H

Halodu2de

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Tutorial: How to make almost anything drivable using .Map mods in Halo 3
By Halodu03de

Things needed to make it:
-.Map file of the map you want to edit from XboxGame [files] Unmodded maps for various Xbox / 360 games Halo 3 maps
(In this tutorial, we will be using the map Warehouse.map(aka Foundry))
-.Map file editor
1. Alteration-Download: http://xenon7.net/files/programs/alteration/Alteration_0052.rar
(This tutorial uses Alteration, which I recommend over construct.)

Things needed to play it:
-A Developers kit(Dev, Stress Test Dev, Demo, Test, or Reviewers kit)
-Xbox 360 Neighborhood
-Halo 3 Xex 1.0 or 1.2 with checks disabled
-Some other basic knowledge

1. Open the map file in Alteration and in the list of tags, expand the HLMT tag (This is the object properties).

IMG1.jpg

2. Find where it says "objects\vehicles\warthog\warthog" and click on it to open it up.

IMG2.jpg

3. At the top of the screen right above where it says "warthog.hlmt" click on 'Editors' and select 'Meta Editor'.

IMG3.jpg

4. Now, scroll down until you find where it says 'OBJECTS' in Bold. And right under that, where it says 'Child

Object'. This is where the turret is attached to the warthog.

IMG4.jpg

5. Change it to whatever you want to be driving, I am going to change it to a truck, for example. (you can change it

to anything within the following tags: Scen, Vehi, Weap, Bloc, Dctr, Eqip, Mach, Gint and a few more. So I would

change where it has the dropdown box that says 'Vehi' which is the vehicle tag, to 'Bloc' which is the obstacles tag.

Then I would look around in it until I found the Truck

"objects\levels\dlc\warehouse\truck_cab_large_military\truck_cab_large_military" and change it to that.

IMG5.jpg

truck1.jpg

6. Now, Click the 'Save' button at the bottom. ONCE YOU HAVE GOTTEN TO THIS POINT, YOU CAN ONLY FINISH THE VEHICLE IF

YOU HAVE A DEVELOPERS KIT TO TEST IT ON, OR ARE MAKING THE SAME VEHICLE AS WE ARE IN THIS TUTORIAL(a drivable truck

on Foundry). Under 'OBJECTS' again, where it says 'Parent Marker', copy the number in the box (For example, the one I

copied is "3.812933E-42", but it is different for every map) to your clipboard (Highlight it and Hold down the 'CTRL'

button and click 'C').

IMG6.jpg

7. Now in the tag list on the left again, expand the 'Mode' tag (This is the Model). Find where it says

"objects\vehicles\warthog\warthog" and click on it. Next, like we did in step 3, Click on 'Editors' right above

'Warthog.mode' and select 'Meta Editor'.

IMG7.jpg

8. Scroll Down to where it says 'MARKERS' in Bold. Next to 'MARKERS' it says '0: markers chunk', click on the drop

down box twice so that '0: markers chunk' is selected in Gold color, but not expanded, and click the down arrow

button to scroll through the chunks (1, 2, 3, etc.) until the number in the box where it says 'Marker Name(SID)'

matches the number you copied to your clipboard EXACTLY (to confirm the number, highlight the number in the 'Marker

Name(SID)' box that you think matches the number on your clipboard, and Hold down CTRL and click 'V'. If the number

doesn't change, you have the right one.) In my example, the chunk is '70: markers chunk' which has the number

'3.812933E-42'.

IMG8.jpg

9. Now, right under where it says 'MARKERS', it says 'INSTANCES' in Bold. This is where the coordinates and rotations

of the warthog's child object(s) are controlled.

IMG9.jpg

10. Using real time halo, or just testing the map over and over again on your developers kit, you need to adjust

these coordinates and rotations to make the vehicle aim in the perfect direction. For the truck, the correct

coordinates and rotations are as follows:

Coordinates:

X: 0
Y: 0
Z: 0.017

Rotations:

i: 0
j: 0
k: 1

truck2.jpg

11. Now, Save your changes at the bottom again. Since we have the truck facing the right direction, and at the

perfect height, we need to make the warthog invisible so that all we can see is the truck. In the same tag that we

have been in (warthog.mode), under 'INSTANCES' in Bold it says 'SHADERS'. Now for Each chunk '0: shaders chunk'

through '13:confused:haders chunk'(14 chunks total), we need to change the tag in the LONG dropdown box to <<NULL>> which is

at the bottom of the list in the LONG dropdown box, So that for all 14 shaders chunks, the LONG dropdown box says

<<NULL>>. Make sure to click Save each time you change one of the boxes in each shaders chunk to <<NULL>>, so you

will end up clicking save 14 times here.

IMG11.jpg

truck3.jpg

12. Now that we have nulled out the shaders we are almost done. The last things we need to change are the

attachments, widgets, and seating position for when you get into the warthog/truck. In the tag list on the left, go

down until you find the 'Vehi' tag which is Vehicle. Find where it says "objects\vehicles\warthog\warthog", and again

at the top click 'Editors' and select 'Meta Editor'.

IMG12.jpg

13. Scroll down until you find 'ATTACHMENTS' in Bold. Now under 'ATTACHMENTS', where it says 'Attachment', just like

for shaders, go through each attachments chunk (0 though 5) and change the LONG dropdown box in each to <<NULL>>, and

make sure again to hit save for each one. You will end up changing the LONG box to <<NULL>> 6 times and clicking save

6 times.

IMG13.jpg

14. Right under 'ATTACHMENTS', Where it says 'WIDGETS' in Bold, change

"objects\vehicles\warthog\attachments\warthog_antenna" to <<NULL>> and click Save.

IMG14.jpg

15. This step is optional, but I highly recommend it to make it look complete. If you want, you can change the camera

distance from the vehicle for a more broad view of your vehicle while driving. To do this, While still in the

warthog.vehi tag, Find where it says 'CAMERA TRACKS' in Bold and where it says Track right underneath, choose a

different Track (Camera track) from the LONG dropdown box. For the truck I recommend "camera\board_large_camera".

trak.jpg

16. Now the last part, seating. In the same tag (warthog.vehi), scroll down to where it says 'SEATS' in Bold. Like we

did in step 6, copy the 'Sitting Position Marker' to your clipboard (For example, the one I copied is "2.729729E-42",

but it is different for every map).

IMG15.jpg

17. Now in the tag list on the left again, expand the 'Mode' tag. Find where it says

"objects\vehicles\warthog\warthog" and click on it. Next, like we did in step 3, Click on 'Editors' right above

'Warthog.mode' and select 'Meta Editor'.

IMG7.jpg

18. Scroll Down to where it says 'MARKERS' in Bold. Next to 'MARKERS' it says '0: markers chunk', click on the drop

down box twice so that '0: markers chunk' is selected in Gold color, but not expanded, and click the down arrow

button to scroll through the chunks (1, 2, 3, etc.) until the number in the box where it says 'Marker Name(SID)'

matches the number you copied to your clipboard EXACTLY (to confirm the number, highlight the number in the 'Marker

Name(SID)' box that you think matches the number on your clipboard, and Hold down CTRL and click 'V'. If the number

doesn't change, you have the right one.) In my example, the chunk is '3: markers chunk' which has the number

'2.729729E-42'.

19. Using real time halo, or just testing the map over and over again on your developers kit, you need to adjust

these coordinates and rotations to make your character sit in the perfect position when it gets inside the vehicle.

For the truck, the correct coordinates and rotations are as follows:

Coordinates:

X: 0.67
Y: 0.28
Z: 0.576

Rotations:

i: -0.1
j: 8E-10
k: -1.5E-08

20. Now click Save and you're done!

truck4.jpg

Thanks to DarkShallFall and Detox for the research and program.

E

Eon89

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have always wondered what people with dev kits had to do it make things like that work.

C

C00LAR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So to the other 99.9% of us, this is useless. but it does look cool anyway

Edit: at the end of your post, the youtube comments made me laugh

chris213

chris213

Android™
Reaction score
Sin$
that's really awesome.
so wait, could you drive that tractor thing on foundry? i can't think of the name but i think it's a tractor.

J

japj15

Reaction score
Sin$
hey i think link dosnt work for the modding program

oh and forgot this is something ive never seen and its pretty advanced so :thumbup:

F

F4x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't know just about anything when it comes to modding, but would it be possible if you could maybe get 4 of those drivable semi's, save the map, then let others download the drivable semi map, or is that not possible?

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Diamonds Are Forever Mythical Veteran Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
Others could do that, but they would all have to have dev kits with the modded XeX

This type of modding ist possible on retail xbox 360s

J

JIME01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Don't people already know how to do this?... from Halo 2? :huh:
Anyway good tutorial, but you may want to add what and how SID's work, coordinates of other objects and how to make flyable objects. I would but cant be bothered.

M

mojobojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
japj15 said:
hey i think link dosnt work for the modding program
It works, your not gonna have a use for it unless you have a dev kit though.

R

rednek591

Reaction score
Sin$
where could i find a dev kit(if its possible to find 1) and how much would it cost?Ive heard they can be up to 4000$.(plz dont laugh @ me if i said something Stupid):biggrin:

M

mojobojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
rednek591 said:
where could i find a dev kit(if its possible to find 1) and how much would it cost?Ive heard they can be up to 4000$.(plz dont laugh @ me if i said something Stupid):biggrin:

Dont buy one.
1: It will increase the price for people who are acually going to use them for development;
2: if you get one you wont know how to use it.
3: only connects to parternet not xbox live so no playing with your friends or matchmaking
4: no microsoft support
5: Wont play retail game without an xex patch.

C

chocolate cakex

Reaction score
Sin$
okay well can someone post a tut that ISNT useless.:cursing::thumbdown:

Glitch100

Glitch100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
chocolate cakex said:
okay well can someone post a tut that ISNT useless.:cursing::thumbdown:

Its useful.
Just not to you.

Very in depth nice one dude.

chris213

chris213

Android™
Reaction score
Sin$
ha you wouldn't be able to play it so there's no point in having it though.

Stocking

Stocking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Haha, I'm thinking of changing a ghost in sandbox to a golfball. just imagine the lolz.

P

poopoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
more like the golf hole...lol...it'd look like a flying carpet or summet

Leering

Leering

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Bright Idea Fabled Veteran Tutorial Creator
Reaction score
Sin$
My guy is floating on the side of the truck at the right height what did I mess up?

Top Bottom
Login
Register