Easiest way to softmod your Wii in 2019
This is the easiest method you will find out there. This guide will help you mod your Wii without a game, get the most up to date files, brick protection, and best compatibility to play any game released.
- LetterBomb files - will go into this later.
- SD card - I believe the max is 4gb that the Wii will recognize. Here's an example of one that should work.
- ModMii [Download] - Grab the newest version zip file from that page. Unzip this once you download it.
- SysCheck [Download] - You will need this to determine what needs updating.
Getting LetterBomb files
- Start up your Wii and go to the Wii settings > 2nd page > Internet > Console Information and write down your Mac Address.
- Go to this site and input your Mac Address. Make sure the "Bundle the Hackmii installer for me" is checked.
- Click either button "cut blue / red wire". It doesn't matter. Download the file.
- Unzip Letterbomb.zip
- Copy the private folder and the boot.elf to the SD card (the root of the SD card, don't put in apps).
- Don't remove the SD card yet. We are going to add more to the SD card to streamline the process.
- Create a folder called Apps on your SD card
- Move the SysCheckHDE folder to the Apps folder on your SD card
- Safely remove your SD card and put it into your Wii
- Boot up your Wii with the SD card in the slot.
- Go to your Message icon in the bottom right.
- You should get a Letter Bomb message either that day or the day before. If you don't have it, shut down, put the SD card back in your computer and make sure that private and boot.elf are in the root of your SD card and not in the Apps folder.
- Click on the message. It will then take you to an install page. Click 1 to continue.
- Click "Install Homebrew Channel" and click "Yes to continue"
- Click "Bootmii..." > "Install Bootmii as IOS"
- Now you can Exit
This will help you in the event something goes wrong, you will have the files to restore.
- Once you exited, it should take you to the HBC. If it didn't, navigate your Wii channels and find the Homebrew Channel and click it.
- Click your "Home" button on your remote. You should see a Launch Bootmii option. Click it.
- From here, you will need to use the Power and Reset buttons on your Wii to navigate the options.
- Press Power to move over to the 3rd option and click Reset to select it.
- The first option should look like a microchip pointing/dumping to the SD card. Click Reset to select it. It will begin backing up your NAND.
Note: Don't worry about the bad sectors, most NANDs were shipped with bad sectors.
- This process will take about 10 minutes iirc. Once it is done, go back to your HBC as we want to do one more thing before we actually remove the SD card.
This will help you install the most up to date files for the best compatibility.
- In the HBC, you should see an app called System Check, click it.
- It will say "Press A to continue", press it.
- Once it is done, shut down the Wii, remove the SD card and put it into your computer.
- Open your Modmii folder. You should see ModMii.exe. Don't click it.
- Open up your SD card. Inside the root of the card, you should see "sysCheck.csv". Drag sysCheck.csv and put it on the ModMii.exe (not ModMiiSkin.exe).
- ModMii should now launch. It will tell you to type "I agree" and hit enter
- You will now see a list of IOS's and wads that need updating. Type "Y" and click enter.
- ModMii will now download all the files that you need and store them in a folder called COPY_TO_SD.
- Back out to the Main Menu in Modmii.
- Type '2' and click enter
- Type "pri", click enter
- Type "hax", click enter
- Type "d" click enter
- Type "y" click enter
- Double check to make sure Priiloader was added to the Apps folder in COPY_TO_SD, and make sure the hacks.ini file(s) are added within the Priiloader folder.
- Copy all those files to the root of your SD card.
- Safely eject your SD card and return it to your Wii and boot up the Wii.
- When you typed "Y" to download the IOS's, it should also pop up a CUSTOM guide to follow. So just follow it and you will be golden. But I'll outline a few steps for clarification.
- Go to HBC > Multi Mod Manager
- Make sure MMM has IOS236 loaded. If it's not currently on IOS236, change it.
- If you can't change it to IOS236, you will have to back out to the Homebrew channel and run the IOS236 installer.
- Scroll down to WAD Manager and click it.
- Scroll to your WAD folder if it isn't already up.
- Hold the "+" button for 2 seconds to select all. Once selected, press A.
- It will now install all the proper IOS's for you. When you are finished, click A to continue and when you are back to the WAD folder, scroll down through it to make sure there aren't any WADs that are still marked for install. If there are, then run the installer again (by pressing A).
- Exit back to your HBC
Priiloader is an application that launches before your Wii, allowing you to make modifications to how the Wii performs.
- In the HBC, click the Priiloader app.
- Run the installer. I'm not 100% sure on these steps but it should be similar to the rest. Just continue through the installer.
- Turn off your Wii.
- To gain access to the Priiloader settings, press the power button and immediately hold the Reset button.
- Scroll down to System Menu Hacks
- Enable the following
- Replace Health Screen with Backmenu
- Region Free EVERYTHING
- Block Disc Updates
- Region Free GC Games (No VM Patch)
- Region Free Wii Games
- Region Free Channels
- Auto-Press A at Health Screen
- Move Disc Channel
- Block Online Updates
- Scroll through some of the options to see if you'd like other settings enabled.
How to play your Wii and GC from a USB device/external hard drive
How to play retro games on your Wii