What's new

How To Install .deb Files Via SSH (and Terminal)

• Thread starter Ares
  • Start date
  • Views 22,196
Ares

Ares

Just a Small Town Girl Livin' in a Lonely World
Reaction score
Sin$
Is Cydia crashing for you? Is your pesky iPod not allowing you to add the source or app that you want? Are you frequently SSH'ing into your iPod, and looking for a better, fast way to install .debs through SSH? Well, you're viewing the right topic. Okay, let's get this started.

1. On your computer, find and download the .deb file for the Cydia download you want. - For example, if you want the "USBDrive" app, go to Google and search "usbdrive.deb download". Save the file somewhere on your computer (durr).

Skip to step se7en if you are familiar with SSH. If not, continue reading.

2. Make sure your iPod has "OpenSSH" from Cydia downloaded and installed. - This is required for you to gain remote access to your iPods files from your Computer. Also, download the OpenSSH SB Toggle, so you can turn SSH on/off at any time with ease.

3. On your computer, download and install any SSH'ing program, or use a built in one. - The most popular are WinSCP for Windows and Cyberduck for Mac. I'll be giving WinSCP instructions, but the two programs are very similar.

4. Make sure your iPod is on and SSH-ready

5. Make sure that your iPod and computer are connected to the same WiFi network.

6. Open WinSCP. For "Host Name", type in your I.P. Address. Username = "root" Password = "alpine". DON'T change anything else. Click O.K. or press Enter. On the left, you should see your computer's files. On the right, you should see your iPod's files.

7. On your iDevice's file system, navigate to /private/var/tmp. Drag the .deb file from your CPU here.

8. Okay, so now the .deb is in the private/var/tmp folder. Now to install it. So, select the .deb file (just click it once). Now, see the word "Session" at the top of your WinSCP window? Click the little picture of a computer terminal-like thing right below the "S".

9. After clicking the terminal thingy, a terminal window should open up. What a twist, right? Anyway, in the "enter command" box, type this...
Code:
dpkg -i /tmp/filename.deb
(obviously, use the name of your file, not "filename.deb") Make sure Cydia is CLOSED when you are doing this. Then, simply click "Execute".

10. You should now see some code appear, and it should be easy to realize that your file is now being installed. Once the last line reads
Code:
Setting up (filename)  (1.1.1)
you know it's done. The ones between the parentheses don't have to be ones. They can be zeros as well. Don't freak out if it returns with (0.1.0) or (1.0.0) or anything like that. I've never gotten a (1.1.1)

11. Now, just wait a few seconds, exit the terminal and respring (you can respring from the terminal by typing "respring", if you want to). Once, you respring and exit WinSCP/Cyberduck...

12. YOU'RE DONE!!
laugh.gif
Enjoy your new file! I know this may seem like a lot of steps, but once you're familiar with this, you can do it extremely fast.

Love,
Halo Threetard

Sn1per 117

Sn1per 117

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
This might have been posted before, but I'm not sure. You could probably add some things to make it easier. You can just use cyder to get the .deb files, and it can even install them for you. Also, you can just download the .deb files on your idevice if you have a download manager, and you can install them a lot easier by using iFile. But overall, it's a pretty decent tut

Top Bottom
Login
Register