• Views 8,143
Comrade

Comrade

Crusty Old Dude
Retired
Mythical Veteran Contest Sponsor Tutorial Creator
Reaction score
Sin$
Here is a little tut that iam making on how to install a extra button onto a xbox 360 wireless controller board. Iam going to show you how to get the solder to stick to your controller and show you the points to solder on a matrix board. The follow pictures and some info are from xbox sense and from google. I suggest you dont do this if you are new to soldering.

Tools needed
hobby knife or a sharp pointed knife
30awg wire
A push button
15 watt soldering iron
electric solder
Sand paper

Trouble shooting.
Here are some tips to some of the problems you might have while doing this.
Q: I cant get the wire/solder to stick the board
A: Keep scratching at the point until you see copper and apply a little bit of solder to and see if it sticks.

Q: One of my buttons dont work.
A: you have done one of the following. scraped at it to much and destroyed the connection to the board or didnt apply to much solder to it. 1st re solder it and test it out. If it still dosent work look here

Q: My board is acting all weird and when I press a button it does 5 things.
A: You have bridge something while soldering. Open up your controller and look to see where you soldered and then de solder the bridge you made carefully.

Any other questions? Just ask me.

Here is how to scrape the point on the board.
1st step. Find which points you need to cut.
2nd step. After find those points get your sharp knife and carefully cut around the button like so in the picture. Keep cutting until you see the copper. To test to see if the solder sticks to it get some solder to stick to your soldering iron and try soldering some solder onto it. If it dosent stick keep scratching at it and then try to get solder onto it again.
3rd step. apply a little bit of solder to the point you just cut and solder the wire to it. Then solder some more to it to hold it down better/gets a better connection.
example.png

So you need to find out witch board you want to this too.(Look in my sig to find which controller board you have)After you found that out you are going to need your sharp knife to scrape these points.Here are the points to do on a xbox 360 wireless controller matrix board.
frontview.jpg

SECTION 1

In this picture you have the contacts for the "a" button. There are two circles, one red and the other yellow. each color goes to one side of your button that you will add. now when the new button is pushed the red and yellow connect making the "a" function happen.
abutton.jpg

SECTION 2

this section is for the "x,y,b" buttons and is the same setup as the previous, the only difference is that all three of these buttons will have a common connection on one side. The common point is circled in green. So if you wanted to add and extra "y" and "x" buttons then each button would have the corosponding red circled connection going to one side of the two new buttons. the remaining prong on each button will be connected to each other, then connected to the common point. I hope this all makes sense,...Im not very good at explaining things like this.
bxybuttons.jpg

SECTION 3

This section is the same as the last one and is for the "start" and the "guide" buttons. The common connection on these is a T in a trace and is difficult to solder to, but can be done. The circle with "St" is for the start and the circle with the "G" is for the guide.
guideandstartbuttons.jpg

SECTION 4

This section is for the "back" button. You will need to solder to the end of a very small capacitor for the red connection....the other is marked in yellow.
backbutton.jpg

SECTION 5

Same as others...just add the button to these contacts. This is for the up directional pad
upbutton.jpg

SECTION 6

right directional pad
rightbutton.jpg

SECTION 7

This section is for down directional pad. Use the red and yellow contacts. The purple is an alternate point for section 8...its easier to solder to.
downbutton.jpg

SECTION 8

This is the left directional pad. the yellow contact on this is the left side of the resistor that sits there. You can also use the purple contact in the previous section in place of the yellow contact in this section.
leftbutton.jpg

SECTION 9

These are the buttons for the left and right bumper buttons and the wireless detection button. same as before yellow and red to the buttons.
leftandrightbumpersandwirelessbutto.jpg

SECTION 10

Thought I would add these in.....the left and right thumbstick click buttons
leftthumb.jpg

rightthumb.jpg

ITz UnScRiiPTeD

ITz UnScRiiPTeD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Here is a little tut that iam making on how to install a extra button onto a xbox 360 wireless controller board. Iam going to show you how to get the solder to stick to your controller and show you the points to solder on a matrix board. The follow pictures and some info are from xbox sense and from google. I suggest you dont do this if you are new to soldering.

Tools needed
hobby knife or a sharp pointed knife
30awg wire
A push button
15 watt soldering iron
electric solder
Sand paper

Trouble shooting.
Here are some tips to some of the problems you might have while doing this.
Q: I cant get the wire/solder to stick the board
A: Keep scratching at the point until you see copper and apply a little bit of solder to and see if it sticks.

Q: One of my buttons dont work.
A: you have done one of the following. scraped at it to much and destroyed the connection to the board or didnt apply to much solder to it. 1st re solder it and test it out. If it still dosent work look here

Q: My board is acting all weird and when I press a button it does 5 things.
A: You have bridge something while soldering. Open up your controller and look to see where you soldered and then de solder the bridge you made carefully.

Any other questions? Just ask me.

Here is how to scrape the point on the board.
1st step. Find which points you need to cut.
2nd step. After find those points get your sharp knife and carefully cut around the button like so in the picture. Keep cutting until you see the copper. To test to see if the solder sticks to it get some solder to stick to your soldering iron and try soldering some solder onto it. If it dosent stick keep scratching at it and then try to get solder onto it again.
3rd step. apply a little bit of solder to the point you just cut and solder the wire to it. Then solder some more to it to hold it down better/gets a better connection.
example.png

So you need to find out witch board you want to this too.(Look in my sig to find which controller board you have)After you found that out you are going to need your sharp knife to scrape these points.Here are the points to do on a xbox 360 wireless controller matrix board.
frontview.jpg

SECTION 1

In this picture you have the contacts for the "a" button. There are two circles, one red and the other yellow. each color goes to one side of your button that you will add. now when the new button is pushed the red and yellow connect making the "a" function happen.
abutton.jpg

SECTION 2

this section is for the "x,y,b" buttons and is the same setup as the previous, the only difference is that all three of these buttons will have a common connection on one side. The common point is circled in green. So if you wanted to add and extra "y" and "x" buttons then each button would have the corosponding red circled connection going to one side of the two new buttons. the remaining prong on each button will be connected to each other, then connected to the common point. I hope this all makes sense,...Im not very good at explaining things like this.
bxybuttons.jpg

SECTION 3

This section is the same as the last one and is for the "start" and the "guide" buttons. The common connection on these is a T in a trace and is difficult to solder to, but can be done. The circle with "St" is for the start and the circle with the "G" is for the guide.
guideandstartbuttons.jpg

SECTION 4

This section is for the "back" button. You will need to solder to the end of a very small capacitor for the red connection....the other is marked in yellow.
backbutton.jpg

SECTION 5

Same as others...just add the button to these contacts. This is for the up directional pad
upbutton.jpg

SECTION 6

right directional pad
rightbutton.jpg

SECTION 7

This section is for down directional pad. Use the red and yellow contacts. The purple is an alternate point for section 8...its easier to solder to.
downbutton.jpg

SECTION 8

This is the left directional pad. the yellow contact on this is the left side of the resistor that sits there. You can also use the purple contact in the previous section in place of the yellow contact in this section.
leftbutton.jpg

SECTION 9

These are the buttons for the left and right bumper buttons and the wireless detection button. same as before yellow and red to the buttons.
leftandrightbumpersandwirelessbutto.jpg

SECTION 10

Thought I would add these in.....the left and right thumbstick click buttons
leftthumb.jpg

rightthumb.jpg
Give credit to who made this, i know you added a few things like tools but come on your a moderator you should know better.

Link: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=466559

Apathy

Apathy

Programmer Modder Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
is there a way to fix a messed up thumbstick? my left analog sticks horribly, it actually ruins any games that you use the left analog alot ( UFC 2010, FPS Games, etc..... )

Comrade

Comrade

Crusty Old Dude
Retired
Mythical Veteran Contest Sponsor Tutorial Creator
Reaction score
Sin$
Give credit to who made this, i know you added a few things like tools but come on your a moderator you should know better.

Link: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=466559

I did give credit. Read what I said at the 1st paragraph.

is there a way to fix a messed up thumbstick? my left analog sticks horribly, it actually ruins any games that you use the left analog alot ( UFC 2010, FPS Games, etc..... )

Top Bottom
Login
Register