What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Tutorial How to make an adapter to use slim HDD on fat console.

• Thread starter The Governator
  • Start date
  • Views 6,401
The Governator

jakegloryblink

Get To The Choppa!
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guy this is my first TUT so bare with me here. I did this a long time ago I just never thought of posting it on here. I have 3 Xbox and I have 1 slim and 2 fats. So as you can see I had a problem because I had all my info on the slim HDD. Your basically taking a fat HDD and making it into a adapter for the slim HDD. Here we go.

Here is a picture of what I mean.
photobucket-22137-1348175788459_zpse7d43951.jpg

Ok first you have to take apart the HDD you want to turn into a adapter. If you don't have one go to a place that sells used games and consoles and you can pick up one of the old 20gig drives for really cheap. There are 4 hex screws that hold the 2 plastic pieces together. 3 out in the open and the last under the silver microsoft sticker.
hdd1_zpsf48db42c.jpg

Ok now get a cutting tool. I used a Dremel saw. They work great for small cuts like this. On the red lines is where you want to make a cut.
This is where you cut on the top piece.
hdd2copy_zps95ba90a3.jpg

And this is where you cut on the side. Make sure that its the top of the HDD when you put it in the xbox. Because if you cut the bottom the HDD will fall out when its connected.
photobucket-21296-1348176654480_zpse9142714copy_zps6069b785.jpg

And when you made all the cuts it should look like this.
photobucket-14742-1348175720770_zps3066e566.jpg

photobucket-21712-1348175701868_zps00a53321.jpg

Now this one was the first one I did. I didn't paint it to make it look nice or anything. But it does what it supposed to do. Now all you have to do is slip in the slim HDD. Both the HDD's have the some connectors so all you gotta do is plug in the slim HDD and put the adapter in your fat Xbox.
photobucket-18510-1348175757327_zps89ffd822.jpg

And there you have it. An easy made adapter for your Xbox.

Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert

Yoink!
Tutorial Creator Reporter
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice tutorial :smile:
Why dont you just take the HDD out of the slim casing and put it in the Old HDD shell? no need for cutting, Simply taking apart and swapping is fine, instead of ruining your old HD case

The Governator

jakegloryblink

Get To The Choppa!
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice tutorial :smile:
Why dont you just take the HDD out of the slim casing and put it in the Old HDD shell? no need for cutting, Simply taking apart and swapping is fine, instead of ruining your old HD case
Because it won't fit in the xbox if you don't cut the side. And the purpose of cutting the top off is you you can swap it in and out fast so you don't have to keep taking it apart and putting it back together. It works perfectly. I have made like 10 of these for my friends who had fat consoles with only a 20, 40, or 60 gig HDD who upgraded to slims with 250gigs. They put all their stuff on the 250gig HDD and kept their old console but couldn't use the new HDD in it.

Top Bottom
Login
Register