• Start date
  • Views 3,385
Comrade

Comrade

Crusty Old Dude
Retired
Mythical Veteran Contest Sponsor Tutorial Creator
Reaction score
In this tut I will show you how to install LEDs into a old style xbox 360 hard drive. I know we already have a older tut on this by punk but he did not make that. He simply just copied and paste it from another site. Also my tut will show you how to wire it up with out using pre-made LEDs/wire So here is a Se7enSins very own tut on this made by Comrade.

Most of the pics are mine but I will use some from punks to save some time and plus the pics look good. also I will be using a pre made custom hdd to save some time.

Tools/parts needed
-Xbox 360 hdd
-Torx t6 non tamer proof
-Torx t8 non tamper proof or tamper proof
-Hot glue gun
-Plexi glass
-Ruler
-Pencil
-Cutting Tool
-Sand paper
-150 ohm resistors
-3mm LEDs or 5mm LEDs of your choice
-Soldering iron
-Electric solder
-18 or 22 AWG wire

IMG_0779.jpg

Step one
Take apart the Xbox 360 hdd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qV3EiuaHI

Step 2.
Make marks on the hdd so you know where to cut it. What I did was get the plexi glass I was using then place it on top of the hdd to make marks to see where it goes out too. then I make about a 3mm mark on the inside of the mark so I had some room to glue it down/hold it.
IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Step 2.1
You will need to cut or buy the glass in these measurements.
IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

Step 3
Cut out the hdd. Drill 4 holes where you marked the spots on the inside of the plexi glass. Here is a pic on where you should cut so the glass will fit. You will also need to cut these parts off so the glass will fit on the inside.
IMG_0780-1.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

If you dont cut those spots it will not fit.

IMG_0787.jpg

Step 4
Strip these 2 wires. Yellow is 5v and black is ground.
IMG_6206_800.jpg

Step 5.
Now put some glue down on the edges of the inside of the hdd and then place the glass down gently. Then to save some trouble wire up your LEDs and glue them to the sides. I recommend you put 2 in the back,1 on the top left, and 1 on the top right. Make sure to put the LEDs above the hard drive or it will not fit!

IMG_0791.jpg

Step 6
Test out the LEDs but getting the top cover and then hook it up to your xbox 360 hdd spot. If everything went well reassemble the hdd and congrats! you made your very own custom hdd!
IMG_0792.jpg

Purplish

Purplish

Why not Zoidberg?
Reaction score
Your such a stud! :biggrin: +rep

D

Dcessna92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sick AF. I would do this but the current HD i have is the halo 3 one. And i dont want blue leds in an orange chrome HDD, ewww. But i will do this first thing when i get my new console :biggrin:

Comrade

Comrade

Crusty Old Dude
Retired
Reaction score
I also got a h3 hdd and I want to put some orange LEDs in it. That would look sick.

quincykers

quincykers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you show how you wired it ? i cant see what is hooked up to what. maybe a picture or a video of the wiring thank you. :drool:

Comrade

Comrade

Crusty Old Dude
Retired
Reaction score
can you show how you wired it ? i cant see what is hooked up to what. maybe a picture or a video of the wiring thank you. :drool:
just make sure you install the wires above the hard drive itself or else it wont fit.

John

John

Reaction score
Cool tut dude :smile:,would have repped but I got to the Daily cap.

TenthBarley

TenthBarley

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What size LEDs did you use 3mm or 5mm in the pics?

Top Bottom