regards to using XBOX360 ISO EXTRACT) -
nnvgia.jpg
->
1h73px.jpg

Next you want to click on "Choose Destination" This simply means that when XBOX360 ISO EXTRACT has finished extracting game files, it will save them to the area that you choose. I advise creating a folder named exactly to what the ISO is called and saving that folder as the destination. -
15qfb50.jpg

->
2qs8cwx.jpg

Next you want to click on "go" you will see the progress bar start to go up as the extraction approaches completion -
wbb6uf.png

Congrats on getting this far! Next hopefully the ISO extraction should be complete and in its designated folder -
8yxde8.jpg
->
2z9hb7k.jpg
->
2m4dnyf.jpg

Next you want to copy the folder that you saved the extraction files to and put it on a USB or ftp them over to the "Games" folder on your HDD.

Next go to FSD (freestyle dash), go to "settings", go to "content settings" and click on "Manage game paths" Once you've done this, press "Y" to add a new path. click on "Change Path" and click on whatever device you have stored your game be it HDD or USB. For this example we will say its stored on HDD and in games folder. So game path would look like this. HDD -> Games -> True Crime New York City (Press "Y" to "select directory" on the "default.xbe" in the folder of the game you transferred" Once you have done this set the scan depth to the amount of folders you've clicked on to get to the "default.xbe" in this case the scan depth would be 3.Scroll down to "retail" and Devkit and tick "xbox classic" in both.

Go into the "games" folder of wherever you saved the original xbox game to and click on "default.xbe" to launch it.

Congratulations on getting to the end and unlocking a great part of your RGH/JTAG. Enjoy those awesome original xbox games,

IRON. :biggrin::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Kaloggero

Kaloggero

Reaction score
Sin$
I have already extracted the .ISO Giles with isotogod, Will they work?

S

Sputnik8

Reaction score
Sin$
Maybe a weird question but do xbox system link games work with this?

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Mythical Veteran Trifecta TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
It should be noted that this tutorial is outdated. You'd actually want to use the newer hacked backwards compatibility files from July 2011.
Will this work with actual Xbox Original game discs?
Yes. However, most people I know just extract the games to ones JTAG/RGH HDD from the game disc.
I have already extracted the .ISO Giles with isotogod, Will they work?
Yes. I have my games extracted as well whether they be from actual discs or from .iso's.
Maybe a weird question but do xbox system link games work with this?
Do you mean like hooking up two RGH's via system link and then having them both launch an OG xbox game like Halo 2? Never tried it, but I would guess it would work. As far as LiNK goes, I don't know if it supports any OG xbox games. As far as xlink kai goes, I don't know if that is still around or not and if it is, it might just be for soft or hard modded OG xbox's.

S

Sputnik8

Reaction score
Sin$
Do you mean like hooking up two RGH's via system link and then having them both launch an OG xbox game like Halo 2? Never tried it, but I would guess it would work. As far as LiNK goes, I don't know if it supports any OG xbox games. As far as xlink kai goes, I don't know if that is still around or not and if it is, it might just be for soft or hard modded OG xbox's.

I bought 7 boxes and RGH'd them. Will use them for LAN party's with my old IT colleagues. We are getting old and sitting on a couch is more comfy. Xbox has better link games than the 360 i think. At least more variety . The 360 is 90% shooters.

Or else the alternative will be building a stealth server wich i will only use twice a year.

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Will use them for LAN party's with my old IT colleagues.
I never tried it, but I'm pretty confident that it would work just fine especially if it is LAN as opposed to something like LiNK or xlink kai.

M

mos123

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi I followed all the steps but whenever I try to start the game it says the game couldnt start try downloading the game again so I did and I even tried a different download but it wont start up

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi I followed all the steps but whenever I try to start the game it says the game couldnt start try downloading the game again so I did and I even tried a different download but it wont start up
It should be noted that this tutorial is outdated. You'd actually want to use the newer hacked backwards compatibility files from July 2011.

If the game still doesn't work even on the July 2011 files, then I would say that the game just can't be played even with emulation. I've faced similar problems with certain games. When trying to run Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, for example, it would run at a super-fast speed no matter what I tried. When trying to run Cold Fear, even on the July 2011 files, the game would just crash every time. However, both of these games work fine on my softmodded OG xbox.

2liftheavy

2liftheavy

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$

Make sure you get the 2011 version hack
Also make sure the compatibility folder is in your HDDX location

R

randall77

Reaction score
Sin$
so do I have to put the games on my hdd to play them or can I just use a usb to play them??????????

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
so do I have to put the games on my hdd to play them or can I just use a usb to play them??????????
USB will work fine actually. The 2011 compat files need to go in HDDX as shown above^

R

randall77

Reaction score
Sin$
i still cant get this to work it comes up game could not start download again any one know why?

R

randall77

Reaction score
Sin$
all I get now is a black screen does that mean the game don't work???????????????????

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
all I get now is a black screen does that mean the game don't work???????????????????
Some games simply don't work even with the hacked emulator files. For example, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast will run at an over-the-top speed whereas the game Cold Fear will crash upon a good two minutes into the game. Just the way it is with some OG xbox games on modded 360's.

R

randall77

Reaction score
Sin$
so why do I get a black screen nothing comes up at all just black???????????????????///

Zolfe

Zolfe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Question the game I am trying to play is backwards compatible so why do I get a black screen when I start the game? 
Some games simply don't work even with the hacked emulator files. For example, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast will run at an over-the-top speed whereas the game Cold Fear will crash upon a good two minutes into the game. Just the way it is with some OG xbox games on modded 360's.
Question the game I am trying to play is backwards compatible so why do I get a black screen when I start the game?

Top Bottom
Login
Register