С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Mythical Veteran Trifecta TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
With my USB softmod tutorial gaining a fair amount of views, a bunch of people usually had follow-up questions as to how to set up FTP and what client to use etc. I figured I would just write this out here for everyone's convenience who followed my softmod tutorial. I don't take credit for this.

Now that you're xbox is softmodded (or hardmodded), you'll want to set up FTP in order to transfer files from your computer to your xbox over your internet and vice-versa:

1. Make sure your xbox and computer are both connected to the same internet (e.g. xbox is connected to router via Ethernet and computer is connected via Wi-Fi)

2. Boot up your xbox into Unleash X.
Go to “System” -> “Settings” -> “Network”.
Change your settings to match the picture below WITH THE EXCEPTION OF "TYPE" being set to DHCP (not static)

6ZFfDaD.jpg

3. Open FileZilla and then open FileZilla's site manager (See Red Arrow in image Below). After you have opened the Site manager, make a "New Site" and name it "Xbox." (See Blue Ink in image Below)
  • The Host is your console's IP Address (this is displayed on your console).
  • The User and Password are both "xbox" (all lower-case).
  • Protocol is "FTP" Encryption is "Use plain FTP"
  • Logon Type is "Normal"
  • Port: is "21" (Although I usually don't need to enter 21 for the Port, definitely do it the first time you're setting this up)
aFY0ozx.jpg

4. Hit "Connect," and all should go well. You'll see something like this:
jeJU2YF.jpg

5. You're now ready to use FTP. On the left hand side of FileZilla (See Blue Ink in image above) you have all of the folders on your PC. On the right hand side (See Red Ink in image above), you will see folders that are on your xbox. Each folder represents a partition on the hard drive. For example, your DVD drive is “D”. The “E” folder, is where you install homebrew apps such as emulators. If you have a large HDD you can place your Original Xbox Game backups here as well.

Last edited:
B

burbvoski_85

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi! I´m trying to add some applications (like xbmc and emulators) but for some reason there´s no apps folder on E: (or anywhere). I´m using unleash and on the main menu it shows Emulators and applications (there´s even a text editor in it).
I´ve tried looking everywhere (File explorer and ftp) but no luck. I also tried creating my own folders but doesn´t recognize them. Any ideas?
Thanks!

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi! I´m trying to add some applications (like xbmc and emulators) but for some reason there´s no apps folder on E: (or anywhere). I´m using unleash and on the main menu it shows Emulators and applications (there´s even a text editor in it).
I´ve tried looking everywhere (File explorer and ftp) but no luck. I also tried creating my own folders but doesn´t recognize them. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Hello. Quote me if you still need help.

B

burbvoski_85

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello. Quote me if you still need help.

Hi VinnyHaw, I haven't found a way to add apps. I followed a tutorial on this site to softmod the Xbox but still can't find an app folder.
Thanks

Razorhawk90

Razorhawk90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi VinnyHaw, I haven't found a way to add apps. I followed a tutorial on this site to softmod the Xbox but still can't find an app folder.
Thanks
You need to create a folder on the E drive called "Apps" or "apps". I'm not sure but try both names.

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks
You need to create a folder on the E drive called "Apps" or "apps". I'm not sure but try both names.

give that a twirl. I'll hook my xbox up tomorrow and check for myself where everything goes. I have mine running just fine.

M

Mandretta4

Reaction score
Sin$
Atlas, I followed your instructions on how to soft mod and may I say thank you. You made it ridiculously easy to do even for someone who isn't all that great with a PC. I do have a question regarding the eeprom's location after the backup. I have looked through all the files and I don't see it in there. Do you know the default location that your method puts it?

Last edited:
Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Atlas, I followed your instructions on how to soft mod and may I say thank you. You made it ridiculously easy to do even for someone who isn't all that great with a PC. I do have a question regarding the eeprom's location after the backup. I have looked through all the files and I don't see it in there. Do you know the default location that your method puts it?
IIRC it should be located somewhere in the E:\UDATA. I may be mistaken though.

R

redline65

Reaction score
Sin$

Mine put it in /E/UDATA/21585554/000000000000/backup.

B

BlueTheGoliath

Reaction score
Sin$
So I just put the emulator in a folder (like a gameboy emulator inside a folder named Gameboy) and put it into a folder named Emulators on the xbox, and do i have all the roms i want for the emulator in the same folder labeled Gameboy? Or do i need a new folder named roms?

Cynder

Cynder

Local Weird Guy
AzzidReign Jr Mythical Veteran Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
So I just put the emulator in a folder (like a gameboy emulator inside a folder named Gameboy) and put it into a folder named Emulators on the xbox, and do i have all the roms i want for the emulator in the same folder labeled Gameboy? Or do i need a new folder named roms?
I think it depends on the emulator but usually you can put roms anywhere because once you start up the emulator it will ask you to find where the roms are so you can select one and start playing

G

gladesteen

Reaction score
Sin$
does it need to be a crossover cable going from wireless router to xbox? I cannot get FTP to connect at all. I've tried several settings / changes / cables / 3 types of FTP software / ........ridiculous.

Last edited:
G

gladesteen

Reaction score
Sin$
does it need to be a crossover cable going from wireless router to xbox? I cannot get FTP to connect at all. I've tried several settings / changes / cables / 3 types of FTP software / ........ridiculous. Almost 8 hrs just to FTP files!

OK -- i finally figured this out! P L E A S E update your tutorial so this does not happen to others.

#1 - The screenshot you provide and say to 'mimic' your screen to mine is wrong. You MUST enable DHCP (not static) so that your router/server/etc. produces an IP address for your XBOX. So, please update this first!

#2 - The IP address for FTP is not the one in the screenshot. You dont say that it is, but given the previous error of not enabling DHCP the ONLY ip address you are going to see is the 192.168.0.2.
The way you get the correct IP address is to power on your xbox, and then connect xbox to router. The router will give the xbox an IP address. The IP address you need for FTP will be on the lower left side of the main screen. You will see DHCP next to it also.
****Hint Hint --- screenshot*****

PLEASE update your tutorial. The DHCP vs STATIC issue is a major flaw.

Hope this helps others.

mark

B

BlueTheGoliath

Reaction score
Sin$
Can someone help me out? i do everything right and put the correct folders onto the compatible usb but the files dont show up when i plug it into my xbox?

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
OK -- i finally figured this out! P L E A S E update your tutorial so this does not happen to others.

#1 - The screenshot you provide and say to 'mimic' your screen to mine is wrong. You MUST enable DHCP (not static) so that your router/server/etc. produces an IP address for your XBOX. So, please update this first!

#2 - The IP address for FTP is not the one in the screenshot. You dont say that it is, but given the previous error of not enabling DHCP the ONLY ip address you are going to see is the 192.168.0.2.
The way you get the correct IP address is to power on your xbox, and then connect xbox to router. The router will give the xbox an IP address. The IP address you need for FTP will be on the lower left side of the main screen. You will see DHCP next to it also.
****Hint Hint --- screenshot*****

PLEASE update your tutorial. The DHCP vs STATIC issue is a major flaw.

Hope this helps others.

mark
I have no clue how I overlooked that. My mistake. I've added a clarification to the OP. Thank you for letting me know.

PISSTAKER

PISSTAKER

Reaction score
Sin$
So, potentially stupid question incoming, but my Xbox is too far from my router or my computer to wire it, so I bought this to try and get around that. The problem is I know nothing about networking and the information I entered in Filezilla didn't work and now I don't know what to do.

Edit: Nevermind, I just had to restart my xbox after switching from static to DHCP and grab the new IP

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Login
Register