what tools would I need to edit the .xft, .xtd and _hi.xft
i would like to make some custom skins

wutapuss

wutapuss

Army of 2
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I was going to make a post, but do not have the time as of late.

(@= Apps I use in order to extract and edit texture files =@)

1) Liberty V :
to extract the .xtd and .xtf files out of vehicles.meta (that holds all the models and texture files)
2) GTA V Console Texture Editor 1.4 : so you can extract the .dds files from each .xtf file.
3) Paint.net : allows you to edit the .dds file or as i do convert to a .png to use in Photoshop.
4) Photoshop : manipulate the designs as I see fit from the template i extracted in step 3
* In Photoshop I keep the initial .png as the bottom layer as a guide as to where I can place images/designs so they line up perfect when I inject back into the .xtf file to be used in my ISO.
* Some images don't require a template if you want to create a complete blanket
* Can't teach creativity so let your imagination run wild when creating your designs with fonts, textures and patterns.

Lastly, as i understand the difference in .dds files, but do not know how to explain them when saving them you need to make sure they are the proper DXT. There are three in paint.net DXT1 DXT3 and DXT5 you'll have an idea if you saved them in the wrong format as when you inject your .dds file back into your .xtf file it will be highly distorted. Re save in another format. I'll also summon Awakening to clean up or properly explain .dds files.

Upvote 0
cg_LaserForce

cg_LaserForce

SAFD
Reaction score
Sin$
I was going to make a post, but do not have the time as of late.

(@= Apps I use in order to extract and edit texture files =@)

1) Liberty V :
to extract the .xtd and .xtf files out of vehicles.meta (that holds all the models and texture files)
2) GTA V Console Texture Editor 1.4 : so you can extract the .dds files from each .xtf file.
3) Paint.net : allows you to edit the .dds file or as i do convert to a .png to use in Photoshop.
4) Photoshop : manipulate the designs as I see fit from the template i extracted in step 3
* In Photoshop I keep the initial .png as the bottom layer as a guide as to where I can place images/designs so they line up perfect when I inject back into the .xtf file to be used in my ISO.
* Some images don't require a template if you want to create a complete blanket
* Can't teach creativity so let your imagination run wild when creating your designs with fonts, textures and patterns.

Lastly, as i understand the difference in .dds files, but do not know how to explain them when saving them you need to make sure they are the proper DXT. There are three in paint.net DXT1 DXT3 and DXT5 you'll have an idea if you saved them in the wrong format as when you inject your .dds file back into your .xtf file it will be highly distorted. Re save in another format. I'll also summon Awakening to clean up or properly explain .dds files.
sweet thank alot!!! I will give it a shot.
so the only cars i can edit and get online with other players are the newest dlc right?
the vehicles.meta is crc'ed

Upvote 0
wutapuss

wutapuss

Army of 2
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
sweet thank alot!!! I will give it a shot.
so the only cars i can edit and get online with other players are the newest dlc right?
the vehicles.meta is crc'ed

no there are other vehicles like the batiRR, the sanchez, clown van, Smoke on the water van.... and other vehicles that have grafix on them.

Apologies!!! i said vehicles.meta when it was supposed to be vehicles.rpf. That too is CRC'd but it can be bypassed and used in an ISO in a modders pool.

Upvote 0
cg_LaserForce

cg_LaserForce

SAFD
Reaction score
Sin$
no there are other vehicles like the batiRR, the sanchez, clown van, Smoke on the water van.... and other vehicles that have grafix on them.

Apologies!!! i said vehicles.meta when it was supposed to be vehicles.rpf. That too is CRC'd but it can be bypassed and used in an ISO in a modders pool.
how do you convert to png i cant get it to open in photo shop?

Upvote 0
wutapuss

wutapuss

Army of 2
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
open the .dds in paint.net and then select Save as and save it as a .png and then you can open in photoshop

Upvote 0
Mast3rsTutorials

Mast3rsTutorials

Knowledge Over Money Anyday
Reaction score
Sin$
With out the add on/plugin you can't. Don't laugh! Using CS2 at home but I do have CS6 at work and don't usually do any GTA texture modding while at work.

Sorry but CS2 pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol

Upvote 0
Top Bottom
Login
Register