How to Mod Halo3 Usermaps

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Modding Tutorials' started by RvB rox, Jan 28, 2009 with 20 replies and 8,819 views.

1. RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    How to Mod Halo 3 Usermaps.
    This tutorial will teach you EVERYTHING you need in order to mod usermaps(maps made by the user) in halo 3.

First off, lets make sure we have everything you need.
    **IMPORTANT**
    Anything that will allow you to transfer files from you xbox 360 harddrive, to your computer. You will need one of the following:
    Xport - [Click here to view the link]

Xsata - [Click here to view the link]

An Xbox 360 transfer cable
    Found here: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/xbox-360-discussion/103418-free-xbox-transfer-cable-microsoft.html
    Or, you can call up 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and ask for one. It is free.

Ok good. Now that you have something that can help you transfer files from your computer to your xbox, or your xbox to your computer. Now we need something that will enable you to browse files on your xbox 360 harddrive. you will need one of the following software.

Xport360
    Download here - http://us.codejunkies.com/support/article.aspx?article_id=272

Xplorer360 extreme 2 - [Click here to view the link]

Great! now you have everything you need to transfer files from your xbox to your computer. Now lets try to find out where Halo 3 is. (since that is what we will be modding. If you would like to find out where other files are, then download xport and use that. it tells you the names of the game next to it.)

For this tutorial, i am going to be using Xplorer360 Extreme 2, and an xbox transfer cable from microsoft. I am also using a 120gb harddrive thus proving that you can use a 120gb. hdd with xplorer 360.

[Click here to view the link]

Connect them to your harddrive and your computer so it looks like this.
    lol just saw that my toe was there. ignor the fact that my comp is wide open and there is no cover lol

Ok, now that your hard drive is connected, open up xplorer 360 and go to Drive < Open < Harddrive or Memcard...

It should now look something like this

Double Click Parition 3 and it should look like this. It is ok if the folder compatiblity is not there but dont delete it. Thats the folder for xbox 1 games. it is also ok if the dates in the folder are not the same.

Next go to Content< one of the folders, there, just look through them, and find 4D5307E6. Click on that and then go to the only folder that is in it. That is 00000001. You should now see something like this. Everyything in this folder are your gametypes, forge maps (usermaps) and films/clips for halo 3.

Now find the usermap you wish to mod. It will be names usermap00000000 and then have a bunch of numbers and letters at the end. Your map also will be 116kb if you just saved it as a new map, or it will be 176kb if you have done "Save Changes" to that map before. So look through your maps, and find which map it is. Also, look through the date it was saved to make it a little easier. Also, your latest map will be at the bottom if you clicked "Name" at the top.

Now click and drag that to where ever you want it to be. ie. your desktop.

Now you are ready to start actually modding the map!
    Download this program.
    Forge 2.5 -
    Code:
    http://rs5.rapidshare.com/files/130620238/Forge_2.3.rar
    that program came from here
    http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/halo-3-modding-programs/101200-release-forge-2-5-a.html

Open up forge and will look like this

At the top left now, go to File < Open, and then select your usermap. you may select more then one usermap if you wish to edit more then one.

Once you open your usermap, it should look like this with your usermap name, author, and description. You can not change the current, or max budget

Now i want to change spawn points to jump pads (jump pads ar the gravity lifts on sandtrap that you can make), weapon holders, radio sets, sender nodes and fusion coils to beacons, change the location of a receiver node, and i also want to make gosts and mongooses to an elephant, and resupply capsules to elites.. so lets do that.

First lets go make respawn points jump pads.
    i go to the scenery tag, and go to respawn points.

Now at the right you will see item properties and coordinates. In the item properties, you can not change the item cost, design time maximum, or really the count on the map. if you want to make a new item of that, the go to add chunk. but if you do that you are going to need to know the coords of it. So the only simple thing to do is swap it. (I will get on how to do that in a minute. To do that is to make something spawn somewhere instead of something else.) Now in Coordinates, you can change the Respawn time, how many spare cllips are in it (in case its a weapon) and the team. Dont change the chunk type of the tag index unless you really know what you are doing. So dont really mess with the coorinates box yet.

Ok, now we are ready to make something things spawn somewhere instead of something else. For example, i want the jump pad to spawn everywhere that spawn points are, but i dont want the respawn points there anymore. so like i said before,
    In the item properties, you will see 2 drop down boxes. The one at the left is the tag type, and the one on the right is the tag itself (the ident i think) so now lets select the respawn point and then change that to the bloc tag, and the jump pad.

Yay! now we have Jump pads where the spawn points used to be!
    Now i am just going to change everything else i needed to what i need them to be.

Now lets go on to changing coordinates. i want to make it so when you go thru a teleporter, you go really high up in the sky. i dont know sandtraps maximum limit, so i am going to just change it to 500 because last i changed it to 1000 it did not work. i think valhalla works at 1000

so lets go to the receiver node and change it.

As you can see, the Z spawn cord (that is hight) is currently at -14.16524. i want to change it to 500. so this part is pretty obvious on what to do. if there was more then 1 recieve node on the map, and i only wanted to change 1 certain node, then i would change the placement chunk. but since there is only 1, i stay at chunk 0

now i changed it to 500. and notice i checked off place at start.

Great! We are now done with forge so you can X out of it. No we just have to resign the map which is simple.
    Download this resigner by feudalate found here - http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/halo-3-modding-programs/115365-app-concept.html
    DOWNLOAD at one of the following

Now open up CONceptV.2. Then where it says "Current CON file, go to open, and open your map.

Now at the bottom left, click Rehash/Resign and X out of CONcept.

Now if you want to keep your other map, but also want to keep this map, you may rename it. Just make sure it starts with "usermap00000000" and then has 9 letters/numbers after it.

• Like Like x 5
  2. NicksMods

NicksMods Contributor

Ratings:
    I just click resign and it works, what does rehashing do?

and btw this looks A LOT like mine lol, but either way good tut

3. OP
    RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    yeh it does look like yours. i just noticed that lol

4. darkFX

darkFX Contributor

Ratings:
    Why is this in Glitches?

5. eXo CLAN

eXo CLAN Newbie

Ratings:
  6. jaden360

jaden360 Newbie

Ratings:
    heyy i did what you said but when i open xplorer360 and do open and then the other thing it says fatx drive not found how do you fix this?

i have windows vista

7. Xpargas

Xpargas Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Right click and run as admin

8. jaden360

jaden360 Newbie

Ratings:
    When i right click wat do i click on to run as admin windows vista is very confusing lol

Okay i have the thing open but when i double click parttine 3 nothing comes up like in ur thing that shows content link?

I double click on the thing but nothing comes up with a thing to click content?

9. coder1

coder1 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Amazing tut for modding virgins!

10. mevering

mevering Newbie

Ratings:
  11. Nowise

Nowise Enthusiast

Ratings:
    When I try to Rehash/Resign on the Concept it says "User Defined Key Vault Not Found" What should I do now?

12. Xpargas

Xpargas Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Make sure you keep the 2 KVs that are in the download with concept in the same place as you keep the concept.exe

13. VvIVIatthewvV

VvIVIatthewvV Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I've done everything in the tutu but when i load the map on halo i get a black screen can someone help?

14. yer daddy

yer daddy Newbie

Ratings:
    i have vista aswell,right click it then you click run as administrator,open up partition 3,go to content and then to ur profile id and drag/extract your stuff to your comp

Now at the bottom left, click Rehash/Resign and X out of CONcept.

Now if you want to keep your other map, but also want to keep this map, you may rename it. Just make sure it starts with "usermap00000000" and then has 9 letters/numbers after it.[/QUOTE]

i have to save it everytime i change suthing because i do and everytime i try the map only like 2 of the modded item works??

15. CPT Blount

CPT Blount Newbie

Ratings:
    "At the top left now, go to File < Open, and then select your usermap. you may select more then one usermap if you wish to edit more then one."

ok i got this far and when i opened forge and clicked open it a message appeared that said

" Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. if you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. if you click quit, the application will close immediatley."

and i clicked continue adn it just closed the message.... i waited for a wile figureing mabye it was just taking a wile to load.....
    umm can anyone help me please?? i am new to modding so.....

16. Anthraxbomb

Anthraxbomb Newbie

Ratings:
    My computer doesn't know what program to use in order to open Forge. What is it?

17. OP
    RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    Forge is a program......

18. twonaked

twonaked Enthusiast

Ratings:
    :.( Dude when i try to open the file in forge it gives me the error message "object refrence not set to an instance of an object, i just got xport & im kinda new to moddin. Im also lookin the the .map files. somone please pm me with a lil help!! or msg my gt - two ****d panda

19. OP
    RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    you cant mod the .map files. only CON files.

20. chocolate cakex

chocolate cakex Newbie

Ratings:
    try using xport 360... I had that same problem:cursing: