How to mod a WII (NEW TUT WITH 3.4 fix)

Discussion in 'Wii & Wii U Modding' started by theroach, Feb 13, 2009 with 66 replies and 14,362 views.

1. theroach

theroach Gewinator Premium

Ratings:
    How to mod a WII (NEW TUT WITH 3.4 fix) no modchip

This works with 3.3 also. If your using under 3.2 I would just upgrade all the way and start from there fallowing my tut. If you use this please hit the thank you button.

WHAT THIS DOES:

Allows you to play emulators, Backup WII and gamecube games, Play dvd's. WITHOUT A MODCHIP.

Things you'll need:

1. SD card - You can buy the actual WII sd card but your best off ordering from new egg and getting a nice 8g or so if your going to run emulators.
    2. SD card reader for your pc
    3. Legend of Zelda Twilight princess
    4. DVD-R discs for backup games
    5. WIFI connection if you have 3.3 or 3.4 version WII
    Everyone Needs to do this step.

First thing your going to need to do is get the homebrew channel on your WII. The homebrew is where you will go when launching backup games and emulators. You can also run dvd's through homebrew because NINTENDO thought it was a good idea to get rid of that feature.

On the back of your ZELDA game there is a serial number which tells you what region of game you have. This is important. If you have RVL-RZDE-0A-2, then you would load the TwlightHack2 save. So if your Zelda region code ends in "0" then load the TwlightHack0 save. If your Zelda region code ends in "2", then load the TwlightHack2 save - simple enough.

Homebrew for versions - 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 firmware:
    Okay its time to find out what version you have. Go into the "WII SETUP." You should see one of these, Ver 3.2U, Ver 3.3U or Ver 3.4U. It might say like 3.2E that means its a Europe WII no big deal considering this works for both. Next download the files that are for your version. There in compressed files. Uncompress them and copy them into the root of your SD card. Here are links for the files.

THESE ARE NOT MY UPLOADS! I have used them with no problems though.

Files for version 3.2

Files for for version 3.3

Files for version 3.4

For the 3.2 files, the directory will already be ready to go for you. For 3.3 and 3.4, you will need to copy the directories and files from both .zip and .gz and make sure they're copy onto your SD card like this:
    + private
    + wiiload
    boot.elf (3.2) or boot.dol (if you have 3.3 or 3.4 you only need one or the other though)

• Copy those files and directories onto your SD card and then put the SD into your Wii.
    • Boot up the Wii and go to "Wii Options" - "Data Management", then Wii.
    • Click on the "SD Card" tab and Copy the Twilight Hack save onto your Wii. If you have a USA one, copy the USA save. If you have a Japanese Wii, the copy the Jap save and if you're in Europe, copy the EUR save. (If you have a 3.3 or 3.4 WII do not shut it off before running the twighlight hack. The WII started to get smart with the updates and will delete the files automatically once rebooted.)
    • Boot up Zelda and load up the save that corresponds to your copy of Legend of Zelda (example, if you have RVL-RZDE-0A-0, then load the TwlightHack0 save and if you have the RVL-RZDE-0A-2, then load the TwlightHack2 save. Click Start.
    • Now the game will start. Just walk backward while in gameplay and you should boot into the mod screen
    • Follow the instructions and next time to reboot your Wii, you'll see the Homebrew Channel

Installing the WiiGator (backup game launcher)
    (If you are running a 3.3 or 3.4 WII skip down to the bottom and downgrade to 3.2 first.)

Get all the files for backup loader [Click here to view the link]

Delete all the files on your SD card they will not be needed anymore. Unzip the 002fixGammerLoader.zip file and copy it to your SD card. Put the SD card in your Wii, start the Homebrew Channel and run the (cIOS Installer.) Follow the instructions and when its finished, go back to the Homebrew channel and install the (Backup Launcher.) After that's is finished you can reboot. Go into homebrew channel and there should be a program called (backuplauncher.) Before you boot your game make sure you select your appropriate settings.

How to Downgrade 3.4 or 3.3 to the working 3.2 firmware

Only do this if you are 3.3 or 3.4

If you upgraded your wii then your probably experiencing problems right now with WII backups and emulators. Run through these steps to fix it.

Steps to FIX your Wii firmware:

What you need

[Click here to view the link]
    IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad - DONT ASK ME FOR THIS FILE!!!!!! You can find it on google.

Step 1: Update your Wii to the latest version.

Step 2: Go into the homebrew channed and open wad manager.

Step 3: Hit the A button and the wii will read the sd card. Hit A again and it should bring up the wads on the card. Go to IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad
    and hit the + button. Once you have installed it hit the home button and the wii will restart.

Step 4: Go to the hombrew channel again and open up (custom manager.) Load up the SD card wads again and go to (cIOS_Fix.wad.) Hit the + button again and it will install.
    Hit the home button again and it will restart your WII. (If this will not install go ahead and install it using the (WAD MANAGER) Instad of the (Custom Manager.)

Step 5: Go into the hombrew channel again and open up (IOS Downgrader.) Follow the simple instructions and wait for it to download.

STEP 6: Again go into the homebrew channel and open up (Shop IOSs51.) Select Yes to install IOs51 by hitting A. Also select yes to install the IOS patch.
    SELECT NO AND DO NOT INSTALL THE WII SHOP CHANNEL.

Step 7: Open up homebrew channel again and go into wad manager. Install the new WAD MANAGER 1.3. This makes it to where the WII can again load wads and all
    homebrew apps will work properly now.

Now if you use “WiiGator” or the “Backup Loader”, using the Homebrew Channel, install ‘cIOS Installer’. This updates the ‘cIOS_Fix’ that was previously installed.

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO DOWNGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE.

Step 1: Continuing on open up homebrew channel again and go into (firmware downgrader.)

Step 2: Hit the A button and it should bring up a list of versions you can downgrade to. I would downgrade to one of these versions! Once done hit the home button and restart
    your wii.

- 3.2J = Japan Firmware
    - 3.2U = American Firmware
    - 3.2E = Europe Firmware

(If you change to a different Region (3.3E to 3.2U) once it finishes installing you need to click yes to the option it brings up to change region settings or you will
    be bricked.)

Step 3: Open homebrew channel again and go into (Install Shop I0s51

Step 4: select yes and install IOs51 by hitting a then do the same and install the IOS patch. Also hit yes and install the WII shop channel.

Step 5: Open up homebrew and go into (MII channel updater.) Select yes and install (updated MII Channel) by hitting A.

YOUR DONE!. You are now running firmware 3.2 and can use the MII channel and Shop channel again. If you havent installed WII gator go a head and get to that so you can run your backups.

Backing up your Original Wii Games

THINGS YOU NEED.

A compatible dvd drive that can read WII games. I am sure there are others out but I happen to have saved these for reference from a site but cant remember where. These are ones that are known
    to work. New egg does not sell these anymore so the link is to a place to buy em.

link: [Click here to view the link]

* LG-8164b
    * LG-8163b
    * LG-8162b
    * LG-8161b

*Raw dump 2.0 - Google and download

.net Framework 2.0 - Google and download

* Winrar - Google and download

To start things off! Once rawdump2.0 is done right click it and hit (extract to rawdump2.0" and you will have a folder now on your desktop called raw dump.

Now put your WII game in your drive. (has to be one of the selected above, If you find out yours works please pm me with the model and I will update this.)

From here your going to open up the rawdump folder on your desktop and run rawdump.

After raw dump is started simply click (start dump.) Depending on your computer this process can take awhile. I would say around 3 hours average. It will alert you when its done and now inside
    the rawdump folder on your desktop you will have the ISO. Its ready to burn.

IMPORTANT STEP! Check the size of your iso!(right click and hit properties.)

Nintendo Wii ISO size: 4.37 GB (4,699,979,776 bytes).

Nintendo Gamecube ISO size: 1.35 GB (1,459,978,240 bytes)

They have to be this exact size. No matter where you get the iso! Or its no good!

If you dont have one of those specific
    drives you can try this method.

Things you will need.

WII dumper - Google it and install just like everything else. (thorugh homebrew channel)

• Go to the Homebrew Channel
    • Go to the WAD Manager
    • Go to the "Wii Dumper" and install it. Follow the on-screen instructions
    • Your Wii will reboot and you'll see a new "Wii Dumper" channel
    • Load the Wii Dumper
    • There you will find 2 ways to dump games. WIFI and an SD card option
    Burn the actual ISO of WII games. All WII games are exactly the same size as well. Same goes with the size of gamecube games.

Wii Iso size: 4.37 [Click here to view the link] (4,699,979,776 bytes).

Gamecube ISO size: 1.35 GB (1,459,978,240 bytes)

Another great thing about the WII is it does not care what region of the game you have (NTSC, JAP, PAL) Just burn the actual iso file as an image. Inside the WII gator options you will see an option that says "FORCE REGION" or something like that. Just select your region( NTSC, JAP, PAL) and it will boot it up for you. The only thing that matters is make sure your games in english.

How to enable dvd playback.

Hopefully by now you have realized all the programs you want to run in homebrew go into the APP folder. Simply open your sd card, Go into the APP folder and create a new sub folder. Name that folder whatever program your wanting to run and place the programs (boot.dol) file inside.

WHAT YOU NEED.

Place the dvdx folder inside your App folder. You will open that up with homebrew and install it. Once that is installed simply run the
    Mplayer in homebrew and enjoy DVD playback. Both files need to be in the apps folder in there own folder.

How to run emulators And backups.
    [Click here to view the link] [Click here to view the link] Download to run WII backups.
    [Click here to view the link] Download to run gamecube backups.

I can go into real deep detail about this if needed but I am going to try and keep it simple. Find a emulator pack on the net.

Here are a list of working WII emulators.

Snes9X GX Edition Super Nintendo SNES roms for Wii & Gamecube
    exp-N64 Play Nintendo 64 Roms on Wii / GC
    VBA-VisualBoy Advance GCE Gameboy Advance Rom Emulator for Gamecube Wii
    Mupen64GC N64 Game Emulator for GameCube
    FCE Ultra GC NES rom emulator Nintendo Entertaiment System
    Genesis Plus Sega Genesys for Nintendo Wii / Gamecube
    GnuboyGX GBC roms Gameboy Color for Gamecube
    GBA EMU+ GAB roms GameBoy Advance for Gamecube
    GBQ GameBoy Mono for Gamecube
    Hu-Go GC Turbo Grafix 16 / PC Engine for Gamecube
    NeoPop NeoGeo Pocket Color for Gamecube
    GBSM GameBoy Advance for Gamecube
    NeoGeo CD NeoGeo CD for Gamecube
    SMSPlus Sega Master System Emulator for Gamecube

Once you have your emulator open up your SD card. You should have an APPS folder open that up. Inside there is where your going to place your emulators and wii gator from the file above. You need to create a folder inside the app folder (for example for the snex emulator you should have a folder inside the APPS folder called "snex" with the boot.dol file inside.) For wii gator place a file inside apps called (wiigator or backuplauncher.) Each emulator has a specific place to put the roms. I am not going to cover every one. Once you have the emulator and roms on the sd card simply pop it in your WII and load homebrew. Go to the emulator and there ya go. For WII gator place your backed up game in and load wii gator. There ya go. Again make sure you load all your settings in the WII gator options.

I am not responsible for anything you screw up:wink: I am sure I have left some things out and will continually upgrade this tut. As of right now I have 2 WII's both playing backups online with no problem. Pics coming soon. Thanks. PM me with questions.

• Like Like x 4
  2. hedwig

hedwig Newbie

Ratings:
    Hi - A wii NooB here. Just decided to do something for the long weekend - i have a 3.1U version Wii. never bothered to update the software as I dont play much. Was wondering how I should use your above tut since it does not mention 3.1. Please let me know what I shud be careful about before proceeding. thanks in advance.

3. OP
    theroach

Ratings:
    If I were in your situation I would go a head and upgrade all the way to 3.4U version online before I started. You could keep your WII at 3.1 but you have to use older programs. Like the older WIIgator to run backups and things. Just upgrade then fallow my tut. If you fallow my tut you should have no problems. It seems long but I actually go step by step. Almost impossible to mess up. I am online a lot through out the weekend so drop me a pm and I will help you personally if you run into any kind of problem. Make sure you have everything I listed before you start.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. hedwig

hedwig Newbie

Ratings:
    thanks mate. will start in an hour or so. will you be on some IM?

5. OP
    theroach

Ratings:
    No I wont. You can contact me through pm's on here. After I get your first one I will stay on. I would like to see how my first tut follower goes so I can fix anything that might be of a problem to understand.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hedwig

hedwig Newbie

Ratings:
    Cool. Just got the Zelda (used) from gamestop. will upgrade the wii to latest firmware (but I guess that also means I will have to downgrade to 3.2 afterward as per your tut). I hope I have enough time to get through this today.

7. OP
    theroach

Ratings:
    Should take about an hour. I can totally mod a WII with everything downloaded and ready to go in about 30 min.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hedwig

hedwig Newbie

Ratings:
    Just installed Homebrew browser and downloaded mplayer!! I am ready to roll :smile: Thanks mate! Did not expect it to be so easy.

Now, I need to find what I need to do to play backups :smile:

9. OP
    theroach

Ratings:
    Very easy. Just fallow the next step for the backup launcher. Its in the tut.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty Free Sosa #bangbang Premium

Ratings:
    Backup loaded doesn't load gamecube games that part is still in development

11. OP
    theroach

Ratings:
    The one I posted will run gamecube backups. The download link is right under the WII gator. Thanks.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty Free Sosa #bangbang Premium

Ratings:
    does it really?!?! I'll have to check this out

13. OP
    theroach

Ratings:
    Yes it does. If you have any problems using it let me no and I will figure it out. I am about to load up a nice pre loaded package for an SD card to where it makes doing all this real easy. I will probably do that tom. Anyway make sure you leave a thanks.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Beezy 4 sheezy

Beezy 4 sheezy Banned

Ratings:
  15. hedwig

hedwig Newbie

Ratings:
    Installed everything only to find out that my DVD write is caput.. damn. Is there anyway to play the backups off a SD card? I have a 8GB SDHC card that I am currently has the homebrew browser and other apps from above. And where can I find the games for burning or for playing from SD card (if possible)?

16. OP
    theroach

Ratings:
    The games are on torrent sites. Go grab you a dvd burner. There like 30 bucks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. hedwig

hedwig Newbie

Ratings:

Cool.. will find them. Do I have to download PAL version of the games? And anything else to be careful about when burning games?

18. OP
    theroach

Ratings:
    Burn the actual iso of WII games. All WII games are exactly the same size as well. Same goes with the size of gamecube games.

Wii Iso size: 4.37 [Click here to view the link] (4,699,979,776 bytes).

Gamecube ISO size: 1.35 GB (1,459,978,240 bytes)

I will place this in my tut.

Another great thing about WII is it does not care what version of the game you have (NTSC, JAP, PAL) Just burn the actual iso file as an image. Inside the WII gator options you will see an option that says "FORCE REGION" or something like that. Just select your region( NTSC, JAP, PAL) and it will boot it up for you. The only thing that matters is make sure your games in english.:thumbup:

TUT UPDATED WITH NEW INFO ON BACKING UP GAMES.

• Like Like x 1
  19. EnDZYm3

EnDZYm3 Newbie

Ratings:
    Modding a wii seems to be easier than modding a 360 [ I have a DVD drive mod, and a case mod], almost as easy as a PSP even [snes emulation ftw!!!]. But since it's so easy, and Nintendo left a huge opening for modding their system, is it safe to say they aren't interested in stopping us Wii modders? Will I have to run a stealth program like I do on the 360? I haven't modded my Wii yet...but I plan on it....all i need is a little extra incentive. thanks in advance!!:smile:

20. OP
    theroach

Ratings:
    As of right now WII does not even check for any type of modding. Just what version of WII you have. So just put your WII online and update it all the way. From there fallow my tut. You in the clear zone. (As of right now):thumbup: Hit the thanx button.

• Like Like x 2