Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Magicman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Supplies you need:

A PC with a working dialup connection, running Windows XP Should work on Vista as well
An Ethernet Cable, long enough to reach your Xbox360 (For the uninitiated, these have plugs that look like bigger phone cord plugs)
Xbox 360.

How to Make it work

To pull it off, you need to connect the 360 to your PC using the Ethernet cable. Power up the 360 and the PC if they aren't already on. "Fire" up that dialup connection, and get ready to work the magic.

Open the Control Panel in Windows, then go to Network and Internet Connections.
Open Network Setup Wizard, press next.
Ignore the checklist and press next, then select "This computer connects directly to the Internet.".
Press next, and select your dialup connection as the way you connect to the Internet.
Press next again, and select "Local Area Connection" as your private connection.
Leave any names for your PC alone, and click next.
Leave the workgroup name alone, click Next.
Turn on file and printer sharing if you want to stream videos from your PC to the 360, click next.
Review the settings, and click next to apply them.
Let them apply, and select the last option that pops up, something like "I do not need to run Network Setup Wizard on the other computers."
Reboot your PC then re-dial-up if necessary.

This tread is good if your high speed is out or, you don't have it in your area.

S

Saiyan

Reaction score
Sin$
the lag would be horrible, you probably would not be able to connect to people anyways.

S y N I K a L

S y N I K a L

/ˈsɪn·ɪ·kəl/
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
Hmmmm... I wonder how bad the lag is on dial-up :speechless:

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I know somebody who's done this, you'd be surprised ... because he never gets host and he's connecting to people with massive uploads it works better than you'd assume.

S y N I K a L

S y N I K a L

/ˈsɪn·ɪ·kəl/
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
SiK GambleR said:
I know somebody who's done this, you'd be surprised ... because he never gets host and he's connecting to people with massive uploads it works better than you'd assume.

and if someone bridged him host you might as well kill yourself.

M

Magicman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It does not lag that much It lagges less than hughes net.

I use this when high speed is out.

punkskater2448

punkskater2448

Taking Over The World
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Wow. I could not even begin to imagine playing on a dial up speed. People still have dial up?:confused:cared:

S

ShortBusRyder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's great this is possible, but who would want to?

Z

Zer0-One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sin$
lol. if you became host on dial-up....

Player 1: where is everyone??
Player 2: Hello??
Player 3: WTF? I'm getting hit out of nowhere!!
Player 4: lol! those Mother****ers don't even see me!

B-rad

B-rad

Press On
Legendary Veteran 10th Anniversary Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Well it's good to know that someone with dial-up could still play live but I don't know who would want to spend every other game running into a wall.

M

Magicman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It is for people that dont have high speed in there area yet. And the lag is not that bad. when the high speed was out for like a week i used it. I was steal able to talk to my friends and everything just it skiped a few times thats all.

T

Tommy D

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
someone close this! and edit the first post!

H

hotgirls

Reaction score
Sin$
lol please god no. Buy highspeed and if it's not available just don't play. Imagine how bad that will be to play a 3d fps game on dialup. probably very bad. :confused:cared:

P

PHiNiX88

Reaction score
Sin$
people, understand that xboxlive takes about 10mb an hour to run a game....so once you are in playin you really wont see a ton of lag...only issues would prob be with friends list downloads or any other bandwidth heavy activity

T

tactr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
PHiNiX88 said:
people, understand that xboxlive takes about 10mb an hour to run a game....so once you are in playin you really wont see a ton of lag...only issues would prob be with friends list downloads or any other bandwidth heavy activity
I find that rather hard to believe. So you're saying all the host info updating and such is only 10mb of activity? WHy then is comcast trying to throttle video gamers who use too much upload?

Gaming requires a LOT of bandwidth, and private xbl/party chats hog up even more...

Noupoi

Noupoi

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Let me get this straight... You're talking about 56k dial-up? :confused:cared:

F

freaky deeky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Online Gaming doesnt use as much bandwidth as you guys think....... Once when my cable was out during a storm and there was nothing else to do me and my roommate used ICS and wired my ATT cell to my pc and then to my wireless router and we both was able to sign in to xbox live and play gears of war 2... dont get me wrong it was on a 3g connection and soon as it switched to edge my roommate was signed out of xbox live and the voice communication on my xbox started breaking up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register